Mailing List Archive

Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Howdy,

This may not exist.  If not, oh well.  Sometimes when I'm moving files
with Dolphin, I need a added feature.  I tend to use split panes when I
copy or move files.  Quite often, I want to move files from one location
to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
replacing.  What I *wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
with the name of the old file.  As it is now, I have to bring up
properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
file.  Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
instead.

It would be a lot faster if I could just drag it on top of file I want
to replace and either it be configured to use name of old file for new
file or me select in a pop up what I want to do.  Basically, move and
drop instead of all the properties, copy, repeat with paste on new file
and then move and maybe delete a file as well.  I went to the services
window and looked for anything I could add but I didn't see anything
that would do what I describe but it could be a hidden feature of one
that isn't obvious.

Has anyone ever seen something that does this?  While I use dolphin, I
may could use another tool if it has this feature.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 6 October 2022 05:39:59 BST Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> This may not exist. If not, oh well. Sometimes when I'm moving files
> with Dolphin, I need a added feature. I tend to use split panes when I
> copy or move files. Quite often, I want to move files from one location
> to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
> replacing. What I *wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
> other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
> with the name of the old file. As it is now, I have to bring up
> properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
> extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
> the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
> new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
> file. Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
> instead.
>
> It would be a lot faster if I could just drag it on top of file I want
> to replace and either it be configured to use name of old file for new
> file or me select in a pop up what I want to do. Basically, move and
> drop instead of all the properties, copy, repeat with paste on new file
> and then move and maybe delete a file as well. I went to the services
> window and looked for anything I could add but I didn't see anything
> that would do what I describe but it could be a hidden feature of one
> that isn't obvious.
>
> Has anyone ever seen something that does this? While I use dolphin, I
> may could use another tool if it has this feature.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Perhaps I'm missing something ...

If the old file has the *same* name as the new file, the file manager will
warn you and ask you if you want to rename the new file so as it does not
overwrite the old file, or if you want to replace the old file.

If the old file has a different name, then the new file will be pasted in
without asking. In this case isn't it quicker to delete the file you want
replaced and then copy/move the new file over? Shift+Delete or right click -
'Delete' to delete it completely or just Delete/right click - 'Move to
wastebin' in case you delete the wrong file by mistake and want to recover it
later. BTW, pressing F2 after you select a file will allow you to rename it,
without having to dive into properties.
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On 06/10/2022 08:33, Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 October 2022 05:39:59 BST Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> This may not exist. If not, oh well. Sometimes when I'm moving files
>> with Dolphin, I need a added feature. I tend to use split panes when I
>> copy or move files. Quite often, I want to move files from one location
>> to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
>> replacing. What I*wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
>> other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
>> with the name of the old file. As it is now, I have to bring up
>> properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
>> extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
>> the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
>> new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
>> file. Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
>> instead.
>>
>> It would be a lot faster if I could just drag it on top of file I want
>> to replace and either it be configured to use name of old file for new
>> file or me select in a pop up what I want to do. Basically, move and
>> drop instead of all the properties, copy, repeat with paste on new file
>> and then move and maybe delete a file as well. I went to the services
>> window and looked for anything I could add but I didn't see anything
>> that would do what I describe but it could be a hidden feature of one
>> that isn't obvious.
>>
>> Has anyone ever seen something that does this? While I use dolphin, I
>> may could use another tool if it has this feature.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> ???? ????
> Perhaps I'm missing something ...
>
> If the old file has the*same* name as the new file, the file manager will
> warn you and ask you if you want to rename the new file so as it does not
> overwrite the old file, or if you want to replace the old file.

This made me think. Some times the old tools are the best - maybe I
ought to switch from Dolphin to Midnight Commander for my use case, and
maybe you should too.

Okay, it doesn't do exactly what you want, but the dance you want to do
it will make it a lot easier ...

