Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Open source network monitoring / intrusion detection recommendations? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, December 21, 2023 8:53:05 A.M. AEDT Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a couple of older, by today's standards not very powerful,
> laptops and I was considering setting up some sort of network monitoring
> aimed mostly at watching for intrusion events but also just network traffic
> and resource issues. I'm wondering what you all might be using for that
> sort of stuff in the home environment? The network has Linux, Windows,
> Chromebox and Android devices along with a number of smart TV's.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I haven't used any of them, but this article lists 6 options.
I'd already heard of Kali, but you might find what you are after here:

https://www.comptia.org/blog/linux-distributions-for-ethical-hacking-and-pen-testing

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
Re: Open source network monitoring / intrusion detection recommendations? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 4:38?PM Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@andor.dropbear.id.au>
wrote:

> On Thursday, December 21, 2023 8:53:05 A.M. AEDT Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a couple of older, by today's standards not very powerful,
> > laptops and I was considering setting up some sort of network monitoring
> > aimed mostly at watching for intrusion events but also just network
traffic
> > and resource issues. I'm wondering what you all might be using for that
> > sort of stuff in the home environment? The network has Linux, Windows,
> > Chromebox and Android devices along with a number of smart TV's.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>

> I haven't used any of them, but this article lists 6 options.
> I'd already heard of Kali, but you might find what you are after here:

https://www.comptia.org/blog/linux-distributions-for-ethical-hacking-and-pen-testing

Paul,
Thanks. I know of Kali but I'm not looking to hack, just to monitor my
network,
preferably with an app that has a GUI interface. One of the apps I've looked
is Zabbix for network monitoring but there are a lot of options:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_network_monitoring_systems

For intrusion detection I've not found anything I'd feel comfortable running
myself.

Nonetheless thanks for your suggestion.

Mark