# env -i eix-installed all | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
app-portage/eix-0.36.7
media-libs/libmpg123-1.32.3-r1
#

Are there any "eix" gurus out there who can tell me how to trick "eix"
into listing _all_ packages?

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: "eix" doesn't find a freshly installed package [ In reply to ]
On 1/7/24 12:24, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> during my last routine upgrade package "media-video/vlc" installed new
> dependency "media-libs/libmpg123". However, after installation "eix"
> did not list the new package, while "eix-installed" did:
>
> # eix-update --quiet
> # env -i eix | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
> [I] app-portage/eix
> # env -i eix-installed all | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
> app-portage/eix-0.36.7
> media-libs/libmpg123-1.32.3-r1
> #
>
> Are there any "eix" gurus out there who can tell me how to trick "eix"
> into listing _all_ packages?
>
> Sincerely,
> Rainer

Well the package in question is called media-sound/mpg123-base, so
there's that. Also, not sure why you would want to grep the output of
eix like that. eix -# 'app-portage/eix|media-sound/mpg123-base' will
give you very similar output, but there are other output options that
will give other output that might be more desirable for you.
Re: "eix" doesn't find a freshly installed package [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 at 18:24, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> during my last routine upgrade package "media-video/vlc" installed new
> dependency "media-libs/libmpg123". However, after installation "eix"
> did not list the new package, while "eix-installed" did:
>
> # eix-update --quiet
> # env -i eix | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
> [I] app-portage/eix
> # env -i eix-installed all | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
> app-portage/eix-0.36.7
> media-libs/libmpg123-1.32.3-r1
> #
>
> Are there any "eix" gurus out there who can tell me how to trick "eix"
> into listing _all_ packages?

I'm no "eix guru", but reading the man page to show me what the '-i'
flag does pretty much explain why it would exclude many packages. You
probably want the capital '-I' version to list installed packages.

Regards,
Arve
Re: "eix" doesn't find a freshly installed package [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 at 19:41, Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 at 18:24, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > during my last routine upgrade package "media-video/vlc" installed new
> > dependency "media-libs/libmpg123". However, after installation "eix"
> > did not list the new package, while "eix-installed" did:
> >
> > # eix-update --quiet
> > # env -i eix | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
> > [I] app-portage/eix
> > # env -i eix-installed all | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
> > app-portage/eix-0.36.7
> > media-libs/libmpg123-1.32.3-r1
> > #
> >
> > Are there any "eix" gurus out there who can tell me how to trick "eix"
> > into listing _all_ packages?
>
> I'm no "eix guru", but reading the man page to show me what the '-i'
> flag does pretty much explain why it would exclude many packages. You
> probably want the capital '-I' version to list installed packages.

Right, ignore that, I see the '-i' flag was to 'env'. But running eix
on its own by default only outputs 50 packages, so there's that.

Regards,
Arve
Re: "eix" doesn't find a freshly installed package [ In reply to ]
On 1/7/24 12:35, Michael Cook wrote:
> On 1/7/24 12:24, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> during my last routine upgrade  package "media-video/vlc" installed new
>> dependency  "media-libs/libmpg123".   However,  after installation "eix"
>> did not list the new package, while "eix-installed" did:
>>
>>     # eix-update --quiet
>>     # env -i eix | grep -E 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
>>     [I] app-portage/eix
>>     # env -i eix-installed all | grep -E
>> 'app-portage/eix|media-libs/libmpg123'
>>     app-portage/eix-0.36.7
>>     media-libs/libmpg123-1.32.3-r1
>>     #
>>
>> Are there any "eix" gurus out there  who can tell me  how to trick "eix"
>> into listing _all_ packages?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>    Rainer
>>
> Well the package in question is called media-sound/mpg123-base, so
> there's that. Also, not sure why you would want to grep the output of
> eix like that. eix -# 'app-portage/eix|media-sound/mpg123-base' will
> give you very similar output, but there are other output options that
> will give other output that might be more desirable for you.

I do have to follow up on this, the package was renamed, you probably
need to run an update with --changed-deps passed and it will get back
into a good state. eix isn't finding the package because it doesn't
exist anymore.
Re: "eix" doesn't find a freshly installed package [ In reply to ]
Arve,

On Sunday, 2024-01-07 19:43:31 +0100, you wrote:

> running eix
> on its own by default only outputs 50 packages, so there's that.

Not here:

# env -i eix | grep -v : | grep -c /
24900
#

Where do you take this limit from?

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: "eix" doesn't find a freshly installed package [ In reply to ]
Michael,

On Sunday, 2024-01-07 14:21:20 -0500, you wrote:

> I do have to follow up on this, the package was renamed,

Bingo! That's it. Soon after my last routine upgrade which installed
"media-video/vlc" version 3.0.20-r2 and its new dependency "media-libs/
libmpg123" I inadvertently run another "emaint sync" which caused the
"-r2" version of "vlc" not being available any longer and the now avai-
lable version "-r3" with its renamed dependency not yet being installed.

So another upgrade (currently running) will indeed resolve this.

Many thanks :-)

Sincerely,
Rainer
Re: "eix" doesn't find a freshly installed package [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 8 Jan 2024 at 11:18, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com> wrote:
> > running eix
> > on its own by default only outputs 50 packages, so there's that.
>
> Where do you take this limit from?

Running eix in any way that produces more than 50 package results, it
shows this for me:

Only 50 matches displayed on terminal
Set EIX_LIMIT=0 to show all matches

I can only assume that it detects that the output is a pipe and
ignores this limit.

Not going to investigate, as you found your answers :)

Cheers,
Arve