Some letters can be shown without their
top parts. In youtube videos, I may see only
the lower part of a gear that denotes some
customization features and so on.

However, I do not see any distortion
in playing videos.

Does anybody have any idea on what may
cause such effects?
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:

> After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
> symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.

Wahat exactly do you mean with “text mode”? Which terminal are you using,
and—most importantly—which font?

> It happens in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window for saving
> files. Maybe, also in xterm but I am not quite sure about it. So, it is
> not specific to any application.

So not only in text mode (i.e. TTY or terminal)?

> For example, while saving a web-page from a google-chrome, I sometimes
> cannot see a dot before html. However, it is present there.

See it where? A (small) screenshot may help.
Perhaps it is an overwide character, but the program that displays the text
wants to adhere to a regular character width. I’ve had this issue in the
past with Konsole.

> Some letters can be shown without their top parts. In youtube videos, I
> may see only the lower part of a gear that denotes some customization
> features and so on.

Only the gear? Or also all the other symbols in the video player toolbar?
Again, a nicely cropped screenshot may shed some light so we can better
understand it.

> However, I do not see any distortion in playing videos.

Did you set up a strange or very unusual DPI value for your font rendering?

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

I’m lying naked on the bed, eating fruit.
In the 16th century, I would have been painted.
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 27 ???. 2022 ?. ? 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:

> Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
>
> > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
> > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
>
> What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?

First of all, thank you for replying to my question.

By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.

> Which terminal are you using, and—most importantly—which font?

I am using xfce-terminal, and it is using Monospace Regular font on 11 pt.

In Gvim, I use the same Monospace Regular font on 10 pt.

I do not know which font is in use by the window that helps me
to save html files from the web-browser.

I have noticed this problem with cyrillic symbols and dots.

> > It happens in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window for saving
> > files. Maybe, also in xterm but I am not quite sure about it. So, it is
> > not specific to any application.
>
> So not only in text mode (i.e. TTY or terminal)?

No, as I already explained above, by "text mode" I mean that
"it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window
for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.

> > For example, while saving a web-page from a google-chrome, I sometimes
> > cannot see a dot before html. However, it is present there.
>
> See it where? A (small) screenshot may help.

Unfortunately, I have not made a screenshot of this. So, I will try to
explain:
When I press Ctrl+s to save an html page from the google-chrome
a dialog window is opened with the suggested name of the file that
ends in "html." There is a dot before that "html" but sometimes it was
not shown to me. The same was with the top parts of some cyrillic letters
(to the point that it was hard to read).

> Perhaps it is an overwide character, but the program that displays the
text
> wants to adhere to a regular character width. I’ve had this issue in the
> past with Konsole.

I do not think that it was connected with overwide characters because
the effect appeared not with them or beside them.

This problem with dots and top parts of letters *faded*
after I updated the freetype package this Sunday.
However, I cannot say that it stopped immediately after this update.
It indeed *faded* during a few rebooting after that.

> > Some letters can be shown without their top parts. In youtube videos, I
> > may see only the lower part of a gear that denotes some customization
> > features and so on.
>
> Only the gear? Or also all the other symbols in the video player toolbar?

No, not only the gear symbol but some other ones as well, but not all of
them.

> Again, a nicely cropped screenshot may shed some light so we can better
> understand it.

I was able to reproduce it just now and made a few screenshots.
I will add "a nicely cropped" ones as attachments to this email.

It as also interesting that the symbol in the youtube player toolbar
that was shown only partially changes to the full one when I move
a mouse pointer over it.

> > However, I do not see any distortion in playing videos.
>
> Did you set up a strange or very unusual DPI value for your font
rendering?

No, I have not played with this. And moreover, with the same settings,
it was completely ok for years.
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 28 ???. 2022 ?. ? 21:20, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> ??, 27 ???. 2022 ?. ? 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:
> >
> > Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
> >
> > > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
> > > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?
>
> First of all, thank you for replying to my question.
>
> By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
> and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
>
> > Which terminal are you using, and—most importantly—which font?
>
> I am using xfce-terminal, and it is using Monospace Regular font on 11 pt.
>
> In Gvim, I use the same Monospace Regular font on 10 pt.
>
> I do not know which font is in use by the window that helps me
> to save html files from the web-browser.
>
> I have noticed this problem with cyrillic symbols and dots.
>
> > > It happens in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window for saving
> > > files. Maybe, also in xterm but I am not quite sure about it. So, it is
> > > not specific to any application.
> >
> > So not only in text mode (i.e. TTY or terminal)?
>
> No, as I already explained above, by "text mode" I mean that
> "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window
> for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
>
> > > For example, while saving a web-page from a google-chrome, I sometimes
> > > cannot see a dot before html. However, it is present there.
> >
> > See it where? A (small) screenshot may help.
>
> Unfortunately, I have not made a screenshot of this. So, I will try to
> explain:
> When I press Ctrl+s to save an html page from the google-chrome
> a dialog window is opened with the suggested name of the file that
> ends in "html." There is a dot before that "html" but sometimes it was
> not shown to me.

