I just need to send myself an email from the command line to test postfix.

--
Thelma
Re: mailto net-mail/metamail [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 18:45:00 -0700, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

> I think "mailto" used to be part of the package net-mail/metamail
> But I think is long time gone.
>
> What is the replacement?
> I just need to send myself an email from the command line to test
> postfix.

echo "testing" | mail -s "test mail" thelma@sys-concept.com

It's in mail-client/mailx

--
Neil Bothwick

Hm..what's this red button fo|'\xBB.'NO CARRIER
Re: mailto net-mail/metamail [ In reply to ]
On 12/6/23 00:56, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 18:45:00 -0700, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>
>> I think "mailto" used to be part of the package net-mail/metamail
>> But I think is long time gone.
>>
>> What is the replacement?
>> I just need to send myself an email from the command line to test
>> postfix.
>
> echo "testing" | mail -s "test mail" thelma@sys-concept.com
>
> It's in mail-client/mailx

Thanks Neil, it worked perfectly.
Re: mailto net-mail/metamail [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 6 December 2023 02:45:00 CET thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I think "mailto" used to be part of the package net-mail/metamail
> But I think is long time gone.
>
> What is the replacement?
> I just need to send myself an email from the command line to test postfix.

Postfix should come with a program to do this, sendmail:

> saiko@polaris ~ % sendmail 'me@dblsaiko.net'
> Subject: Test mail
>
> Body content
> foo
> bar
> .
> saiko@polaris ~ %

Of course, that's given you're running it on the same box as the one you set
up Postfix on.

The man page describes it as a compatibility interface for sendmail but I'm
not sure if there's an expliticly Postfix way to do this.

-Marco