Mailing List Archive

Qustions about installkernel news item
https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2024-01-18-installkernel-merge.html
for those who haven't run across it yet. The news item mentions...

> Previously sys-kernel/installkernel-gentoo provided kernel
> installation automation for users of GRUB via USE=grub.

I run grub (no dracut) under openrc but "emerge -pv installkernel" shows...

[ebuild U ] sys-kernel/installkernel-18::gentoo [12::gentoo] USE="-dracut* -grub -module-rebuild% -systemd% -uki -ukify" 8 KiB

Does this mean I can safely ignore it in my case?

--
Roses are red
Roses are blue
Re: Qustions about installkernel news item [ In reply to ]
On 24/01/2024 19:58, Walter Dnes wrote:
> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2024-01-18-installkernel-merge.html
> for those who haven't run across it yet. The news item mentions...
>
>> Previously sys-kernel/installkernel-gentoo provided kernel
>> installation automation for users of GRUB via USE=grub.
>
> I run grub (no dracut) under openrc but "emerge -pv installkernel" shows...
>
> [ebuild U ] sys-kernel/installkernel-18::gentoo [12::gentoo] USE="-dracut* -grub -module-rebuild% -systemd% -uki -ukify" 8 KiB
>
> Does this mean I can safely ignore it in my case?

Do you use grub-mkconfig instead of a custom config? If yes, the grub
USE flag will call that for you. You can also disable the dracut USE
flag so you don't get a warning about dracut missing when you "make
install" the new kernel.