locales disabled. But I just ran a pretend emerge and I got...

www-client/google-chrome-120.0.6099.199::gentoo [119.0.6045.199::gentoo] USE="-qt5 -qt6 (-selinux)" L10N="af am ar bg bn ca cs da de el en-GB es es-419 et fa fi fil fr gu he hi hr hu id it ja kn ko lt lv ml mr ms nb nl pl pt-BR pt-PT ro ru sk sl sr sv sw ta te th tr uk ur vi zh-CN zh-TW"

Is it really necessary, and if not how can I turn it off?

--
Roses are red
Roses are blue
Depending on their velocity
Relative to you
Re: Google Chrome going nuts with L10N ? [ In reply to ]
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> I seem to remember that Google Chrome used to build with all L10N
> locales disabled. But I just ran a pretend emerge and I got...
>
> www-client/google-chrome [...] L10N="af am ..."

It seems that the use flags default to "on".

> how can I turn it off?

/etc/pportage/package.use/l10n
(or some other file in that directory or the file package.use):

www-client/google-chrome L10N: -* en-GB

Here, en-GB is just a random example for a locale which should
be active; you can append more or none.

If you want to avoid similar “problems” with other packages,
you can alternatively set

*/* L10N: -*

and then just specify the locales you want explicitly:

www-client/google-chrome L10N: en-GB