installkernel stuff.

'make help' says
install - Install kernel using (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
(distribution) /sbin/installkernel or install to
$(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo

So I guess that I want the 'install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo'
behaviour that i'm used to. How to i get 'make install' to ignore
/sbin/installkernel ?
Re: 'make install' hijacked by installkernel ? [ In reply to ]
240126 Adam Carter wrote:
> I just tried to install a new kernel using 'make install'
> only to find that the behaviour has changed
> and it appears to be running a bunch on installkernel stuff.
>
> 'make help' says
> install - Install kernel using (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
> (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or install to
> $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
>
> So I guess that I want the 'install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo'
> behaviour that i'm used to.
> How to i get 'make install' to ignore /sbin/installkernel ?

I too just installed a new kernel (6.6.13). My notes told me to do :

make && make firmware_install && make modules_install
mount /boot
cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-<nn>-gentoo-r<n>
cp System.map /boot/System.map-<nn>-gentoo-r<n>

which worked with the appropriate version numbers inserted,
but not before it choked on 'make firmware_install', which has disappeared.
I too use Lilo, a simple + reliable boot manager.

I have long wondered why the compile stage takes so long :
it compiles innumerable .o files,
which seem to involve config options I haven't chosen.
The new kernel image is size 17633728 via 'ls -l /boot' : is that correct ?
It does indeed boot & there are no changes in behaviour.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet
Re: 'make install' hijacked by installkernel ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 at 10:55, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tried to install a new kernel using 'make install' only to find that the behaviour has changed and it appears to be running a bunch on installkernel stuff.
>
> 'make help' says
> install - Install kernel using (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
> (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or install to
> $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
>
> So I guess that I want the 'install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo' behaviour that i'm used to. How to i get 'make install' to ignore /sbin/installkernel ?

I think 'make install' has always called installkernel, but this was
previously provided by sys-apps/debianutils. For reasons that I
haven't investigated too much, this is now 'forked' and provided by
the installkernel package, so as I understand it, having the
installkernel binary provides the behaviour that you're used to.

Regards,
Arve
Re: 'make install' hijacked by installkernel ? [ In reply to ]
Adam Carter <adamcarter3@gmail.com> writes:

> I just tried to install a new kernel using 'make install' only to find that
> the behaviour has changed and it appears to be running a bunch on
> installkernel stuff.
>
> 'make help' says
> install - Install kernel using (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
> (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or install to
> $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
>
> So I guess that I want the 'install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo'
> behaviour that i'm used to. How to i get 'make install' to ignore
> /sbin/installkernel ?

I had to change the use flags

sys-kernel/installkernel -dracut -systemd

With "dracut", it now ran dracut automatically, duplicating my install
script.

With "systemd", it installed the new kernel in a subdirectory of /boot,
named by 32 random hex characters and also created a "loader"
subdirectory.

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience
Re: 'make install' hijacked by installkernel ? [ In reply to ]
Adam Carter schrieb am 26.01.24 um 10:55:
> I just tried to install a new kernel using 'make install' only to find that
> the behaviour has changed and it appears to be running a bunch on
> installkernel stuff.
>
> 'make help' says
> install - Install kernel using (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
> (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or install to
> $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
>
> So I guess that I want the 'install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo'
> behaviour that i'm used to. How to i get 'make install' to ignore
> /sbin/installkernel ?

There is a news item related to installkernel [1]. Probably worth
reading it!

[1]
https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2024-01-18-installkernel-merge.html

--