Mailing List Archive

Re: Wayland assorted problems IDENTIFIED
On 20/11/2021 19:59, Wol wrote:

> Okay, I rebooted the system, and tried to start Wayland. The first log
> is the output of my first attempt. This hung and I had to kill it.
> Actually, it was worse than that, <ctrl><alt><f2> caused the video
> driver or somesuch to crash - I ended up with a scrambled display, and
> had to ssh in and reboot ...
>
> I then googled, and because it said DISPLAY is not set, I tried setting
> it to both DISPLAY=localhost:0 and DISPLAY=0:0. This gave two identical
> logs, the second one, which didn't hang - it just failed to start and
> terminated.
>
> I'm trying to install and run the latest kernel - the current kernel has
> compiled the driver and firmware into the kernel, I've told the new
> kernel to build it as a module and not load the firmware into the
> kernel, but you've seen my post about genkernel ... where simply trying
> to tell genkernel to put the final initramfs somewhere other than the
> default causes fatal errors in the build ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

From the KDE Wayland web page ...

> Now switching back to the tty KWin is running on should show the
started window and allow to interact with it. Support for running KWin
on a tty is still in it's early stages. Bugs are to be expected and
there are known missing features. Please consider it only as a mode to
experiment with.

Hmmm .... so I need to be running from sddm or similar if I want it to
work ... which will open a complete 'nother can of worms ...

Cheers,
Wol