Support for this controller was added in kernel 6.3 or so, but the
support is extremely half-assed because it doesn't deal with this
specific quirk. Currently on 6.6.9 here but this was never fixed.
Re: udev rule for periodic polling of USB gamepad? [ In reply to ]
On 1/3/24 12:33, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Is it possible to have a USB controller (8BitDo Pro 2) polled every
> second or so with a udev rule? Or through some other mechanism?
>
> This controller has a quirk where it disconnects every 4 seconds or so
> and rubmbles when it does so. It also changes device number when this
> happens. It does this because it tries to auto-detects the kind of
> system it has been plugged into (like an XBox, Android, a Nintendo
> Switch, whatever.)
>
> Support for this controller was added in kernel 6.3 or so, but the
> support is extremely half-assed because it doesn't deal with this
> specific quirk. Currently on 6.6.9 here but this was never fixed.

I do not have this issue. I have the switch on the back of the
controller set to the X position and just connect over bluethooth
without any issues.

https://codeberg.org/fabiscafe/game-devices-udev I do have these udev
rules installed, unsure if they fix the issue you're talking about.
Re: udev rule for periodic polling of USB gamepad? [ In reply to ]
On 03/01/2024 19:53, Michael Cook wrote:
> On 1/3/24 12:33, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Is it possible to have a USB controller (8BitDo Pro 2) polled every
>> second or so with a udev rule? Or through some other mechanism?
>>
>> This controller has a quirk where it disconnects every 4 seconds or so
>> and rubmbles when it does so. [...]
>>
> I do not have this issue. I have the switch on the back of the
> controller set to the X position and just connect over bluethooth
> without any issues.

Mine does not have bluetooth. It's the "wired" version. It also doesn't
have switch. Switching modes works by simply holding down one of the
buttons when connecting. It auto detects X-Input when connecting it to a
PC. Holding down the X button will unfortunately not prevent it from
still doing auto-detection stuff when it doesn't get polled for several
seconds.

> https://codeberg.org/fabiscafe/game-devices-udev I do have these udev
> rules installed, unsure if they fix the issue you're talking about.

I have those too.