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 6 October 2022 08:52:04 BST Wol wrote:
> On 06/10/2022 08:33, Michael wrote:
> > On Thursday, 6 October 2022 05:39:59 BST Dale wrote:
> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> This may not exist. If not, oh well. Sometimes when I'm moving files
> >> with Dolphin, I need a added feature. I tend to use split panes when I
> >> copy or move files. Quite often, I want to move files from one location
> >> to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
> >> replacing. What I*wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
> >> other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
> >> with the name of the old file. As it is now, I have to bring up
> >> properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
> >> extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
> >> the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
> >> new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
> >> file. Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
> >> instead.
> >>
> >> It would be a lot faster if I could just drag it on top of file I want
> >> to replace and either it be configured to use name of old file for new
> >> file or me select in a pop up what I want to do. Basically, move and
> >> drop instead of all the properties, copy, repeat with paste on new file
> >> and then move and maybe delete a file as well. I went to the services
> >> window and looked for anything I could add but I didn't see anything
> >> that would do what I describe but it could be a hidden feature of one
> >> that isn't obvious.
> >>
> >> Has anyone ever seen something that does this? While I use dolphin, I
> >> may could use another tool if it has this feature.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> ???? ????
> >
> > Perhaps I'm missing something ...
> >
> > If the old file has the*same* name as the new file, the file manager will
> > warn you and ask you if you want to rename the new file so as it does not
> > overwrite the old file, or if you want to replace the old file.
>
> This made me think. Some times the old tools are the best - maybe I
> ought to switch from Dolphin to Midnight Commander for my use case, and
> maybe you should too.
>
> Okay, it doesn't do exactly what you want, but the dance you want to do
> it will make it a lot easier ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I just had a look in Dolphin configuration. Under General/Confirmations tab
you can select to disable asking for confirmation when you move files to
wastebin, or when you delete files of folders. Not sure if this is desirable,
as you could inadvertently delete a file without thinking first, but if you
are going to be deleting manually a lot of files, confirming this is something
you really want to do could become so repetitive you may want to disable it at
least for a while.
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 at 06:40, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> This may not exist. If not, oh well. Sometimes when I'm moving files
> with Dolphin, I need a added feature. I tend to use split panes when I
> copy or move files. Quite often, I want to move files from one location
> to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
> replacing. What I *wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
> other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
> with the name of the old file. As it is now, I have to bring up
> properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
> extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
> the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
> new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
> file. Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
> instead.
>
> It would be a lot faster if I could just drag it on top of file I want
> to replace and either it be configured to use name of old file for new
> file or me select in a pop up what I want to do. Basically, move and
> drop instead of all the properties, copy, repeat with paste on new file
> and then move and maybe delete a file as well. I went to the services
> window and looked for anything I could add but I didn't see anything
> that would do what I describe but it could be a hidden feature of one
> that isn't obvious.
>
> Has anyone ever seen something that does this? While I use dolphin, I
> may could use another tool if it has this feature.

This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
has a built-in command-line?
$ mv newfile oldfile
will overwrite the old file in place with the new file with the name
of the old file.

In my file manager, emelfm2 (sadly not in tree any more), which has a
built-in command-line there are at least two ways I could solve this.

1. Equivalent to your method
- Select old file, F2 (rename), ctrl+c, esc, select new file in other
pane, shift+F6 (move with rename), ctrl+v, enter

2. Equivalent to explicit command-line on the built-in terminal
- mv %f %F (referencing selected file(s) in the active and inactive
pane respectively)

I know there are many file managers with a built-in terminal, so maybe
others have similar possible solutions. I saw someone mention midnight
commander which I believe is one.

Regards,
Arve
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:10:52 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:

> This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
> has a built-in command-line?
> $ mv newfile oldfile
> will overwrite the old file in place with the new file with the name
> of the old file.

And tab-completion makes this a lot quicker than renaming files in a file
manager.

> I know there are many file managers with a built-in terminal, so maybe
> others have similar possible solutions. I saw someone mention midnight
> commander which I believe is one.

Or you could use a drop-down terminal like Yakuake to give a terminal on
demand, whatever program you are using. Yakuake is for KDE, it wraps
Konsole, but there are GNOME-ish variants too, I wouldn't be without it.

--
Neil Bothwick

All things in moderation, ESPECIALLY moderation.
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
And if you like Bash brace expansions; this one is sometimes quicker,
than tab-completion and removing characters:

    $ mv file.txt{,.bak}
    file.txt.bak
    $ mv file.txt,{bak,img}
    file.txt.img
    $ mv file.txt{img,}
    file.txt

-Ramon

--
GPG public key: 5983 98DA 5F4D A464 38FD CF87 155B E264 13E6 99BF
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
I corrected some typos. This one is syntactically correct:

    $ mv file.txt{,.bak}
    file.txt.bak
    $ mv file.txt.{bak,img}
    file.txt.img
    $ mv file.txt{.img,}
    file.txt

