Mailing List Archive

EMERGENCY: X11 KEYBOARD MAPPING STOPPED WORKING!!!!
having extreme trouble typing this, haven't had to type qwerty in
fifteen years, keyboard mapping I need went poof during recent update,
rebooted for kernel 6.3,

X11 is NOT recording logs to /var/log since last year.  Console seemed
to be barfing about not knowing what a dvorak is even though it is the
only other ISO standard keyboard mapping. No way to access console barf
from within X11, no idea where logs are if they exist.

here are my configs,  2010 version has:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar  7  2020 xorg.conf.d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2490 Oct 21  2010 xorg.conf.good

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "dvorak"
EndSection

Since that was too simple and made too much sense, they had to make it
uglier...
current active config:

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier         "keyboard-layout"
    MatchIsKeyboard    "on"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "dvorak"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc104"
#        Option "XkbOptions" "grp:caps_toggle"
EndSection

atg@tortoise ~ $ setxkbmap
Error loading new keyboard description
atg@tortoise ~ $

still have package              x11-apps/xinput-1.6.3    installed even
tho eclean-dist wants it gone, must be error because no clue how x11 is
supposed to work without it. =(

Yet agan Linux manufactures a new insoluble problem without warning and
for no reason.

--
Beware of Zombies. =O
#EggCrisis #BlackWinter
Re: EMERGENCY: X11 KEYBOARD MAPPING STOPPED WORKING!!!! [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 18 June 2023 02:42:18 BST Alan Grimes wrote:
> having extreme trouble typing this, haven't had to type qwerty in
> fifteen years, keyboard mapping I need went poof during recent update,
> rebooted for kernel 6.3,
>
> X11 is NOT recording logs to /var/log since last year. Console seemed
> to be barfing about not knowing what a dvorak is even though it is the
> only other ISO standard keyboard mapping.

In a consile you could try:

# loadkeys dvorak

> No way to access console barf
> from within X11, no idea where logs are if they exist.

I think console related logs will be in your syslog or dmesg, if this involves
errors from interaction with the kernel. Not sure anything else would be
recorded by default.

If you use ssdm as a DM look for ~/.local/share/sddm/xorg-session.log for X
session logs.

> here are my configs, 2010 version has:
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 7 2020 xorg.conf.d
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2490 Oct 21 2010 xorg.conf.good
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "XkbLayout" "dvorak"
> EndSection
>
> Since that was too simple and made too much sense, they had to make it
> uglier...
> current active config:
>
> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "keyboard-layout"
> MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> Option "XkbLayout" "dvorak"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
> # Option "XkbOptions" "grp:caps_toggle"
> EndSection
>

> atg@tortoise ~ $ setxkbmap
> Error loading new keyboard description
> atg@tortoise ~ $

Try this:

$ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10

> still have package x11-apps/xinput-1.6.3 installed even
> tho eclean-dist wants it gone, must be error because no clue how x11 is
> supposed to work without it. =(

There was a news item three years ago about this change:

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-04-03-deprecation-of-legacy-x11-input-drivers.html

Try to set your keyboard layout manually to minimise typing errors:

setxkbmap -layout us -variant ,dvorak

Set in your make.conf:

INPUT_DEVICES="libinput"

Then run:

emerge -uaNDv --with-bdeps=y @world
emerge --depclean -v -a
revdep-rebuild -v -- -a

to bring your packages up to date.

Finally, revisit your xorg.conf, these days the configuration is in seperate
files under /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf. Something like this ought
to work:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "libinput"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbVariant" ",dvorak"
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection
Re: EMERGENCY: X11 KEYBOARD MAPPING STOPPED WORKING!!!! [ In reply to ]
I need a way to get X11 to boot into dvorak layout mode without having
to look up this e-mail to find the command to set the layout to dvorak.

My current xorg.conf has: but does not do anything useful.

Section "InputDevice"
   # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us"
        Option "XkbVariant" "dvorak"
EndSection

Re: EMERGENCY: X11 KEYBOARD MAPPING STOPPED WORKING!!!! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 16:42:15 -0400
Alan Grimes <alonzotg@verizon.net> wrote:

> I need a way to get X11 to boot into dvorak layout mode without
> having to look up this e-mail to find the command to set the layout
> to dvorak.
>
> My current xorg.conf has: but does not do anything useful.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>    # generated from default
>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>     Driver         "keyboard"
>         Option "XkbLayout" "us"
>         Option "XkbVariant" "dvorak"
> EndSection
>

> Michael wrote:
> > setxkbmap -layout us -variant dvorak

Part of why I stepped away from the Dvorak layout. US layout would
always, "just work". Like there were times when I'd have to type
something when it was interpreted as US layout... But...

Would putting that command in your ~/.xinitirc or some equivalent work?
It kind of would be nice if it could be done in the xorg.conf I do
agree.
Re: EMERGENCY: X11 KEYBOARD MAPPING STOPPED WORKING!!!! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Jul 2023 16:42:15 -0400
Alan Grimes <alonzotg@verizon.net> wrote:

> I need a way to get X11 to boot into dvorak layout mode without having
> to look up this e-mail to find the command to set the layout to dvorak.
>
> My current xorg.conf has: but does not do anything useful.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>    # generated from default
>     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
>     Driver         "keyboard"