source version in the mva overlay.  Why might it only be in an overlay?

This link:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gradle#Availability

links to:

https://github.com/msva/mva-overlay/tree/master/dev-java/gradle

containing 3 files, none of which is 100 lines.

If that's all it takes, why not be part of the distribution?

TIA
Re: gradle as source? How safe are overlays? [ In reply to ]
Usually all gradle projects contain gradle wrappers (gradlew.bat and
gradlew.sh). If you have them, you just need Java and run: ./gradlew build

Viktar

Re: gradle as source? How safe are overlays? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2023-10-16 at 21:29 +0200, n952162 wrote:
> Why might it only be in an overlay?

Because it bundles 100+ other packages. That is inherently a security
risk, although plenty of people use Windows and install all of their
software that way and are perfectly happy on those days of the year
when their documents aren't encrypted by ransomware.
Re: gradle as source? How safe are overlays? [ In reply to ]
That's what I was afraid of hearing .... ;-)