-Ramon

--
GPG public key: 5983 98DA 5F4D A464 38FD CF87 155B E264 13E6 99BF
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 17:19:09 +0200, Ramon Fischer wrote:

> And if you like Bash brace expansions; this one is sometimes quicker,
> than tab-completion and removing characters:
>
>     $ mv file.txt{,.bak}
>     file.txt.bak
>     $ mv file.txt,{bak,img}
>     file.txt.img
>     $ mv file.txt{img,}
>     file.txt

$ mv -b oldname newname

If newname exists, it is renamed with a ~ extension.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'll never forget the 1st time I ran Windows, but I'm trying...
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:10:52 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
>
>> This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
>> has a built-in command-line?
>> $ mv newfile oldfile
>> will overwrite the old file in place with the new file with the name
>> of the old file.
> And tab-completion makes this a lot quicker than renaming files in a file
> manager.

This is a option I haven't thought of.? The mv command is a good
thought.? Next time I have a lot of these to do, I'll try it.? It just
may work.? Plus, tab completion would be a nice bonus.

>> I know there are many file managers with a built-in terminal, so maybe
>> others have similar possible solutions. I saw someone mention midnight
>> commander which I believe is one.
> Or you could use a drop-down terminal like Yakuake to give a terminal on
> demand, whatever program you are using. Yakuake is for KDE, it wraps
> Konsole, but there are GNOME-ish variants too, I wouldn't be without it.

I look into Yakuake.? I've never heard of it before.? It's emerging and
I have to run to town to help a friend.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)? :-)?
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:10:52 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
>>
>>> This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
>>> has a built-in command-line?
>>> $ mv newfile oldfile
>>> will overwrite the old file in place with the new file with the name
>>> of the old file.
>> And tab-completion makes this a lot quicker than renaming files in a file
>> manager.
>>
> This is a option I haven't thought of.  The mv command is a good
> thought.  Next time I have a lot of these to do, I'll try it.  It just
> may work.  Plus, tab completion would be a nice bonus.

I just got a couple dozen videos that I want to do what I described
with.  I used the -v option with mv plus double check in dolphin
afterwards and so far, it works nicely.  Tab completion makes it really
easy.  It's faster than all the properties window, copy, paste and all
that.  I might add, along with tab completion, I also use the highlight
and middle click on the mouse.  A faster way to copy and paste when
needed.  That's a nifty feature of Konsole.

>>> I know there are many file managers with a built-in terminal, so maybe
>>> others have similar possible solutions. I saw someone mention midnight
>>> commander which I believe is one.
>> Or you could use a drop-down terminal like Yakuake to give a terminal on
>> demand, whatever program you are using. Yakuake is for KDE, it wraps
>> Konsole, but there are GNOME-ish variants too, I wouldn't be without it.
>>

> I look into Yakuake.  I've never heard of it before.  It's emerging and
> I have to run to town to help a friend.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I installed Yakuake and to me, it looks like Konsole but without the
menu part at the top.  Other than that, I don't see anything special.  I
kinda wish I had a terminal with dolphin or something.  I think there is
a way but right now, I'm getting the job done.  I'll look into that
later.  Pretty sure it is under the tool menu.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 8 October 2022 04:44:56 BST Dale wrote:

> I installed Yakuake and to me, it looks like Konsole but without the
> menu part at the top. Other than that, I don't see anything special.

Once Yakuake is running, F12 will open it in whichever virtual desktop you
happen to be and you can continue your work in the terminal within that
desktop. I'm not sure what other benefits it has.

> kinda wish I had a terminal with dolphin or something. I think there is
> a way but right now, I'm getting the job done. I'll look into that
> later. Pretty sure it is under the tool menu.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Yes, look at Tools>'Focus Terminal Panel', or Ctrl+Shift+F4. I find this more
useful than Yakuake for my typical use case,[1] or more often I just use
Shift+F4 to open a new separate Konsole terminal in the same directory as
Dolphin happens to be.

[1] Often I go into a directory which I have already opened in Dolphin and
then run a series of commands in a terminal, without needing to refer back to
dolphin.
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Michael wrote:
> On Saturday, 8 October 2022 04:44:56 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> I installed Yakuake and to me, it looks like Konsole but without the
>> menu part at the top. Other than that, I don't see anything special.
> Once Yakuake is running, F12 will open it in whichever virtual desktop you
> happen to be and you can continue your work in the terminal within that
> desktop. I'm not sure what other benefits it has.

