Mailing List Archive

downloading from cell phone to Gentoo
I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.

I've tried doing it with Manjaro & it works. It is vital
to have Athene awake when the USB connection is plugged into ANB6 :
a notice pops up asking to 'Allow', which I did.
Manjaro puts up its own notice, announcing a new device & asking what to do ;
I opened it in Dolphin, which shows Athene's Gallery
under GalaxyA145G -> Internal storage -> DCIM -> Camera ,
which lists the photo images ;
Dolphin can then copy them to its own file system readily
& Gwenview shows them correctly.

Normally on Gentoo, I mount devices -- eg USB sticks -- by hand,
ie 'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb' or 'musb' for short (via .bashrc ).
I've looked at KDE device settings under Hardware -> Removable Storage ,
checked the box 'on attach' & tried with each of the 3 offerings,
ie 'All known / Attached / Disconnected Devices', but no joy.

Athene shows a recharging message, but nothing else happens, incl in ANB6
(Athene does indeed recharge while this is going on).
There is no change in output from 'ls /dev' or in Dolphin
(my usual file manager is Krusader, but Dolphin works for Manjaro).

Manjaro suggests soomething called 'MTP' is involved,
perhaps 'Media Transfer Protocol' (?).

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this to work on Gentoo ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/24 20:28, Philip Webb wrote:
> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.
>
> I've tried doing it with Manjaro & it works. It is vital
> to have Athene awake when the USB connection is plugged into ANB6 :
> a notice pops up asking to 'Allow', which I did.
> Manjaro puts up its own notice, announcing a new device & asking what to do ;
> I opened it in Dolphin, which shows Athene's Gallery
> under GalaxyA145G -> Internal storage -> DCIM -> Camera ,
> which lists the photo images ;
> Dolphin can then copy them to its own file system readily
> & Gwenview shows them correctly.
>
> Normally on Gentoo, I mount devices -- eg USB sticks -- by hand,
> ie 'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb' or 'musb' for short (via .bashrc ).
> I've looked at KDE device settings under Hardware -> Removable Storage ,
> checked the box 'on attach' & tried with each of the 3 offerings,
> ie 'All known / Attached / Disconnected Devices', but no joy.
>
> Athene shows a recharging message, but nothing else happens, incl in ANB6
> (Athene does indeed recharge while this is going on).
> There is no change in output from 'ls /dev' or in Dolphin
> (my usual file manager is Krusader, but Dolphin works for Manjaro).
>
> Manjaro suggests soomething called 'MTP' is involved,
> perhaps 'Media Transfer Protocol' (?).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this to work on Gentoo ?

I am not on Gentoo anymore but Ubuntu and did have trouble connecting
dolphin to my android phone. I had to install the packages kio-mtp and
mtp-tools. I see in the package list on Ubuntu those package names are
no longer used and it appears that kio-mtp was moved to kio-extras. The
link below talks about MTP on Gentoo and mentions kio-extras and the
need to have the mtp USE flag.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MTP

As a side note, with dolphin and Ubuntu something prevents dolphin from
accessing the phone when I first plug into a USB port until I close out
dolphin, disconnect the USB port, plug it back in and restart dolphin.
Then I can access the phone and the SDcard it has. It is annoying and I
think it has something to do with the gvfs interfering but have not
tracked down the cause yet.

Hope this helps you.
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
[resending from the correct, subscribed, email address]

Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> writes:

> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G

> Manjaro suggests soomething called 'MTP' is involved,
> perhaps 'Media Transfer Protocol' (?).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this to work on Gentoo ?

This works for me

# qfile /usr/bin/simple-mtpfs
sys-fs/simple-mtpfs: /usr/bin/simple-mtpfs

Though sometimes I've had problems, fixed in the latest sources
available from <https://github.com/Cyp/simple-mtpfs.git> but the Gentoo
version is currently the same as that on github last time I pulled.

[as root]
simple-mtpfs --device 1 -o allow_other,ro /mnt/phone

[as normal user, copy]
rsync ...

[again, as root]
fusermount -u /mnt/phone

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/24 22:28, Philip Webb wrote:
> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.
>
> I've tried doing it with Manjaro & it works. It is vital
> to have Athene awake when the USB connection is plugged into ANB6 :
> a notice pops up asking to 'Allow', which I did.
> Manjaro puts up its own notice, announcing a new device & asking what to do ;
> I opened it in Dolphin, which shows Athene's Gallery
> under GalaxyA145G -> Internal storage -> DCIM -> Camera ,
> which lists the photo images ;
> Dolphin can then copy them to its own file system readily
> & Gwenview shows them correctly.
>
> Normally on Gentoo, I mount devices -- eg USB sticks -- by hand,
> ie 'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb' or 'musb' for short (via .bashrc ).
> I've looked at KDE device settings under Hardware -> Removable Storage ,
> checked the box 'on attach' & tried with each of the 3 offerings,
> ie 'All known / Attached / Disconnected Devices', but no joy.
>
> Athene shows a recharging message, but nothing else happens, incl in ANB6
On my phone (ancient Motorola, running an ancient version of Android)
when I plug it in, not only does it say it is charging, but it also says
how it is connected and tap to change.  Are you sure the phone itself is
in MTP mode or (I've forgotten the name) which is the one I think more
likely to need the full path you showed above.  You might hunt through
the phone settings to find one which controls how it connects.  Note I
say this to be compulsive, since it works under Manjaro.  As another bit
of info, how is it identified by lsusb?
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Philip,

On Wednesday, 2024-01-17 22:28:27 -0500, you wrote:

> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.