It probably should be added that instead of that dot I saw a white space.

Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 09:20:08PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
> ??, 27 ???. 2022 ?. ? 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:
> >
> > Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
> >
> > > After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
> > > symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?
>
> By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
> and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.

I see, you mean text that was actually rendered and not part of an image.

I noticed that those applications you mention are all GTK-based. Do you have
any available that are built on Qt (or any other toolkit)?

I can’t say that I have seen that youtube issue before. But I also have no
idea what it could be or how to solve it. Could you create a new browser
profile and check whether the issue is still present there? This could tell
us whether it’s an issue with your existing profile.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Interesting monologues require an intelligent partner.
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 29 ???. 2022 ?. ? 00:42, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:

> Am Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 09:20:08PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
> > ??, 27 ???. 2022 ?. ? 13:55, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:

> > > What exactly do you mean with “text mode”?
> >
> > By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
> > and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
>
> I see, you mean text that was actually rendered and not part of an image.

Yes. Thank you for replying to this thread once more.

Yesterday evening I finally managed to catch the problem
with incomplete rendering of cyrillic letters "in text mode"
and make a screenshot of it. This time, it happened in
html page that was open in google-chrome.

A properly cropped screenshot of it is attached to this email.

As it may happen that you and other readers of this thread
are not familiar with cyrillic letters to the extent needed to see
that they are rendered incomplete, I also add a screenshot
of the same text rendered complete. I made it this morning
with the same google-chrome.

By the way, this means that the problem appears from time
to time and does not look to be easily reproducible.

I even assume that it may be a hardware problem
as my computer is quite old, but unfortunately
can not check this assumption so far.

> I noticed that those applications you mention are all GTK-based.

Yes, I try not to mix GTK and Qt on this old computer
as much as possible to reduce the time needed
to update the system. So, most of the applications on
it use GTK. The only one that I know uses Qt is VLC
as it does not work properly with GTK. However, I use
it quite rarely.

> Do you have any available that are built on Qt (or any other toolkit)?

I am afraid that VLC is the only one.
Once tried Qutebrowser was removed a long time ago.

> I can’t say that I have seen that youtube issue before. But I also have no
> idea what it could be or how to solve it. Could you create a new browser
> profile and check whether the issue is still present there? This could tell
> us whether it’s an issue with your existing profile.

I will try to create a new user and run google-chrome from his profile
and report the result here.

However, when the disk with my /home directory
was for a few months installed on another computer
also runned by Gentoo with similar configuration
I have not noticed such problems.

Moreover, I am starting to suspect that
the problem with incomplete rendering letters
"in text mode" and the problem with symbols
in the youtube video player toolbar may be
separate ones as the latter is much more
reproducible and appears only in google-chrome
(have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, 30 April 2022 12:49:59 BST gevisz wrote:
> ??, 29 ???. 2022 ?. ? 00:42, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:

> > > By "text mode" I mean that "it happened in Gvim, in a web-browser
> > > and in a dialog-window for saving files" but not in videos or pictures.
> >
> > I see, you mean text that was actually rendered and not part of an image.
>
> Yes. Thank you for replying to this thread once more.
>
> Yesterday evening I finally managed to catch the problem
> with incomplete rendering of cyrillic letters "in text mode"
> and make a screenshot of it. This time, it happened in
> html page that was open in google-chrome.
>
> A properly cropped screenshot of it is attached to this email.
>
> As it may happen that you and other readers of this thread
> are not familiar with cyrillic letters to the extent needed to see
> that they are rendered incomplete, I also add a screenshot
> of the same text rendered complete. I made it this morning
> with the same google-chrome.
>
> By the way, this means that the problem appears from time
> to time and does not look to be easily reproducible.
>
> I even assume that it may be a hardware problem
> as my computer is quite old, but unfortunately
> can not check this assumption so far.
>
> > I noticed that those applications you mention are all GTK-based.
>
> Yes, I try not to mix GTK and Qt on this old computer
> as much as possible to reduce the time needed
> to update the system. So, most of the applications on
> it use GTK. The only one that I know uses Qt is VLC
> as it does not work properly with GTK. However, I use
> it quite rarely.
>
> > Do you have any available that are built on Qt (or any other toolkit)?
>
> I am afraid that VLC is the only one.
> Once tried Qutebrowser was removed a long time ago.
>
> > I can’t say that I have seen that youtube issue before. But I also have no
> > idea what it could be or how to solve it. Could you create a new browser
> > profile and check whether the issue is still present there? This could
> > tell
> > us whether it’s an issue with your existing profile.
>
> I will try to create a new user and run google-chrome from his profile
> and report the result here.
>
> However, when the disk with my /home directory
> was for a few months installed on another computer
> also runned by Gentoo with similar configuration
> I have not noticed such problems.
>
> Moreover, I am starting to suspect that
> the problem with incomplete rendering letters
> "in text mode" and the problem with symbols
> in the youtube video player toolbar may be
> separate ones as the latter is much more
> reproducible and appears only in google-chrome
> (have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
> though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).

