Mailing List Archive

The Snowball effect.
In my panic to try to fix my keyboard layout, I did something absolutely
stupid, I tried to update my machine. While this is a questionable thing
to do on the best of days, it should definitely not be attempted when
things are already going south.

Now i've been having serious problems with Steam for the last month. And
I've been updating both steam and the machine in desperate hopes of
curing steam problems but now it looks like my machine is bricked. =\

I knew that linux headers 6.3 had been installed a while back and I was
running kernel 6.2.  So I was rebooting to bring in kernel 6.3 so that
the versions would match up and, hopefully that would stabilize the
machine. -- Then my keyboard issues hit...

I tried to update to cure the keyboard issues.

Ohboy... Things just took a nosedive from there.

First, sandbox started denying ALL file open requests, (even /dev/null)
why?    because.     That's why. So nothing could even be unpacked and I
started getting these bizzarely eloquent and verbose error messages
blaming bugs that clearly had no relationship to what was happening.

I started bitching about this on gentoo bugzilla. A few mee tooo!! posts
were added to the bug thread but those were muted. The bug was
languishing...

I needed a fix to THAT bug so I tried to sync again.

Somehow libcrypto-1.1 and libssl-1.1 had decided to go awol so basically
everything on the system ground to a halt... Still limited to typing
Qwerty things were getting very bad...

I downloaded a Stage3 and found ark couldn't work because no libcrypto,
so I had to manually extract that and obtain temporary examples of those
files... So I'm slowly trying to crawl out of that hole.

Right now I'm trying to update packages with sandboxing forcibly
disabled and things are failing in this beautifully eloquent way:

 * ERROR: dev-libs/libevent-2.1.12-r1::gentoo failed (install phase):
 *   (no error message)
 *
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  136:  Called src_install
 *   environment, line 1657:  Called multilib-minimal_src_install
 *   environment, line 1121:  Called multilib_foreach_abi
'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line 1351:  Called multibuild_foreach_variant
'_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line 1033:  Called _multibuild_run
'_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line 1031:  Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper
'multilib-minimal_abi_src_install'
 *   environment, line  401:  Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_install
 *   environment, line 1118:  Called multilib_check_headers
 *   environment, line 1156:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       cksum=$(_multilib_header_cksum) || die;

(With sandbox enabled it dies like this: )

 * Messages for package net-wireless/wpa_supplicant-9999:

 *   REGULATORY DOMAIN PROBLEM: please enable CFG80211_CRDA_SUPPORT for
proper regulatory domain support
 * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
 * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.

 * Messages for package dev-libs/libevent-2.1.12-r1:

 * The ebuild phase 'unpack' has exited unexpectedly. This type of behavior
 * is known to be triggered by things such as failed variable assignments
 * (bug #190128) or bad substitution errors (bug #200313). Normally, before
 * exiting, bash should have displayed an error message above. If bash did
 * not produce an error message above, it's possible that the ebuild has
 * called `exit` when it should have called `die` instead. This behavior
 * may also be triggered by a corrupt bash binary or a hardware problem
 * such as memory or cpu malfunction. If the problem is not reproducible or
 * it appears to occur randomly, then it is likely to be triggered by a
 * hardware problem. If you suspect a hardware problem then you should try
 * some basic hardware diagnostics such as memtest. Please do not report
 * this as a bug unless it is consistently reproducible and you are sure
 * that your bash binary and hardware are functioning properly.
tortoise ~ #

I have no idea where that stupid message about WPA came from, I want it
to just go away without me raising a finger...

GO AWAY STUPID MESSAGE, I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT YOU.

I made this install back in 2010 when I switched to 64 bit computing. So
the install is only 13 years old, that means its actually 10 years
younger than my car that is running great. (ok, mechanic wants $4,000,
but he's a greedy bastard, I'll just put new tires on it and ignore the
leaking steering rack and rotted out gaskets... gah...) I can't think of
a single goddamn thing I like about new cars.   Too much electronics
programmed by chep Indian labor?     Thin bands of rubber stretched over
commicly oversized rims?  Too much new federally mandated bullshit? gah!
My father left me an accord which is about the same age as my gentoo
install, it has more milage on it than my civic and it is too LX-y, too
much like a cadilac, no road feel, the steering is too loose and too
sensitive in the middle. I just can't get a feel for the thing. Which is
why my Civic is getting new tires instead of a For Sale sign....

--
Beware of Zombies. =O
#EggCrisis #BlackWinter
Re: The Snowball effect. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 04:54:55PM -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
> I started bitching about this on gentoo bugzilla. A few mee tooo!! posts
> were added to the bug thread but those were muted. The bug was
> languishing...

There was just one (few posts by same person), and it was a completely
unrelated issue (sandbox was having trouble reading some bashrc file on
arm32 musl, not denying all requests). So a different issue was filed
and posts hidden by default (can still be seen if expanded) not to
cause confusion in the old bug.
--
ionen