Mailing List Archive

*sob*
I hate linux.

Yeah, I know I know. First mofo to argue with me about the above gets a
free ounce of lead, express delivery.

All of the followning statemens are true:

1. I am never not running seamonkey, it is always open at all times on
my left hand monitor, If at any point it was not on my left hand monitor
either I must have been going through a power failure or something had
broken it, because it is working at the moment I have decided not to use
emerge update for the next six months, two months in to that period at
this point.

2. Seamonkey is my default browser.

3. Seamonkey cannot be launched twice, ie it cannot be launched on my
right hand monitor because the monitors are using separte X servers and
it would need to be launched twice to come up on that monitor.

4. many applications that I run on my right hand monitor try to launch
my default browser which always reports an error message because it is
already running on a different monitor.

Therefore I need to obliterate the concept of a default web browser from
my machine.

All the stuff about default web browsers on goog is from different
distros. If I copy and paste the commands I get various obscure error
messages.

The only thing that seems to know how the default web browser was set is
a thing called "XDG" or "Xdg-config"

The manual page for xdg-config is criminally sparse. The author clearely
couldn't conceive that anyone would ever want to remove any setting for
any reason, especially not the holy default web browser, or set it to a
blank or default state...

I found that xdg had set a bunch of environment variables, and utilizes
data dilectories in every corner of my system. The hundreds of
individual files it uses don't have anything so obvious as

 <DEFAULT APPS>
<Web Browser>seamonkey.desktop </web browser>
</default apps>

Dear god! The user might try to manage his settings without the obscure
UNDOCUMENTED, crappy application we penguinoids think he should use it.
Instead, we need to come up with the most obscure, convoluted,
spaghetti-ized, obfuscated, arcane, and archaic design we can think of
to make sure the user never EVER gets control of his own system.

It feels like a metastatized cancer. It looks like it's intertwined with
as much of my system as possible. My home directory is incohprehensibly
stale, it has garbage that was left there fifteen years ago.

It looks like most of it is hiding among my steam games in
.local/share/  Most of the stuff in there is garbage from 2014, some
active files tho.

Only a penguin could invent a system this difficult for the user to
inspect and control.

Even after deleting the files xdg-settings still cheerfully reports my
default web browser is seamonkey,

NO YOU MTOHERFUCKER , NO DEFAULT, NO WEB , NO MOTHERFUCKING BROWSER, AND
NO SEAMONKEY!!! NONE OF IT YOU MOTHERFUCKKING MOTHERFUCKER AND BURN IN
HELL TO EVERYONE RESPONSIBLE FOR XDG!!

--
Beware of Zombies. =O
#EggCrisis #BlackWinter
Re: *sob* [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 12 June 2022 05:42:56 BST Alan Grimes wrote:
[snip ...]

> All of the followning statemens are true:
>
> 1. I am never not running seamonkey, it is always open at all times on
> my left hand monitor, If at any point it was not on my left hand monitor
> either I must have been going through a power failure or something had
> broken it, because it is working at the moment I have decided not to use
> emerge update for the next six months, two months in to that period at
> this point.
>
> 2. Seamonkey is my default browser.
>
> 3. Seamonkey cannot be launched twice, ie it cannot be launched on my
> right hand monitor because the monitors are using separte X servers and
> it would need to be launched twice to come up on that monitor.

Does a new web browser instance/window/tab have to come up in your RH monitor?

> 4. many applications that I run on my right hand monitor try to launch
> my default browser which always reports an error message because it is
> already running on a different monitor.
>

> Therefore I need to obliterate the concept of a default web browser from
> my machine.

I can think of a couple of options here instead of unsetting a default
browser, but I don't know how you may have configured your desktop environment:

1. You could set up a different default web browser. Take a look at 'man
xdg-settings' or for a primer check https://specifications.freedesktop.org/
basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html. You'll still run seamonkey as you do
anyway, all you'll use the default browser is for other applications to launch
ad-hoc.

2. You could create a customized .desktop file for your seamonkey browser in
your ~/.local/share/applications/ by copying the relevant .desktop file from /
usr/share/applications/ and changing any sections in it, like [Desktop Action
new-window], or [Desktop Action new-tab]. This will open a new window or tab
in the same instance of the already running seamonkey.

Others may know of different ways to achieve the same.
Re: *sob* [ In reply to ]

Re: *sob* [ In reply to ]

Re: *sob* [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 00:42:56 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:

> All of the followning statemens are true:
>
> 1. I am never not running seamonkey, it is always open at all times on
> my left hand monitor, If at any point it was not on my left hand monitor
> either I must have been going through a power failure or something had
> broken it, because it is working at the moment I have decided not to use
> emerge update for the next six months, two months in to that period at
> this point.
>
> 2. Seamonkey is my default browser.
>
> 3. Seamonkey cannot be launched twice, ie it cannot be launched on my
> right hand monitor because the monitors are using separte X servers and
> it would need to be launched twice to come up on that monitor.

The last statement is not quite true. It cannot be launched twice with
the same profile. This was the first hit when googling "seamonkey launch
two instances"

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_your_Mozilla_application_with_another_profile

Is there a particular reason for running two X servers rather than one
desktop on two screens? The latter completely avoids the problem you are
having.

--
Neil Bothwick

If God can't help you, how about Mr. Coffee?
>On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 00:42:56 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
>
>> All of the followning statemens are true:
>>
>> 1. I am never not running seamonkey, it is always open at all times on
>> my left hand monitor, If at any point it was not on my left hand
>> monitor either I must have been going through a power failure or
>> something had broken it, because it is working at the moment I have
>> decided not to use emerge update for the next six months, two months
>> in to that period at this point.
>>
>> 2. Seamonkey is my default browser.
>>
>> 3. Seamonkey cannot be launched twice, ie it cannot be launched on my
>> right hand monitor because the monitors are using separte X servers
>> and it would need to be launched twice to come up on that monitor.
>
>The last statement is not quite true. It cannot be launched twice with the same profile. This was the first hit when googling "seamonkey launch two instances"
>
>http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_your_Mozilla_application_with_another_profile
>
>Is there a particular reason for running two X servers rather than one desktop on two screens? The latter completely avoids the problem you are having.
>

>--
>Neil Bothwick
>
>If God can't help you, how about Mr. Coffee?

I can think of a few ways around this mess actually...

1. Use one X server for both screens, and should you happen to need a separate X server to contain something use xnest, xephyr, or a headless VNC server to run another X that you can have there as a window.
2. Since you're using two X instances, and therefore two instances of your window manager, etc., create two profiles for all that which use separate seamonkey profile folders for their default browser.
3. Go all the way and run your two X servers as two completely different user accounts. I presume you're already using separate keyboard and mouse for each anyway since I'm not sure how it would work otherwise.
4. Update your default browser string to explicitly set which X display to talk to. Then it will open on your left monitor no matter where it's launched from.
5. You can't really get away from having a default browser, and you probably don't want to since it'll break other things later, but you could make it launch a wrapper script that looks at what display it's on and behaves accordingly.
6. There used to be something called "libteleport" that would let you transfer X programs from one display to another. It was rarely used because programs had to be built against it, and most binary distros didn't... But on Gentoo that should theoretically be easy...
7. Several other browsers will automatically open new windows on whatever display their running instance is on (even over SSH... long story...) Since you don't want to switch to one of those you could port that functionality to Seamonkey.

I've probably missed a few options, that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

LMP