--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Sept 2023 at 13:45, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Gentooers,
>
> Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
>
> Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
>
> What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a dependency?

I tend to use
# equery d dev-lang/ruby

equery from app-portage/gentoolkit

Regards,
Arve
Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 2:01?PM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sept 2023 at 13:45, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Gentooers,
> >
> > Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
> >
> > Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
> >
> > What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a dependency?
>
> I tend to use
> # equery d dev-lang/ruby
>
> equery from app-portage/gentoolkit
>
> Regards,
> Arve

Yes, that's the one! thanks!

Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:45:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
>
> Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
>
> What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a dependency?

emerge -cav ruby

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 21 September 2023 13:34:20 BST Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 2:01?PM Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Sept 2023 at 13:45, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hey Gentooers,
> > >
> > > Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
> > >
> > > Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
> > >
> > > What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a dependency?
> >
> > I tend to use
> > # equery d dev-lang/ruby
> >
> > equery from app-portage/gentoolkit
> >
> > Regards,
> > Arve
>
> Yes, that's the one! thanks!

Let's not forget qdepends too:

$ qdepends
usage: qdepends [opts] <pkgname> : show dependency info

-d, --depend * Show DEPEND info
-r, --rdepend * Show RDEPEND infols: /usr/bin/qdepends

-p, --pdepend * Show PDEPEND info
-b, --bdepend * Show BDEPEND info
-I, --idepend * Show IDEPEND info
-Q, --query * Query reverse deps
-i, --installed * Search installed packages using VDB
-t, --tree * Search available ebuilds in the tree
-U, --use * Apply profile USE-flags to conditional deps
-F, --format <arg> * Print matched atom using given format string
-S, --pretty * Pretty format specified depend strings
-R, --resolve * Resolve found dependencies to package versions
--root <arg> * Set the ROOT env var
-v, --verbose * Report full package versions, emit more elaborate
output
-q, --quiet * Tighter output; suppress warnings
-C, --nocolor * Don't output color
--color * Force color in output
-h, --help * Print this help and exit
-V, --version * Print version and exit

$ qfile /usr/bin/qdepends
app-portage/portage-utils: /usr/bin/qdepends
Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2023-09-21 at 16:03 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a dependency?
>
> emerge -cav ruby

emerge --depclean --pretend ruby

No need to ask when you don't actually mean to depclean it... nor could
you if something depended on it.
Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 5:03?PM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:45:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
> >
> > Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
> >
> > What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a dependency?
>
> emerge -cav ruby
>

> Thanks Neil,

but that is the wrong way wrong.

Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On 9/21/23 12:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 5:03?PM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:45:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
> >
> > Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
> >
> > What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a
> dependency?
>
> emerge -cav ruby
>

> Thanks Neil,
>
> but that is the wrong way wrong.
Why do you think so?  Trying to remove ruby will tell you why portage
refuses to do so, and that reason is any installed packages that depend
on it.  This differs from using equery, which will tell you every
package that depends on ruby, whether or not it is installed.  Using -d
instead of -a saves you from typing "N" just in case it IS willing to
unmerge it.
Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 6:35?PM Jack <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:

> On 9/21/23 12:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 5:03?PM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 13:45:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>
>> > Not 100% back in the gentoo groove yet, forget some basic tools.
>> >
>> > Something pulled in ruby, I know not what.
>> >
>> > What commands show me what installed packages have ruby as a dependency?
>>
>> emerge -cav ruby
>>

>> Thanks Neil,
>
> but that is the wrong way wrong.
>
> Why do you think so? Trying to remove ruby will tell you why portage
> refuses to do so, and that reason is any installed packages that depend on
> it. This differs from using equery, which will tell you every package that
> depends on ruby, whether or not it is installed. Using -d instead of -a
> saves you from typing "N" just in case it IS willing to unmerge it.

Because I wanted to know, recursively, what packages depended on ruby, i.e.
I have ruby (which I despise) so why?

The answer is kdenlive which I can see in equery d, and cannot see in
emerge -c

This matters because emerge -avc only gives immediate dependencies, I
wanted to see the full dep tree

Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:21:34 -0400, Matt Connell wrote:

> > emerge -cav ruby
>
> emerge --depclean --pretend ruby
>
> No need to ask when you don't actually mean to depclean it... nor could
> you if something depended on it.

Muscle memory added the --ask, but you do need verbose for this to give
the information you need.

emerge -cpv ruby

--
Neil Bothwick

A real programmer never documents his code.
It was hard to make, it should be hard to read
Re: What is a dependency of ruby [ In reply to ]
On 2023.09.21 13:09, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 6:35?PM Jack <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On 9/21/23 12:30, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 5:03?PM Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>
> wrote:

> dependency?
> >
> > but that is the wrong way wrong.
> >
>> Why do you think so? Trying to remove ruby will tell you why
>> portage refuses to do so, and that reason is any installed packages
>> that depend on it. This differs from using equery, which will tell
>> you every package that depends on ruby, whether or not it is
>> installed. Using -d instead of -a saves you from typing "N" just in
>> case it IS willing to unmerge it.
> >

> Because I wanted to know, recursively, what packages depended on
> ruby, i.e. I have ruby (which I despise) so why?
>
> The answer is kdenlive which I can see in equery d, and cannot see in
> emerge -c
What options did you give to equery?
I had thought that "equery d" listed only direct dependencies, and that
it listed packages whether installed or not. Actually reading the fine
equery man page, under the section on "depends (d)" are the options
-a, --all packages - Include dependencies that are not installed. This
can take a while.
-D, --indirect - Search for both direct and indirect dependencies
so I was wrong on both counts. I can imagine using -D might give a
large list, but probably not so bad, as long as you don;t us both -a
and -D. Is this where you found kdenlive?