HI. This was a package installed on my last world update, but now
depclean wants to remove the package. Isn't it pulled in by gnome or
other packages?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Re: net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.40.5-r600 depclean wants to remove [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2023-09-14 at 08:07 -0400, John Covici wrote:
> HI. This was a package installed on my last world update, but now
> depclean wants to remove the package. Isn't it pulled in by gnome or
> other packages?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The weird -r410 and -r600 versions of webkit-gtk are the same version
of webkit, but they depend on (and link to) different versions of GTK.
We need them because programs that use webkit also use GTK, and they
have to use the *same* version of GTK.

For example. mail-client/evolution requires GTK-3.x and uses webkit-
gtk. As a result, it needs the -r410 version, which depends on gtk-3.x.

On the other hand, www-client/epiphany uses GTK-4.x, so it has to
depend on the -r610 version of webkit-gtk. If it depended on the -r410
version, then when you started epiphany, both GTK-4.x and GTK-3.x would
be loaded into the same process (one via epiphany itself and one via
webkit), and bad things would happen.

tl;dr it's probably safe to trust depclean