Does it have something to do with dbus?

--
Thelma
Re: xfce4 automount usb doesn't work [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 09:43 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> When USB is inserted, the icon appears on a desktop but it is not aouto mounted.
>
> In settings: Removable Drive and Media -->
> - Mount removable drive when hot-plugged (is checked)
>
> Does it have something to do with dbus?

My first guess is permissions. Can you mount the drive in Thunar by
clicking on it in the side panel?
Re: xfce4 automount usb doesn't work [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/23 10:15, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 09:43 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> When USB is inserted, the icon appears on a desktop but it is not aouto mounted.
>>
>> In settings: Removable Drive and Media -->
>> - Mount removable drive when hot-plugged (is checked)
>>
>> Does it have something to do with dbus?
>>

> My first guess is permissions. Can you mount the drive in Thunar by
> clicking on it in the side panel?

Yes, when the usb-icon appears on desktop, right clicking on it allows me to mount it.

On the system that works correctly, when I insert the USB I get:

[822766.172299] sda: sda1
[822766.173269] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[822776.321898] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro

On the newly updated system I get only:

[12095.359150] sdb: sdb1
[12095.359219] sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
Re: xfce4 automount usb doesn't work [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/23 10:15, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 09:43 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> When USB is inserted, the icon appears on a desktop but it is not aouto mounted.
>>
>> In settings: Removable Drive and Media -->
>> - Mount removable drive when hot-plugged (is checked)
>>
>> Does it have something to do with dbus?
>>

> My first guess is permissions. Can you mount the drive in Thunar by
> clicking on it in the side panel?

Does user need to be in group: plugdev for it to work.

On my other older system USB automount works correctly and I'm not in a group plugdev
Re: xfce4 automount usb doesn't work [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 11:28 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> Does user need to be in group:  plugdev for it to work.

I'm fairly confident that you do, yes.

"Udisks uses polkit to handle permissions. Make sure each user is in
the plugdev group"

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udisks#Configuration
Re: xfce4 automount usb doesn't work [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/23 14:37, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Tue, 2023-04-11 at 11:28 -0600, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> Does user need to be in group:  plugdev for it to work.
>
> I'm fairly confident that you do, yes.
>
> "Udisks uses polkit to handle permissions. Make sure each user is in
> the plugdev group"
>
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Udisks#Configuration

None of my systems have even acct-group/plugdev installed
and no user is in plugdev group

Two of the system mounts USB automatically (correctly) when USB is plugged-in, one updated last Dec. and one yesterday.
Third computer upgraded yesterday but USB doesn't auto-mount automatically.

One of my remote computer stop automounting USB all of a sudden as well, even though I did not change any setting it happen after I installed gnome-extra/zenity
Re: xfce4 automount usb doesn't work [ In reply to ]
On 11/04/2023 18:19, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> Yes, when the usb-icon appears on desktop, right clicking on it allows
> me to mount it.
>
> On the system that works correctly, when I insert the USB I get:

Dunno as I'd define it as "works correctly". Works as desired, sure. My
system (KDE) throws a pop-up up that says "what do you want to do?".
That, I think, is the default with which I am quite happy.

I'd rather (for *KNOWN* usb-sticks) put an entry in fstab.

Cheers,
Wol
Re: xfce4 automount usb doesn't work [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Apr 2023 21:22:42 +0100, Wol wrote:

> Dunno as I'd define it as "works correctly". Works as desired, sure. My
> system (KDE) throws a pop-up up that says "what do you want to do?".
> That, I think, is the default with which I am quite happy.
>
> I'd rather (for *KNOWN* usb-sticks) put an entry in fstab.

KDE has an option to automount known devices when they are plugged in or
on boot, while others give the popup.

--
Neil Bothwick

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call
this their point of view.
-- Albert Einstein