If all else fails, you could use "adb" from package "dev-util/android-
tools". However, "adb" requires "USB Debugging" to be enabled on the
cell phone. This option can be found under "Settings -> Developer Op-
tions" (if the "Developer Options" are still hidden in the "Settings"
menu, make them visible once and forever by opening "Settings -> About
Device -> Software Information" and tapping "Build Number" seven times).

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
On 2024-01-18, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.

MTP can be a bit tempermental if that's what's being used. It's been
around for enough years that it should "jsut work", but that's still
no my experience, even with recent phones. I usually fire up an sftp
server on the phone and do file transfers via Wifi. I find it to be
less hassle and faster.
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Il 18/01/24 04:28, Philip Webb ha scritto:
> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.
> Manjaro suggests soomething called 'MTP' is involved,
> perhaps 'Media Transfer Protocol' (?).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this to work on Gentoo ?

No KDE nor GNOME here but this works in XFCE:

 $ eix -I gvfs
[I] gnome-base/gvfs
     Available versions:  1.50.6^t 1.52.1^t (~)1.52.2^t {afp archive
bluray cdda elogind fuse gnome-online-accounts google gphoto2 +http ios
keyring mtp nfs policykit samba systemd test +udev udisks zeroconf}
     Installed versions:  1.52.2^t(19:26:52 01/11/24)(cdda elogind fuse
http mtp policykit udev udisks -afp -archive -bluray
-gnome-online-accounts -google -gphoto2 -ios -keyring -nfs -samba
-systemd -test -zeroconf)
     Homepage:            https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gvfs

Note the mtp USE which pulls in:

[I] media-libs/libmtp
     Available versions:  1.1.21(0/9) **9999(0/9)*l {+crypt doc
examples static-libs}
     Installed versions:  1.1.21(0/9)(01:14:47 11/15/23)(crypt -doc
-examples -static-libs)
     Homepage:            https://libmtp.sourceforge.net/
Protocol (MTP)

The phone auto-mounts as soon as you switch Android to 'file transfer'
and works well for me, less so for my daughter when she tries to
transfer 10's of Gb of videos.

raf
>> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
>> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
>> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.

>MTP can be a bit tempermental if that's what's being used. It's been
>around for enough years that it should "jsut work", but that's still
>no my experience, even with recent phones. I usually fire up an sftp
>server on the phone and do file transfers via Wifi. I find it to be
>less hassle and faster.

I've been using KDE Connect for quite awhile, you should give it a shot. It's in the main gentoo portage tree, and once you install it, it'll give a link to the android apk in the install completion info.
>> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
>> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
>> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.

>MTP can be a bit tempermental if that's what's being used. It's been
>around for enough years that it should "jsut work", but that's still
>no my experience, even with recent phones. I usually fire up an sftp
>server on the phone and do file transfers via Wifi. I find it to be
>less hassle and faster.

I've been using KDE Connect for quite awhile, you should give it a shot. It's in the main gentoo portage tree, and once you install it, it'll give a link to the android apk in the install completion info.

Forgot to add, KDE Connect opens a port on your computer and phone for the app to connect, it uses my WiFi, so no need for a transfer cable of any kind.
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
240117 Philip Webb wrote:
> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.

Thanks for the many replies, which offer as many different methods.
I'll try them out & report back.

One further important question : do I need to enable Fuse in the kernel ?

Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> writes:

> One further important question : do I need to enable Fuse in the kernel ?

> From the man page for simple-mtpfs:

"SIMPLE-MTPFS (Simple Media Transfer Protocol FileSystem) is a file
system for Linux (and other operating systems with a FUSE
implementation, such as Mac OS X or FreeBSD) capable of operating on
files on MTP devices attached via USB to local machine. On the local
computer where the SIMPLE-MTPFS is mounted, the implementation makes use
of the FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) kernel module. The practical
effect of this is that the end user can seamlessly interact with MTP
device files."

Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo [ In reply to ]
On 2024-01-18, Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 240117 Philip Webb wrote:
>> I want to be able to download photos from my new cellphone to Gentoo.
>> The phone is a Samsung A14 5G ; its pet name is Athene.
>> I use KDE to manage my desktops on my desktop machine ANB6.
>
> Thanks for the many replies, which offer as many different methods.
> I'll try them out & report back.
>
> One further important question : do I need to enable Fuse in the kernel ?

All of the mtp implementations I've tried were user-space filesystems,
so for those you will need Fuse enabled in the kernel. There may be
MTP clients that act more like remote filesystem browsers and don't
use an unerlying Fuse filesystem. It would be cool if someting like
Filezilla spoke MTP.
Re: downloading from cell phone to Gentoo : solved [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the advice offered recently.

The simple method which works is

(1) enable 'fuse-fs' in kernel ;
(2) re-merge Kio-extras with USE="mtp" ;
(3) wake phone, plug in USB connection at both ends ;
(4) on phone, tap 'allow' to access data ;
(5) on Gentoo, Dolphin shows 'SAMSUNG_Android' under 'Devices' ;
(6) goto 'Internal storage/DCIM/Camera' ;
(7) view w Gwenview, which offers to save the photo as your choice.

This relies on KDE's internal use of Fuse, which simplifies actions.
The device appears as /dev/libmtp...
which is a symlink to /dev/bus/003/009 (or similar),
which is not a block device & can't be mounted via 'mount'.
KDE uses some version of Fuse to access it & offer its contents.

HTH others.