I have a motherboard that I think is using incorrect network driver.

lspci -knn |grep net -A 4
04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1539] (rev 03)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. I211 Gigabit Network Connection [1043:85f0]
Kernel driver in use: igb

The network speed on the switch is only 10Mbs or 100Mbs (orange light)

What kernel driver should I use with this network adapter?

That "igb" driver is does not give me 1Gb network speed.
Re: kernel driver for: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [ In reply to ]
On 6/30/23 13:03, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I have a motherboard that I think is using incorrect network driver.
>
> lspci -knn |grep net -A 4
> 04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1539] (rev 03)
>     Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. I211 Gigabit Network Connection [1043:85f0]
>     Kernel driver in use: igb
>
> The network speed on the switch is only 10Mbs or 100Mbs (orange light)
>
> What kernel driver should I use with this network adapter?
>
> That "igb" driver is does not give me 1Gb network speed.

ehtool show I have 1000Mb speed connection but network light on the switch is orange (not green).

ethtool enp4s0
Settings for enp4s0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Auto-negotiation: on
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
MDI-X: off (auto)
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes
Re: kernel driver for: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 1:01?PM <thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:

> On 6/30/23 13:03, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > I have a motherboard that I think is using incorrect network driver.
> >
> > lspci -knn |grep net -A 4
> > 04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit
> Network Connection [8086:1539] (rev 03)
> > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. I211 Gigabit Network Connection
> [1043:85f0]
> > Kernel driver in use: igb
> >
> > The network speed on the switch is only 10Mbs or 100Mbs (orange light)

Is the switch a reliable 1Gb switch? I've owned a couple of cheap switches
that said they
were 1Gb but didn't always work.
Re: kernel driver for: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [ In reply to ]
On 6/30/23 14:13, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 1:01?PM <thelma@sys-concept.com <mailto:thelma@sys-concept.com>> wrote:
>
> On 6/30/23 13:03, thelma@sys-concept.com <mailto:thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:
> > I have a motherboard that I think is using incorrect network driver.
> >
> > lspci -knn |grep net -A 4
> > 04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1539] (rev 03)
> >      Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. I211 Gigabit Network Connection [1043:85f0]
> >      Kernel driver in use: igb
> >
> > The network speed on the switch is only 10Mbs or 100Mbs (orange light)
> >

> Is the  switch a reliable 1Gb switch? I've owned a couple of cheap switches that said they
> were 1Gb but didn't always work.

I'm using TRENDnet 24-Port Gigabit Switch

I had problem with slow connection to this PC using other switches, always slow especially trying to initiate X2go session with this PC, it take about 25sec to start session,
Trying to open X2go session with other PC on same network it take about 4sec.

But I think I'm not only the one having problem with this Intel adapter and igb driver.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1307288/slow-10-mb-s-wired-connection-on-18-04
Re: kernel driver for: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 1:44?PM <thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:

> On 6/30/23 14:13, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 1:01?PM <thelma@sys-concept.com <mailto:
thelma@sys-concept.com>> wrote:

> > On 6/30/23 13:03, thelma@sys-concept.com <mailto:
thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:
> > > I have a motherboard that I think is using incorrect network
driver.

> > > lspci -knn |grep net -A 4
> > > 04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211
Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1539] (rev 03)
> > > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. I211 Gigabit Network
Connection [1043:85f0]
> > > Kernel driver in use: igb
> > >
> > > The network speed on the switch is only 10Mbs or 100Mbs (orange
light)

> > Is the switch a reliable 1Gb switch? I've owned a couple of cheap
switches that said they
> > were 1Gb but didn't always work.
>
> I'm using TRENDnet 24-Port Gigabit Switch
>
> I had problem with slow connection to this PC using other switches,
always slow especially trying to initiate X2go session with this PC, it
take about 25sec to start session,
> Trying to open X2go session with other PC on same network it take about
4sec.

> But I think I'm not only the one having problem with this Intel adapter
and igb driver.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1307288/slow-10-mb-s-wired-connection-on-18-04

Well, I don't think the driver itself is the problem. I have an AMD-based
motherboard but it
reports the same Intel device.

I have no problems getting about 850-900Mb sustained throughput. I'm using
Kubuntu, not Gentoo, but Ubuntu-based like the link you provided. My switch
is just a cheap Netgear thing. I get green lights on the switch but on the
back of my
PC I have solid green on the right and flashing orange on the left. I've
never
bothered to determine why those are the light colors. However just using
throughput testing to another local machine (see the instructions I gave
Dale
sometime ago on this list) I get good throughput.

mark@science2:~$ lspci -knn | grep Eth -A3
07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125
2.5GbE Controller [10ec:8
125] (rev 05)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller
[1043:87d7]
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169
08:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network
Connection [8086:1539] (re
v 03)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. I211 Gigabit Network Connection
[1043:85f0]
Kernel driver in use: igb
Kernel modules: igb
mark@science2:~$

I do not currently use the 2.5Gb interface.

Don't think I can help beyond this info.

Good luck,
Mark
Re: kernel driver for: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2023-06-30 at 14:44 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > Is the  switch a reliable 1Gb switch? I've owned a couple of cheap
> > switches that said they were 1Gb but didn't always work.
>
> I'm using TRENDnet 24-Port Gigabit Switch

Is the cable known good? I've had both poor quality manufactured
cables and also shoddily made DIY[1] cables fail to link at gigabit
speeds.

Consider the OSI layers: start with layer 1 and work up from there. Or
down, depending on your orientation. I don't judge.

1: I still make my own cables but I am much more reliable at it these
days. Experience and mistakes are great teachers.
Re: kernel driver for: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [ In reply to ]
On 6/30/23 19:49, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-06-30 at 14:44 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> Is the  switch a reliable 1Gb switch? I've owned a couple of cheap
>>> switches that said they were 1Gb but didn't always work.
>>
>> I'm using TRENDnet 24-Port Gigabit Switch
>
> Is the cable known good? I've had both poor quality manufactured
> cables and also shoddily made DIY[1] cables fail to link at gigabit
> speeds.
>
> Consider the OSI layers: start with layer 1 and work up from there. Or
> down, depending on your orientation. I don't judge.
>
> 1: I still make my own cables but I am much more reliable at it these
> days. Experience and mistakes are great teachers.

I use different cable and not the light on the switch is green so 1Gb connection.

But the X2Go connection did not change still about 25sec. wait time for screen to appear.
It might have to do something with AMD CPU build in graphics.