Mailing List Archive

chrome-remote-desktop
Is anybody using extension: net-misc/chrome-remote-desktop in Gentoo?

The package installed OK, but Google I think only supports Windows and Mac.
Re: chrome-remote-desktop [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 9:01?AM Thelma <thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:

> Is anybody using extension: net-misc/chrome-remote-desktop in Gentoo?
>
> The package installed OK, but Google I think only supports Windows and
Mac.

OK, I hesitate to delve into this too much but I did use it a 5-6 years ago
on Gentoo, but mostly for Gentoo-to-Gentoo connections. It did work but
then Google said they were going to start charging to use it so I stopped.

It was, at least at the time, Google's proprietary protocol and IIRC
required
that I use google-chrome in some way which I no longer remember

Today I don't run Gentoo anymore but for Kubuntu-to-Kubuntu and
Kubuntu-to-Raspberry Pi/Stellarmate which is Debian based I
use VNC Viewer which works fine for my needs. If you don't figure
this one out you might try that. The instructions for setting it up were
at RealVNC's web site.

Good luck & HTH,
Mark
Re: chrome-remote-desktop [ In reply to ]
On 1/24/24 13:24, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 9:01?AM Thelma <thelma@sys-concept.com <mailto:thelma@sys-concept.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Is anybody using extension: net-misc/chrome-remote-desktop in Gentoo?
> >
> > The package installed OK, but Google I think only supports Windows and Mac.
>
> OK, I hesitate to delve into this too much but I did use it a 5-6 years ago
> on Gentoo, but mostly for Gentoo-to-Gentoo connections. It did work but
> then Google said they were going to start charging to use it so I stopped.
>
> It was, at least at the time, Google's proprietary protocol and IIRC required
> that I use google-chrome in some way which I no longer remember
>
> Today I don't run Gentoo anymore but for Kubuntu-to-Kubuntu and
> Kubuntu-to-Raspberry Pi/Stellarmate which is Debian based I
> use VNC Viewer which works fine for my needs. If you don't figure
> this one out you might try that. The instructions for setting it up were
> at RealVNC's web site.
>
> Good luck & HTH,
> Mark

I tried with Linux --> Windows and it works and is still free, and I don't think
they will charge for it as there are lots of alternatives.Installed on one of my Gentoo running XFCE
and it installed without any problems but after starting Google Remote Desktop and trying to setup
remote access on to Gentoo it showed up a message that setup remote access is only available for Windows and Mac.

Linux to Linux x2to go works well over openVPN and is secure.