I think since I always have Konsole open and ready, it is easier for me
to use it.  If I rarely had Konsole open, then that might come in
handy.  I have Konsole with several tabs open and parked on desktop 3.
It's stuck there at all times.  I have 18 virtual desktops and some have
specific programs on certain desktops.  Seamonkey web browser is always
on desktop 1.  Seamonkey email is on desktop 2.  The list goes on.  I'm
pretty organized in that way. ;-)

>> kinda wish I had a terminal with dolphin or something. I think there is
>> a way but right now, I'm getting the job done. I'll look into that
>> later. Pretty sure it is under the tool menu.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
> Yes, look at Tools>'Focus Terminal Panel', or Ctrl+Shift+F4. I find this more
> useful than Yakuake for my typical use case,[1] or more often I just use
> Shift+F4 to open a new separate Konsole terminal in the same directory as
> Dolphin happens to be.
>
> [1] Often I go into a directory which I have already opened in Dolphin and
> then run a series of commands in a terminal, without needing to refer back to
> dolphin.

I have Konsole set to run su - when it opens so that messes up that.  It
opens and cd's to the directory but wants to run as root.  I guess I
could find a way to get a root Konsole another way but most of the time,
I need it as root anyway. On the rare occasion I need it as my user, I
just su dale and carry on.

I will say this, using mv was much easier and faster than my old way a
bit ago.  Thanks Arve for that suggestion.  It's command line but it
works well and does exactly what I want.  I was hoping for a GUI method
but this works.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On 08/10/2022 04:44, Dale wrote:
> I might add, along with tab completion, I also use the highlight
> and middle click on the mouse.  A faster way to copy and paste when
> needed.  That's a nifty feature of Konsole.

I think that's been part of X since the dinosaurs were around. Try it
elsewhere, it works most places, afaik ...

Cheers,
Wol
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Wols Lists wrote:
> On 08/10/2022 04:44, Dale wrote:
>> I might add, along with tab completion, I also use the highlight
>> and middle click on the mouse.  A faster way to copy and paste when
>> needed.  That's a nifty feature of Konsole.
>
> I think that's been part of X since the dinosaurs were around. Try it
> elsewhere, it works most places, afaik ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I think it is gpm or something that makes it work on a regular console
too.  It's been a long time since I installed it but I think that is the
name.  It is nifty tho.  I didn't know about it for a good while.  I
sort of found it by accident if I recall correctly.

I'll keep a eye out for other places tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Am Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:10:52AM +0200 schrieb Arve Barsnes:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 at 06:40, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Howdy,
> >
> > This may not exist. If not, oh well. Sometimes when I'm moving files
> > with Dolphin, I need a added feature. I tend to use split panes when I
> > copy or move files. Quite often, I want to move files from one location
> > to another and the new file use the same name as the old file I'm
> > replacing. What I *wish* I could do, move the file from one pane to the
> > other and drag the new file on top of the old file and it replace it
> > with the name of the old file. As it is now, I have to bring up
> > properties, select the name of the file, while not including the
> > extension, and copy it, then close that window and open properties on
> > the new file, highlight the old name, paste new name, close window, copy
> > new file over and either delete old file or tell it to overwrite the
> > file. Sometimes it has a different extension and I have to delete
> > instead.

> This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
> has a built-in command-line?

It has: F4. And the path of that terminal is synced with that of the current
file view. That’s something you don’t get with Yakuake.

> 1. Equivalent to your method
> - Select old file, F2 (rename), ctrl+c, esc, select new file in other
> pane, shift+F6 (move with rename), ctrl+v, enter

Shift+F6 only moves without rename—only if the destination already
exists.

Dolphin has a „Copy address“ function: Ctrl+Alt+C. It will copy the absolute
path of a file to the clipboard. Then you can use tab completion in the
Dolphin terminal at the original file’s location and type:
mv <Beginning of source file><Tab>
and then insert the destination. This will at least save you from
completion-tabbing through the destination directory.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

“She understands. She doesn’t comprehend.” – River Tam, Firefly
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 22:44:56 -0500, Dale wrote:

> I installed Yakuake and to me, it looks like Konsole but without the
> menu part at the top.  Other than that, I don't see anything special.  I
> kinda wish I had a terminal with dolphin or something.  I think there is
> a way but right now, I'm getting the job done.  I'll look into that
> later.  Pretty sure it is under the tool menu.

It is Konsole, but on demand. I have Konsole open on a separate desktop
permanently, but sometime I just want to run a quick shell command and
can press F12 to do it there and then.

