Hope this helps someone, or a lot of someones.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Update requires restarting init process [ In reply to ]
Am Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 11:51:52AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
> Howdy,
>
> Just a heads up.  I almost missed this in all the other normal messages
> emerge spits out.  I think this was because of a glibc update.  Anyway,
> if you update your system, look for a message about restarting the init
> process to avoid problems.  Rebooting is one way to do this of course
> BUT if you can't or like me, don't like, to reboot, you can login as
> root and run this:  telinit u   Note, there is no dash in front of the
> u.  It doesn't work with a dash there either.  To make sure all
> processes restarted, I went to boot runlevel, then single and then
> reversed that to get back to default runlevel.

Out of curiosity: going to boot and single runlevel requires you to log out
and basically close all running programs anyway, right? So why not simply
reboot then (unless you have something lying around in ramdisks)? Do you not
like the uptime resetting? :D

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

If your laundry just wouldn’t become white,
may be that’s because it is coloured.
Re: Update requires restarting init process [ In reply to ]
Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> Am Sun, Jul 02, 2023 at 11:51:52AM -0500 schrieb Dale:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Just a heads up.  I almost missed this in all the other normal messages
>> emerge spits out.  I think this was because of a glibc update.  Anyway,
>> if you update your system, look for a message about restarting the init
>> process to avoid problems.  Rebooting is one way to do this of course
>> BUT if you can't or like me, don't like, to reboot, you can login as
>> root and run this:  telinit u   Note, there is no dash in front of the
>> u.  It doesn't work with a dash there either.  To make sure all
>> processes restarted, I went to boot runlevel, then single and then
>> reversed that to get back to default runlevel.
> Out of curiosity: going to boot and single runlevel requires you to log out
> and basically close all running programs anyway, right? So why not simply
> reboot then (unless you have something lying around in ramdisks)? Do you not
> like the uptime resetting? :D

When I didn't have a init thingy, I didn't mind rebooting on occasion.
Since someone decided to make /usr a requirement for booting, I had to
add a init thingy. Side note, I have a bad history with those things and
I hate them.  So, I reboot when the power fails and that's about it.  If
I had a large bank of batteries and a UPS that could run for a extended
amount of time, I wouldn't reboot then unless power was out longer than
my run time.  During a storm, I may get a few blinks that lasts a  few
seconds.  If power does go out, it's usually a hour or so.  Rarely much
more than that.

That said, I also encrypt a lot of things and manage it manually.  I
also have to decrypt all those things if I reboot as well.

For most, they will just reboot and be done with it.  However, there may
be some with reasons not to reboot.

My biggest concern, that message being buried and not noticed by
someone.  Then later, things get buggy or weird and they have no clue
why.  Reboot or restart init and should be good to go.

Dale

:-)  :-)