--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
Hello, Alan.

Welcome back!

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 20:15:00 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Hello Gentoo'ers
> After some years away, I'm back to Gentoo. Arch was nice and I got
> fuzzies but something was always missing. Was on Mint for a while but
> eventually got fed up with how it does Bluetooth. So Gentoo is now on
> the new laptop from work.
> Going through the list archives, I see a whole bunch of familiar names
> like Dale, Helmut, Peter, Rich, Grant, Walter, William and more.
> For those who never knew me, My name is Alan, first used Gentoo 18/19
> years ago, work at a large mobile operator where I'm a sysadmin and
> general know-it-all-busy-body working with ICT stuff, so happy to make
> your acquaintance.
> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
Thanks :-D

Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 11:15?AM Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Gentoo'ers
>
> After some years away, I'm back to Gentoo. Arch was nice and I got
fuzzies but something was always missing. Was on Mint for a while but
eventually got fed up with how it does Bluetooth. So Gentoo is now on the
new laptop from work.

> Going through the list archives, I see a whole bunch of familiar names
like Dale, Helmut, Peter, Rich, Grant, Walter, William and more.

> For those who never knew me, My name is Alan, first used Gentoo 18/19
years ago, work at a large mobile operator where I'm a sysadmin and general
know-it-all-busy-body working with ICT stuff, so happy to make your
acquaintance.

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Nice to see an old friend back here.

Mark
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 31 Aug 2023 20:15:00 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> After some years away, I'm back to Gentoo. Arch was nice and I got
> fuzzies but something was always missing. Was on Mint for a while but
> eventually got fed up with how it does Bluetooth. So Gentoo is now on
> the new laptop from work.

You're still alive! Welcome back!

--
Neil Bothwick

Bagpipe for free: Stuff cat under arm. Pull legs, chew tail.
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 31 August 2023 21:04:37 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 11:15?AM Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Hello Gentoo'ers
> >
> > After some years away, I'm back to Gentoo. Arch was nice and I got
>
> fuzzies but something was always missing. Was on Mint for a while but
> eventually got fed up with how it does Bluetooth. So Gentoo is now on the
> new laptop from work.
>
> > Going through the list archives, I see a whole bunch of familiar names
>
> like Dale, Helmut, Peter, Rich, Grant, Walter, William and more.
>
> > For those who never knew me, My name is Alan, first used Gentoo 18/19
>
> years ago, work at a large mobile operator where I'm a sysadmin and general
> know-it-all-busy-body working with ICT stuff, so happy to make your
> acquaintance.
>
> > --
> > Alan McKinnon
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
>
> Nice to see an old friend back here.
>
> Mark

+1

Welcome back Alan, after what was it ... 6 years or so?
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 31 August 2023 19:15:00 BST Alan McKinnon wrote:

> After some years away, I'm back to Gentoo. Arch was nice and I got fuzzies
> but something was always missing. Was on Mint for a while but eventually
> got fed up with how it does Bluetooth. So Gentoo is now on the new laptop
> from work.

Alan! It's good to see you back again. I've often wondered what had become of
you.

Next time you're in these parts I'll buy you a beer - a real beer, not that
super-cold, high-strength, fizzy, tasteless lager that everyone ontside these
shores seems to drink.

Cheers!

Peter.
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Hello Gentoo'ers
>
> After some years away, I'm back to Gentoo. Arch was nice and I got
> fuzzies but something was always missing. Was on Mint for a while but
> eventually got fed up with how it does Bluetooth. So Gentoo is now on
> the new laptop from work.
>
> Going through the list archives, I see a whole bunch of familiar names
> like Dale, Helmut, Peter, Rich, Grant, Walter, William and more.
>
> For those who never knew me, My name is Alan, first used Gentoo 18/19
> years ago, work at a large mobile operator where I'm a sysadmin and
> general know-it-all-busy-body working with ICT stuff, so happy to make
> your acquaintance.
>
> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

It's a good thing.  I was about to email you again and see if you were
still kicking and how high, given it has been a while.  :-D

Welcome home!!

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
Welcome Back to the force :)

BillK

William Kenworthy

Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 08:15:00PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote

> Going through the list archives, I see a whole bunch of familiar
> names like Dale, Helmut, Peter, Rich, Grant, Walter, William and more.

Welcome back. Gentoo has smoothed off the rough edges, and emerge
rarely dies anymore. As a control freak, the thing that annoys me is
all the gratuitous libs (cups/ghostscript/harfbuzz/etc) that apstreams
insist on forcing as dependancies. But that's not Gentoo's fault.

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
Re: he's baaaaaaack :-D [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, almost feels like I was never gone :-D

Alan