and VirtualBox-7 incompatibility with Windows-7 will force me to ditch Linux :-/

--
Thelma
Re: Virtualbox 7 [ In reply to ]
On 21/12/2023 05:48, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I run Windows 7 in VirualBox-6 and it runs relatively fast but after
> upgrade to VirtualBox-7 (7.0.10) I noticed
> users weren't able to access Windows-7 server; the network got almost
> non responsive.  I've notice same with earlier VirtualBox-7.0.8 (something)
> I've found many post complaining about similar problems with VirtualBox-7
>
> What changes did they introduced in VirtualBox-7 that make it unusable?

If it ran reasonably fast, well, think yourself unusual.

I run XP, and although I've got a Win7 box, I never run it, it always
felt dreadfully slow - and that's going back years. I doubt they've
changed anything, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a default config. I
don't tend to dig in to that, so I wouldn't know what to change.

Plus, of course, changing things tends to break Windows' authentication :-(

Cheers,
Wol44
Re: Virtualbox 7 [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 21 December 2023 07:44:32 GMT Wols Lists wrote:
> On 21/12/2023 05:48, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > I run Windows 7 in VirualBox-6 and it runs relatively fast but after
> > upgrade to VirtualBox-7 (7.0.10) I noticed
> > users weren't able to access Windows-7 server; the network got almost
> > non responsive. I've notice same with earlier VirtualBox-7.0.8
> > (something)
> > I've found many post complaining about similar problems with VirtualBox-7
> >
> > What changes did they introduced in VirtualBox-7 that make it unusable?
>
> If it ran reasonably fast, well, think yourself unusual.
>
> I run XP, and although I've got a Win7 box, I never run it, it always
> felt dreadfully slow - and that's going back years. I doubt they've
> changed anything, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a default config. I
> don't tend to dig in to that, so I wouldn't know what to change.
>
> Plus, of course, changing things tends to break Windows' authentication :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Wol44

I don't know about thelma's Win7 Server problem, but Win7 Home runs as
sluggishly here on app-emulation/virtualbox-7.0.10-r1, as it ever did. The
primary causes of said sluggishness are Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge,
neither of which are updatable on Win7 since 2020.

The problem is not related to the Chrome browser engine itself, but to the
multiple processes it spawns. Worst of all is "Software_Reporter_Tool.exe"
which scans your system supposedly to report to Google applications /
incompatible/ with Chrome browser. Once you kill this process along with
Chrome, Edge and

GoogleCrashHandler64.exe
GoogleCrashHandler.exe *32

MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe *32

the CPU and disk will be freed and Win7 becomes responsive.