I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I have
seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on Enlightenment
desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the scale set on the
desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if this was also
occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing character problem on the
title bar of the browser window. This was on English text (UTF8 encoding).
Firefox and other applications didn't have a problem. At that time I recall
Chromium's rendering of the menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against
the desktop. Some update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it
on the interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver
(radeon).
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 1 ??? 2022 ?. ? 13:58, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com>:

> [...]
> > (have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
> > though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).
>
> I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I have
> seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on Enlightenment
> desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the scale set on the
> desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if this was also
> occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing character problem on the
> title bar of the browser window. This was on English text (UTF8 encoding).
> Firefox and other applications didn't have a problem. At that time I recall
> Chromium's rendering of the menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against
> the desktop. Some update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it
> on the interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver

Thank you for your input. My graphic card is also Radeon,
namely, built-in ATI Radeon X1250, and I use Awesome WM.
The problem appears mostly in google-chrome, but I saw it
also in Gvim, and currently it appeared also in the taskbar.
A properly cropped screenshot is attached to this message.
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, 1 May 2022 19:46:45 BST gevisz wrote:
> ??, 1 ??? 2022 ?. ? 13:58, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com>:
> > On Saturday, 30 April 2022 12:49:59 BST gevisz wrote:

> > > Moreover, I am starting to suspect that
> > > the problem with incomplete rendering letters
> > > "in text mode" and the problem with symbols
> > > in the youtube video player toolbar may be
> > > separate ones as the latter is much more
> > > reproducible and appears only in google-chrome
> > > (have not noticed it in Firefox, for example,
> > > though I quite rarely use Firefox to view youtube videos).
> >
> > I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I
> > have seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on
> > Enlightenment desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the
> > scale set on the desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if
> > this was also occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing
> > character problem on the title bar of the browser window. This was on
> > English text (UTF8 encoding). Firefox and other applications didn't have
> > a problem. At that time I recall Chromium's rendering of the
> > menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against the desktop. Some
> > update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it on the
> > interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver (radeon).
>
> Thank you for your input. My graphic card is also Radeon,
> namely, built-in ATI Radeon X1250, and I use Awesome WM.
> The problem appears mostly in google-chrome, but I saw it
> also in Gvim, and currently it appeared also in the taskbar.
> A properly cropped screenshot is attached to this message.

I suspect some interaction between your window manager and graphics driver
causes your character and symbol rendering problem. You may want to install a
different window manager and see if the problem remains, then approach the
Awesome devs to help you with troubleshooting. It's not unusual for less
mainstream WM devs to focus their code on NVidia/Intel, or whatever hardware
and drivers they have at their disposal and miss out on such problems like
yours until they are drawn to their attention.
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 2 ??? 2022 ?. ? 15:04, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com>:

> On Sunday, 1 May 2022 19:46:45 BST gevisz wrote:
> > ??, 1 ??? 2022 ?. ? 13:58, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com>:

> > > I can't offer much help on this, but I'll share a similar experience. I
> > > have seen something like this happening on Chromium, running on
> > > Enlightenment desktop a few years ago. I recall it was affected by the
> > > scale set on the desktop 1.2:1 or something like that. I can't recall if
> > > this was also occurring on Plasma. I think I saw the same missing
> > > character problem on the title bar of the browser window. This was on
> > > English text (UTF8 encoding). Firefox and other applications didn't have
> > > a problem. At that time I recall Chromium's rendering of the
> > > menu/toolbar and window border was fighting against the desktop. Some
> > > update on Chromium eventually fixed things. So I blamed it on the
> > > interplay between the desktop, browser and graphics card/driver (radeon).
> >
> > Thank you for your input. My graphic card is also Radeon,
> > namely, built-in ATI Radeon X1250, and I use Awesome WM.
> > The problem appears mostly in google-chrome, but I saw it
> > also in Gvim, and currently it appeared also in the taskbar.
> > A properly cropped screenshot is attached to this message.
>
> I suspect some interaction between your window manager and graphics driver
> causes your character and symbol rendering problem. You may want to install a
> different window manager and see if the problem remains,

Thank you. I will try another WM, probably XFCE4, which
I have used before Awesome (among other options)
and report my finding in this thread.

Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 2 ??? 2022 ?. ? 22:54, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> ??, 2 ??? 2022 ?. ? 15:04, Michael <confabulate@kintzios.com>:

> > > Thank you for your input. My graphic card is also Radeon,
> > > namely, built-in ATI Radeon X1250, and I use Awesome WM.
> > > The problem appears mostly in google-chrome, but I saw it
> > > also in Gvim, and currently it appeared also in the taskbar.
> > > A properly cropped screenshot is attached to this message.
> >
> > I suspect some interaction between your window manager and graphics driver
> > causes your character and symbol rendering problem. You may want to install a
> > different window manager and see if the problem remains,
>
> Thank you. I will try another WM, probably XFCE4, which
> I have used before Awesome (among other options)
> and report my finding in this thread.
>
> > then approach the Awesome devs to help you with troubleshooting.
> > It's not unusual for less mainstream WM devs to focus their code
> > on NVidia/Intel, or whatever hardware and drivers they have at their
> > disposal and miss out on such problems like yours until they are drawn
> > to their attention.

Today, I emerged xfce4-meta, started XFCE4
and spent a short period of time within it.

For this short period of time, the "problem"
with rendering symbols in youtube video player
toolbar in google-chrome appeared in exactly
the same way as it appeared within Awesome WM.

I have also noticed the problem with rendering
letters in google-chrome. However, it appeared
a bit different: parts of letters in an html page
were closed by small black boxes, however not
everywhere but only on a side panel.

At the same time letters of a word written on a button
had exactly the same rendering problem as within
Awesome WM.

So, it seems that the problem is not specific to Awesome WM.

It seems to me that the problem is somehow related
to redrawing a frame. However, I am still not sure if
it is a problem of software or hardware.

I have not tried another google-chrome profile so far.
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
Am Thu, May 05, 2022 at 08:46:39PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:

> It seems to me that the problem is somehow related
> to redrawing a frame. However, I am still not sure if
> it is a problem of software or hardware.
>
> I have not tried another google-chrome profile so far.

I would create a new (temporary test) user and log on with that. If the
problem still persists, it’s either a system config, a library (cairo,
freetype et al, graphics driver) or maybe even a hardware issue.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

The Earth is warming, the summers get warmer and warmer,
but the holidays stay this short!?
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 7 ??? 2022 ?. ? 12:47, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:

> Am Thu, May 05, 2022 at 08:46:39PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
>
> > It seems to me that the problem is somehow related
> > to redrawing a frame. However, I am still not sure if
> > it is a problem of software or hardware.
> >
> > I have not tried another google-chrome profile so far.
>
> I would create a new (temporary test) user and log on with that. If the
> problem still persists, it’s either a system config, a library (cairo,
> freetype et al, graphics driver) or maybe even a hardware issue.

Yes. It is exactly how I intended to do this, and sorry for not having
done it yet.

However, I have found that the problem of the incomplete rendering
symbols in text mode appears only after I play youtube videos in
google-chrome and persist after exiting it.

Playing youtube videos in firefox-bin does not cause this problem to
appear, nor does running google-chrome without playing youtube videos
in it.

Moreover, in Firefox-bin, I even do not have the problem with
incomplete rendering symbols in the youtube video player toolbar.

So, I already can blame this problem completely on google-chrome.
Moreover, I already know how to avoid it. :)

P.S. My current version of google-chrome is 101.0.4951.54. However,
the problem already appeared in its earlier versions and has survived
several updates of the google-chrome.
Re: Some symbols render incomplete in text mode [ In reply to ]
??, 10 ??? 2022 ?. ? 18:42, gevisz <gevisz@gmail.com>:

> ??, 7 ??? 2022 ?. ? 12:47, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de>:
> >
> > Am Thu, May 05, 2022 at 08:46:39PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:
> >
> > > It seems to me that the problem is somehow related
> > > to redrawing a frame. However, I am still not sure if
> > > it is a problem of software or hardware.
> > >
> > > I have not tried another google-chrome profile so far.
> >
> > I would create a new (temporary test) user and log on with that. If the
> > problem still persists, it’s either a system config, a library (cairo,
> > freetype et al, graphics driver) or maybe even a hardware issue.
>
> Yes. It is exactly how I intended to do this, and sorry for not having
> done it yet.
>
> However, I have found that the problem of the incomplete rendering
> symbols in text mode appears only after I play youtube videos in
> google-chrome and persist after exiting it.
>
> Playing youtube videos in firefox-bin does not cause this problem to
> appear, nor does running google-chrome without playing youtube videos
> in it.

Here I was wrong: running google-chrome even without playing youtube
videos may cause the same problems with incomplete rendering of
symbols/letters in text mode.