Mailing List Archive

VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update

You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
the strace is a clone.

Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?

VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 9:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>
> You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
> the strace is a clone.
>
> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>
> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.

Oh, I have a clue ... I noticed that the user wasn't included in
/etc/group.  But he was before ...

I updated this system  by binary update, and I guess the default is
|--include-config.|

|From now on, I'll use |||--include-unmodified-config.||

||But adding the user, in both host and client /etc/group files, and
restarting X, didn't solve the problem, so there's likely some other old
configuration that got wiped out.
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 1:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>
> You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
> the strace is a clone.
>
> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>
> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.

Do you have installed:
app-emulation/virtualbox-extpack-oracle
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 10:10 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 2/8/21 1:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
>> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>>
>> You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
>> the strace is a clone.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>>
>> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
>> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.
>
> Do you have installed:
> app-emulation/virtualbox-extpack-oracle

No, is that newly necessary?  Sounds pretty proprietary.
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 1:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>
> You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
> the strace is a clone.
>
> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>
> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.

When you start to your VB, under menu: Devices -- Shared Clipboard: is it selected "Bidirectional"
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ] [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 9:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>
> You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
> the strace is a clone.
>
> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>
> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.

I just saw that my virtualbox-modules emerge failed.

Probably related to this:

$ uname -a
Linux txm0 *4.19.72-gentoo* #7 SMP Tue Jun 9 19:51:52 CEST 2020 x86_64
GNU/Linux

$ lt  /usr/src/
total 16
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Feb  3 02:14 linux-5.4.92-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Dec 30 19:17 linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Dec 12 21:55 linux-4.19.72-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Oct 20 23:50 linux-5.4.72-gentoo
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 Nov  8  2019 linux -> linux-*4.19.72-gentoo*

I'm not sure why I have all these newer versions of the kernel ...

What should I be at?  For an amd64...

Oh man...

$ eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-5.4.72-gentoo
  [2]   linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
  [3]   linux-5.4.92-gentoo

Was there an adminstrative step that I missed there?
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ] [ In reply to ]
Thelma
On 2/8/21 2:39 PM, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/8/21 9:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
>> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>>
>> You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
>> the strace is a clone.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>>
>> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
>> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.
>>

> I just saw that my virtualbox-modules emerge failed.
>
> Probably related to this:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux txm0 *4.19.72-gentoo* #7 SMP Tue Jun 9 19:51:52 CEST 2020 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> $ lt  /usr/src/
> total 16
> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Feb  3 02:14 linux-5.4.92-gentoo
> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Dec 30 19:17 linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
> drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Dec 12 21:55 linux-4.19.72-gentoo
> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Oct 20 23:50 linux-5.4.72-gentoo
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 Nov  8  2019 linux -> linux-*4.19.72-gentoo*
>
> I'm not sure why I have all these newer versions of the kernel ...
>
> What should I be at?  For an amd64...
>
> Oh man...
>
> $ eselect kernel list
> Available kernel symlink targets:
>   [1]   linux-5.4.72-gentoo
>   [2]   linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
>   [3]   linux-5.4.92-gentoo
>
> Was there an adminstrative step that I missed there?

Somehow you manged to unmerged the kernel in use, re-emerge it again: linux-4.19.72-gentoo (and set it as default)
and try to recompile again.
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ] [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/21 10:47 PM, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:

> Thelma
> On 2/8/21 2:39 PM, n952162 wrote:
>> On 2/8/21 9:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
>>> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>>>
>>> You can start it without error but it just goes away.  The last thing in
>>> the strace is a clone.
>>>
>>> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>>>
>>> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
>>> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.
>>>

>> I just saw that my virtualbox-modules emerge failed.
>>
>> Probably related to this:
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> Linux txm0 *4.19.72-gentoo* #7 SMP Tue Jun 9 19:51:52 CEST 2020 x86_64
>> GNU/Linux
>>
>> $ lt  /usr/src/
>> total 16
>> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Feb  3 02:14 linux-5.4.92-gentoo
>> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Dec 30 19:17 linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
>> drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Dec 12 21:55 linux-4.19.72-gentoo
>> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Oct 20 23:50 linux-5.4.72-gentoo
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 Nov  8  2019 linux -> linux-*4.19.72-gentoo*
>>
>> I'm not sure why I have all these newer versions of the kernel ...
>>
>> What should I be at?  For an amd64...
>>
>> Oh man...
>>
>> $ eselect kernel list
>> Available kernel symlink targets:
>>   [1]   linux-5.4.72-gentoo
>>   [2]   linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
>>   [3]   linux-5.4.92-gentoo
>>
>> Was there an adminstrative step that I missed there?
> Somehow you manged to unmerged the kernel in use, re-emerge it again: linux-4.19.72-gentoo (and set it as default)
> and try to recompile again.