--
Neil Bothwick

I@love~my,;It's%made in Taiwa~##$ ` #@
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 03:18:30 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Once Yakuake is running, F12 will open it in whichever virtual
> > desktop you happen to be and you can continue your work in the
> > terminal within that desktop. I'm not sure what other benefits it
> > has.
>
> I think since I always have Konsole open and ready, it is easier for me
> to use it.

The key point there is that it opens on the desktop you are using, so if
you need to refer to the program you are currently using, you have both
terminal and program together - that's where I find it useful.

--
Neil Bothwick

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary
notation and those who don't.
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 03:18:30 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>>> Once Yakuake is running, F12 will open it in whichever virtual
>>> desktop you happen to be and you can continue your work in the
>>> terminal within that desktop. I'm not sure what other benefits it
>>> has.
>> I think since I always have Konsole open and ready, it is easier for me
>> to use it.
> The key point there is that it opens on the desktop you are using, so if
> you need to refer to the program you are currently using, you have both
> terminal and program together - that's where I find it useful.

I can see where that can be handy.? For me, once I start my video moves,
I just have to type on the first one then after that, I just highlight
and paste the parts that are the same and use tab completion for the
rest.? It goes pretty fast from there.? The other thing, because of how
I have Konsole set up, it wants to run as root instead of user.? I don't
want to change that so I sort of changed things that make it
incompatible for me so it is faster to just go to Konsole.?

Good idea for most tho.? I'm just a odd ball.? lol

Dale

:-)? :-)?
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 3:15 PM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Good idea for most tho. I'm just a odd ball. lol
<SNIP>

Never truer words spoken... ;-)

Was following your thread because I'm working on a similar project here
using Plex.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 3:15 PM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com>> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > Good idea for most tho.  I'm just a odd ball.  lol
> <SNIP>
>
> Never truer words spoken... ;-)
>
> Was following your thread because I'm working on a similar project
> here using Plex.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Good.  Maybe something in this thread will help someone else.  Maybe
someone not as much a odd ball as me.  ROFL

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 at 22:33, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 10:10:52AM +0200 schrieb Arve Barsnes:
> > 1. Equivalent to your method
> > - Select old file, F2 (rename), ctrl+c, esc, select new file in other
> > pane, shift+F6 (move with rename), ctrl+v, enter
>
> Shift+F6 only moves without rename—only if the destination already
> exists.

Not sure what you mean here, although in essence any "rename"
operation in this context is always just a "mv" anyway. Maybe you
missed that I was talking about emelfm2, where shift+F6 lets you
change the name of the file you want to move before moving it. If you
change the name to something that exist in the destination, then
you'll get asked if you want to replace it.

Regards,
Arve
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 17:15:28 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Good idea for most tho.  I'm just a odd ball.  lol

You'll get no argument from me ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
On 2022-10-08, Wols Lists <antlists@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
> On 08/10/2022 04:44, Dale wrote:
>> I might add, along with tab completion, I also use the highlight
>> and middle click on the mouse.  A faster way to copy and paste when
>> needed.  That's a nifty feature of Konsole.
>
> I think that's been part of X since the dinosaurs were around.

Indeed. X has worked that for the 35 years I've been using it.

> Try it elsewhere, it works most places, afaik ...

If there's anywhere that doesn't work, then something is broken.

--
Grant
Re: Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists. [ In reply to ]
Dale wrote:

> This is a option I haven't thought of.  The mv command is a good
> thought.  Next time I have a lot of these to do, I'll try it.  It just
> may work.  Plus, tab completion would be a nice bonus.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Well, I ran into a slight problem.  This isn't much of a problem with
Linux but I'm not sure how this would work on windoze tho.  The problem,
if it is one, is the file extension.  Let's say I have a mp4 file that
is the older original file that I intend to replace.  If the file I
intend to put in its place is a .mkv file, mv uses the .mp4 extension
because all it cares about is the name of the file, not what it is or
its content.  So, I end up with a .mkv file that has a .mp4 extension.
It works here on Linux but not sure about windoze and such.

I looked at the man page and I don't see a way to tell it to retain the
extension.  I see something about suffix but I don't think that is
related to this.  If I just backspace and change the extension, it
basically moves the file and I end up with both the old and new file.  I
wish I could write code and create a tool for this.  :/

Is there a way to work around this problem?  It works great except for
losing the file extension.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)