total loss.. This is insane at this point!!! I've been updating my
system daily hoping that this will be fixed upstream... =(((((

atg@tortoise ~ $ uname -a
Linux tortoise 6.2.9 #2 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Apr  3 09:22:43 EDT 2023
x86_64 AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
atg@tortoise ~ $

--
Beware of Zombies. =O
#EggCrisis #BlackWinter
White is the new Kulak.
Powers are not rights.
Re: Another week without chromium. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Apr 2023 13:03:51 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:

> I've already pruned everything sus out of my home directory... I'm at a
> total loss.. This is insane at this point!!! I've been updating my
> system daily hoping that this will be fixed upstream... =(((((

Have you tried as a different user, or with --user-data-dir pointing to
an empty directory, to ignore all your current configurations. It may be
an extension causing this, a core problem with chromium is likely to have
gained attention very quickly.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 42: Airline Food
Re: Another week without chromium. [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2023 13:03:51 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
>
>> I've already pruned everything sus out of my home directory... I'm at a
>> total loss.. This is insane at this point!!! I've been updating my
>> system daily hoping that this will be fixed upstream... =(((((
>>
> Have you tried as a different user, or with --user-data-dir pointing to
> an empty directory, to ignore all your current configurations. It may be
> an extension causing this, a core problem with chromium is likely to have
> gained attention very quickly.

I tried --user-data-dir, I guess the syntax is non-obvious, it did not
appear to do anything, I gave it ~/temp/chromium as a parameter.

I deleted the preferences file and tried to open settings, this is what
happens for __ALL__ pages including about:blank.

HA!  just had the idea of taking my .config/chromium directory and
renaming it to chromium.old, damn thing still crashed with a blank
config directory.

I also deleted a bunch of stuff that looked like it could be an
extension or thing that could cause problems...

With only one tab open, the rate at which it created dump files
increased to about 1,500 in the space of time it took to create this
screenshot.

I'm baffled as to how profoundly broken this appears to be, I mean if I
were hired to write code for somenoe (which is something that will never
happen but I can dream can't I?) I would do sanity checks, I'd make sure
that it was always possible to trace effects back to causes... I'd say
to myself this is production code so therefore I'd front-load my code
path with sanity checks so that I would know for certain that all of my
pre-conditions are satisfied before moving forward.

Look at how smug this error message is anyway, it assumes that the
problem is external to chromium and it basically ammounts to "jiggle the
handle, it will work". Well, no it is not working and I am put in the
position where I need to diagnose WHY it doesn't work and the "learn
more button" is either errored out itself or is circular with this page.
How do I even read the .dmp files it spews out anyway? is there actually
any useful information in them?

Furthermore, lets assume the most junked up crufty directory that has
been in use since I first installed chromium.... (which is basically the
case at hand but well...) Now you have done ??? that breaks this badly
given an old working config from a fairly recent version. 1. HOW IN
GOD'S NAME DID YOU EVEN BREAK IT THIS BAD EVEN IF YOU TRIED???  2. Why
isn't there basic filtering for known classes of things in old configs
that are not kosher anymore. 3. WHY IN GOD'S NAME IS YOUR SOFTWARE THIS
FRAGILE WRT THINGS THAT COULD BE IN THE USER'S HOME DIRECTORY????

--
Beware of Zombies. =O
#EggCrisis #BlackWinter