translation actually exist, and can someone point me to it?

Thanks.

Jack
Re: revisit bouncing messages from this list [ In reply to ]
On 2021-09-18 18:00-0400 Jack <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I reread most of two threads about this from 2018 and 2019, and there
> was a post that seemed to imply there was a way to translate the
> message number (196927 was the latest from this list for me) to a URL
> to see the message in the list archives at gentoo.org. Does such a
> translation actually exist, and can someone point me to it?

You can search the message with marc.info, the syntax is
<https://marc.info/?i=[Message-Id]>, for your e-mail it would be
<https://marc.info/?i=RNSQBYSM.LJDOAC3M.UQQ2ORSM@3SFUADZQ.IVSRWZWW.352VGHH4>.

Or you could use a web search machine and search for
site:archives.gentoo.org "RNSQBYSM.LJDOAC3M.UQQ2ORSM@3SFUADZQ.IVSRWZWW.352VGHH4"

Kind regards, tastytea

--
Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@tastytea.de` or at
<https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.
Re: revisit bouncing messages from this list [ In reply to ]
On 9/19/21 05:08, tastytea wrote:
> On 2021-09-18 18:00-0400 Jack <ostroffjh@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> I reread most of two threads about this from 2018 and 2019, and there
>> was a post that seemed to imply there was a way to translate the
>> message number (196927 was the latest from this list for me) to a URL
>> to see the message in the list archives at gentoo.org. Does such a
>> translation actually exist, and can someone point me to it?
> You can search the message with marc.info, the syntax is
> <https://marc.info/?i=[Message-Id]>, for your e-mail it would be
> <https://marc.info/?i=RNSQBYSM.LJDOAC3M.UQQ2ORSM@3SFUADZQ.IVSRWZWW.352VGHH4>.
>
> Or you could use a web search machine and search for
> site:archives.gentoo.org "RNSQBYSM.LJDOAC3M.UQQ2ORSM@3SFUADZQ.IVSRWZWW.352VGHH4"
>
> Kind regards, tastytea
Thanks but that doesn't help me.  I have 196927 available as a message
number.  How do I go from that to the message-id like
RNSQBYSM.LJDOAC3M.UQQ2ORSM@3SFUADZQ.IVSRWZWW.352VGHH4?  (The number is
for a message that bounced, the id is for the message I sent.)  I know I
could find that id in the headers, but I don't have the headers since I
never received the message.
Re: revisit bouncing messages from this list [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:00:35 -0400, Jack wrote:

> I reread most of two threads about this from 2018 and 2019, and there
> was a post that seemed to imply there was a way to translate the
> message number (196927 was the latest from this list for me) to a URL
> to see the message in the list archives at gentoo.org. Does such a
> translation actually exist, and can someone point me to it?

AFAIR you send a mail to the help address in the headers of any
message from the list and the list server will return a list of commands,
including the one you need.

--
Neil Bothwick

Sir! Romulan warbird decloaki\xBB\xAE\xF5\xF7\xFC\xC1 NO CARRIER
Re: revisit bouncing messages from this list [ In reply to ]
On 2021.09.19 13:18, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:00:35 -0400, Jack wrote:
>
> > I reread most of two threads about this from 2018 and 2019, and
> there
> > was a post that seemed to imply there was a way to translate the
> > message number (196927 was the latest from this list for me) to a
> URL
> > to see the message in the list archives at gentoo.org. Does such a
> > translation actually exist, and can someone point me to it?
>
> AFAIR you send a mail to the help address in the headers of any
> message from the list and the list server will return a list of
> commands,
> including the one you need.
I've done that, and I'll look again, but I don't recall seeing what I
need. What that help message does have is a command for requesting the
list server to resend a message based on message number. That fails
for me, as the resend bounces for the same reason the original bounced,
even if I don't know exactly what that was. I've tried it numerous
times, and have never received the requested resend. I need a way to
find the message through the web interface of the list archives - but
that works by message-id, not message number, thus my need to
translate.
Re: revisit bouncing messages from this list [ In reply to ]
Jack wrote:
> On 2021.09.19 13:18, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 18:00:35 -0400, Jack wrote:
>>
>> > I reread most of two threads about this from 2018 and 2019, and there
>> > was a post that seemed to imply there was a way to translate the
>> > message number (196927 was the latest from this list for me) to a URL
>> > to see the message in the list archives at gentoo.org.  Does such a
>> > translation actually exist, and can someone point me to it?
>>
>> AFAIR you send a mail to the help address in the headers of any
>> message from the list and the list server will return a list of
>> commands,
>> including the one you need.
> I've done that, and I'll look again, but I don't recall seeing what I
> need.  What that help message does have is a command for requesting
> the list server to resend a message based on message number.  That
> fails for me, as the resend bounces for the same reason the original
> bounced, even if I don't know exactly what that was.  I've tried it
> numerous times, and have never received the requested resend.  I need
> a way to find the message through the web interface of the list
> archives - but that works by message-id, not message number, thus  my
> need to translate.

In the past I've tried following the instructions, used to be on the
Gentoo site somewhere, and I've never got it to work.  I literally copy
and pasted the info and it has never sent the missing messages or a
error message.  If you do get it to work, I'd love to know how you did it.

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath getting this to work.  Unless
something has changed since I tried it, it is a lost cause.

Dale

:-)  :-)
Re: revisit bouncing messages from this list [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 12:44:32 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > I've done that, and I'll look again, but I don't recall seeing what I
> > need.  What that help message does have is a command for requesting
> > the list server to resend a message based on message number.  That
> > fails for me, as the resend bounces for the same reason the original
> > bounced, even if I don't know exactly what that was.  I've tried it
> > numerous times, and have never received the requested resend.  I need
> > a way to find the message through the web interface of the list
> > archives - but that works by message-id, not message number, thus  my
> > need to translate.
> >

> In the past I've tried following the instructions, used to be on the
> Gentoo site somewhere, and I've never got it to work.  I literally copy
> and pasted the info and it has never sent the missing messages or a
> error message.  If you do get it to work, I'd love to know how you did
> it.

It has generally worked for me, but after all that trouble, I get a
message that I have already read because a responder quoted it in its
entirety :-O

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 01C: Uncertainty error - Uncertainty may be inadequate.