Mailing List Archive

problem installing a package that uses meson instead of the regular autotools system
Hi there. I am trying to use gentoo to install an updated version of
orca which is a screen reader for linux. They have switched overr to
using meson build system. So, I have done this so far:
src_prepare() {
mkdir _build
default
}

src_configure() {
meson setup -D prefix=/usr _build
meson compile -C _build
}

src_install() {
meson install -C _build
}

Now what I have run into is the install wants to access things which
only root can access and so perrmission is denied. Most other builds
install into an image directory, should I change the prefix to image
and will then the ebuild automatically install to the right place, or
is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: problem installing a package that uses meson instead of the regular autotools system [ In reply to ]
On 2024-02-04, John Covici wrote:

> Hi there. I am trying to use gentoo to install an updated version of
> orca which is a screen reader for linux. They have switched overr to
> using meson build system. So, I have done this so far:
> src_prepare() {
> mkdir _build
> default
> }
>
> src_configure() {
> meson setup -D prefix=/usr _build
> meson compile -C _build
> }
>
> src_install() {
> meson install -C _build
> }
>
> Now what I have run into is the install wants to access things which
> only root can access and so perrmission is denied. Most other builds
> install into an image directory, should I change the prefix to image
> and will then the ebuild automatically install to the right place, or
> is there something else I should be doing?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'm sure somebody else will have more experience and practical advice
regarding this, but one thing I noticed in the ebuild code above:
have you tried using the meson eclass?

(man meson.eclass, if you have app-doc/eclass-manpages)

--
Nuno Silva