Mailing List Archive

Making old SSD bootable with EFI
I have two disks in one system:

1.) Old SSD and I'm trying to make the bootable partition with EFI
(note this system has not been upgraded in over 5-years, so upgrading it is not possible)
It just runs two old programs from this disk.  The disk comes from an old Atom - computer so I installed in a new computer Intel i5

The new computer  had this old SSD disk installed in addition it has a new nvme-disk.  This nvme runs the current Gentoo.

The old SSD had a bootable partition /dev/sda1 ext2 which I mounted on nmve-disk and made an old kernel backup to /boot_backup on the same SSD drive.
- I deleted the /dev/sda1 partition and created new partition EFI System and format it as vfat:
mkfs.fat -F 32 /dev/sda1
- mounted the new sda1 partition under /atom/efi (root partition /dev/sda3 is mounted in dir: /atom)
- run:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/atom/efi

- copied to SSD /boot dir. all the old kernel files (I backup previously):
System.map-current
config-current
kernel-current

run:
grub-mkconfig -o /atom/boot/grub/grub.cfg

The old /boot/grub had old file: grub.conf with entries:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal

but so the above command generated new file: grub.cfg with new entries and took my kernel files from nvme-disk:  vmlinuz-6.1.57-gentoo
'Gentoo GNU/Linux, with Linux 6.1.57-gentoo' not my old kerenel files from "/atom/boot"

In /efi/EFI/genoo directory there is binary file:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 135168 Dec  6 13:38 grubx64.efi

Does this file  grubx64.efi point to the boot directory and configuration file: grub.cfg ?

I have noticed grub-install has some options like:  --boot-directory=DIR
would it help somehow to point to /atom/boot directory so it can use:
"kernel-current" instead of "vmlinuz-6.1.57-gentoo"
example:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/atom/efi --boot-directory=/atom/boot

Or is it possible to edit manually grub.cfg even though it says # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

2.) Another solution is I could bootstrap the old SSD /dev/sda and try to try to install with grub
but that grub is and old version 0.97-something and is not compiled with "GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64"

--
Thelma