--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:43:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> being blocked.
> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.

No such issues here, on ~amd64.

> That will be an exceptionally long list and today I feel really lazy and
> unwilling :-D
> Has anyone seen what the actual blockers are?
> I spotted okular, I suspect there are more.

Have you tried syncing again, just in case you caught it partway through
a stack of Qt packages being updated?

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 3:59?PM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:43:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> > qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> > being blocked.
> > All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
>
> No such issues here, on ~amd64.

Hmmm. When did you last sync? Forgot to mention I am ~amd too

> > That will be an exceptionally long list and today I feel really lazy and
> > unwilling :-D
> > Has anyone seen what the actual blockers are?
> > I spotted okular, I suspect there are more.
>
> Have you tried syncing again, just in case you caught it partway through
> a stack of Qt packages being updated?

Yes, synced twice today, 2 hours apart. No change

Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On 10/11/23 09:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> being blocked.
> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
I had a similar issue -- I resolved it by uninstalling opensoundmeter
and libreoffice-bin temporarily.

Today's sync/merge is going smoothly so far.

--
cara
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
231011 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> being blocked.
> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.

My experience for some time has been that Qt pkgs block one another,
st the only way out is to unmerge them all, then remerge them all.
If anyone knows a better method, please let us know.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:07?PM Cara Salter <cara@devcara.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/23 09:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> > qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> > being blocked.
> > All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
> I had a similar issue -- I resolved it by uninstalling opensoundmeter
> and libreoffice-bin temporarily.
>
> Today's sync/merge is going smoothly so far.

Strange, eix says no such package as opensoundmeter and libreoffice-bin is
not installed here

Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:14?PM Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> 231011 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> > qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> > being blocked.
> > All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
>
> My experience for some time has been that Qt pkgs block one another,
> st the only way out is to unmerge them all, then remerge them all.
> If anyone knows a better method, please let us know.

My experience is 4 years out of date, I don't recall ever having to do that.

Alan

Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On 10/11/23 10:14, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Strange, eix says no such package as opensoundmeter and libreoffice-bin
> is not installed here

media-sound/opensoundmeter is in ::guru.

Those are just the blockers I had, definitely more to it than that!

--
cara
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On 10/11/23 09:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree
> and being blocked.
> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
>
> That will be an exceptionally long list and today I feel really lazy
> and unwilling :-D
> Has anyone seen what the actual blockers are?
> I spotted okular, I suspect there are more.
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

I just --backtrack=100 and walked away, seemed to have figured something
out for my system and updated normally.
world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
231011 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> being blocked.
> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.

My experience for some time has been that Qt pkgs block one another,
st the only way out is to unmerge them all, then remerge them all.
If anyone knows a better method, please let us know

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet
> CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> 231011 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> > qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree
> > and being blocked.
> > All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
>
> My experience for some time has been that Qt pkgs block one another, st the only way out is to unmerge them all, then remerge them all.
> If anyone knows a better method, please let us know

If you don't want to do that, then adding all the currently installed qt packages to the merge list explicitly works as well. If you're good with eix's search and output settings it can be done without too much agony.

LMP
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
Michael Cook wrote:
> On 10/11/23 09:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
>> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree
>> and being blocked.
>> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
>>
>> That will be an exceptionally long list and today I feel really lazy
>> and unwilling :-D
>> Has anyone seen what the actual blockers are?
>> I spotted okular, I suspect there are more.
>>

>> --
>> Alan McKinnon
>> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> I just --backtrack=100 and walked away, seemed to have figured
> something out for my system and updated normally.

I have backtrack set to that by default.  I did that a long time ago
because sometimes it doesn't work out a solution otherwise.  It takes
longer to build the upgrade list sometimes but it figures out the
solution which tends to save time in the long run.  You may want to add
that to emerge defaults in make.conf.  Oh, don't forget to add -1 to so
that the world file stays clean.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
Philip Webb wrote:
> 231011 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
>> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
>> being blocked.
>> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
> My experience for some time has been that Qt pkgs block one another,
> st the only way out is to unmerge them all, then remerge them all.
> If anyone knows a better method, please let us know

I haven't ran into anything like that in ages and I have all KDE and qt
packages as unstable.  I wonder why yours does that and mine doesn't?
I'm the one who usually runs into weird problems around here.  What did
I miss?  LOL

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I'm having that problem again with missing replies.  I'm still
missing one of Neil's from several hours ago.  If someone replies and I
don't, I may not have it yet.  :-/
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:04:08 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:43:46 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >
> > > Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> > > qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree
> > > and being blocked.
> > > All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is
> > > needed.
> >
> > No such issues here, on ~amd64.
> >

> Hmmm. When did you last sync? Forgot to mention I am ~amd too

A few hours earliers, but I synced again before replying.

As posted elsewhere, try cranking up --backtrack. I have it set to 20,
which avoids almost all issues without hammering dependency calculation
times.

--
Neil Bothwick

I am Zaphod of Borg. Now, where's the coolest place to be assimilated...
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:49?PM Michael Cook <mackal.cook@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/23 09:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
> being blocked.
> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
>
> That will be an exceptionally long list and today I feel really lazy and
> unwilling :-D
> Has anyone seen what the actual blockers are?
> I spotted okular, I suspect there are more.
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> I just --backtrack=100 and walked away, seemed to have figured something
> out for my system and updated normally.

This is the one that solved it. Been away too long, forgot all about
backtrack

Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On 11/10/2023 17:44, Philip Webb wrote:
> 231011 Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> Today a sync and emerge world produces a huge list of blockers.
>> qt 5.15.10 is currently installed and qt 5.15.11 is new in the tree and
>> being blocked.
>> All the visible blockers are Qt itself so --verbose-conflicts is needed.
>
> My experience for some time has been that Qt pkgs block one another,
> st the only way out is to unmerge them all, then remerge them all.
> If anyone knows a better method, please let us know

I haven't had that in a long time. If I get blocks like that (rare)
--backtrack=100 (or whatever it is) unusually unblocks it.

The other thing is, I don't have any explicit perl code on my system,
but on at least one occasion running perl-cleaner --all unbunged a
problem ...

There's a whole bunch of incantations that are rarely needed but need to
be remembered for when they are ...

Cheers,
Wol
Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On 11/10/2023 21:14, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:49?PM Michael Cook <mackal.cook@gmail.com
> <mailto:mackal.cook@gmail.com>> wrote:
> I just --backtrack=100 and walked away, seemed to have figured
> something out for my system and updated normally.
>
> This is the one that solved it. Been away too long, forgot all about
> backtrack

I've had this in my make.conf for many years now:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--backtrack=200"

Never hit the issue you described (KDE desktop, thus Qt is always a dep.)
Re: Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 12:19?PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/10/2023 21:14, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:49?PM Michael Cook <mackal.cook@gmail.com
> > <mailto:mackal.cook@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > I just --backtrack=100 and walked away, seemed to have figured
> > something out for my system and updated normally.
> >
> > This is the one that solved it. Been away too long, forgot all about
> > backtrack
>
> I've had this in my make.conf for many years now:
>
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--backtrack=200"
>
> Never hit the issue you described (KDE desktop, thus Qt is always a dep.)
>

> Added similar here now. I see the default is 10, obviously that is not
enough when a big Qt drop hits.

I have something like 30 Qt-5 packages! When did it get so big? I recall
building Qt4 and it was about 6 or so.
Perhaps the devs split it up into many smaller packages.

Alan

Re: Re: world updates blocked by Qt [ In reply to ]
On 10/12/23 06:56, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2023 at 12:19?PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 11/10/2023 21:14, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:49?PM Michael Cook <mackal.cook@gmail.com
> > <mailto:mackal.cook@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     I just --backtrack=100 and walked away, seemed to have figured
> >     something out for my system and updated normally.
> >
> > This is the one that solved it. Been away too long, forgot all
> about
> > backtrack
>
> I've had this in my make.conf for many years now:
>
>    EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--backtrack=200"
>
> Never hit the issue you described (KDE desktop, thus Qt is always
> a dep.)
>

> Added similar here now. I see the default is 10, obviously that is not
> enough when a big Qt drop hits.
>
> I have something like 30 Qt-5 packages! When did it get so big? I
> recall building Qt4 and it was about 6 or so.
> Perhaps the devs split it up into many smaller packages.
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

I built this computer in 2018, been using KDE for my desktop and it's
always been on ~amd64. I've had to increase backtrack like twice to
resolve some Qt upgrades, not worth upping the default, would not save time.