Okay, tomorrow.
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ] [ In reply to ]
On 08/02/21 21:39, n952162 wrote:
> On 2/8/21 9:17 PM, n952162 wrote:
>> VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update
>>
>> You can start it without error but it just goes away. The last thing in
>> the strace is a clone.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this problem or know of a fix?
>>
>> VBoxClient has behaved like this before, if memory serves. Either I've
>> just forgotten what the problem was, or something new has popped up.
>>

> I just saw that my virtualbox-modules emerge failed.
>
> Probably related to this:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux txm0 *4.19.72-gentoo* #7 SMP Tue Jun 9 19:51:52 CEST 2020 x86_64
> GNU/Linux
>
> $ lt /usr/src/
> total 16
> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Feb 3 02:14 linux-5.4.92-gentoo
> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Dec 30 19:17 linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
> drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Dec 12 21:55 linux-4.19.72-gentoo
> drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Oct 20 23:50 linux-5.4.72-gentoo
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Nov 8 2019 linux -> linux-*4.19.72-gentoo*
>
> I'm not sure why I have all these newer versions of the kernel ...
>
> What should I be at? For an amd64...
>
> Oh man...
>
> $ eselect kernel list
> Available kernel symlink targets:
> [1] linux-5.4.72-gentoo
> [2] linux-5.4.80-gentoo-r1
> [3] linux-5.4.92-gentoo
>
> Was there an adminstrative step that I missed there?

When you do a sync, it pulls down the latest version of kernel source. I
don't do it all the time, but you really ought to upgrade to 5.4.92.

What I do (can't remember exactly because my live system hasn't been
upgraded since forever :-) is copy .config from the old kernel to the
new, and then is it "make oldconfig"? Either way, it configures the new
kernel using the old config file so all my local-specific stuff is kept.

Then just set it up in grub/whatever, make sure it works, and switch
over to it.

ALWAYS make sure your kernel is up-to-date before a depclean, because
this is what happens ...

(I *THINK* your old config will still be left lying around - as a
locally modified file it shouldn't be cleaned up ...)

Cheers,
Wol
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ] [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:17 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
> When you do a sync, it pulls down the latest version of kernel source. I
> don't do it all the time, but you really ought to upgrade to 5.4.92.

To expound on this, the 4.19 kernel IS still supported, both by
upstream and gentoo sources. If n952162 (OP) desires, they can stick
with this major version and use 4.19.175, which is the latest release
of that version. You are correct though; an upgrade is recommended,
since there are always security patches going into the trunk.

> What I do (can't remember exactly because my live system hasn't been
> upgraded since forever :-) is copy .config from the old kernel to the
> new, and then is it "make oldconfig"? Either way, it configures the new
> kernel using the old config file so all my local-specific stuff is kept.

This is what I do as well. If you don't want to be prompted for new
symbols, instead accepting the defaults, you can use "make
olddefconfig" instead.

> (I *THINK* your old config will still be left lying around - as a
> locally modified file it shouldn't be cleaned up ...)

Correct. Depcleaning gentoo-sources will leave any user-generated
files inside the src directory, including the .config file.
Unfortunately it also leaves behind the build artifacts there, so its
good to clean up /usr/src/ from time to time.
Re: VBoxClient --clipboard seems to be broken with a recent update [ probably RESOLVED ] [ In reply to ]
On February 11, 2021 7:22:53 AM PST, "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:17 +0000, Wols Lists wrote:
>> When you do a sync, it pulls down the latest version of kernel
>source. I
>> don't do it all the time, but you really ought to upgrade to 5.4.92.
>
>To expound on this, the 4.19 kernel IS still supported, both by
>upstream and gentoo sources. If n952162 (OP) desires, they can stick
>with this major version and use 4.19.175, which is the latest release
>of that version. You are correct though; an upgrade is recommended,
>since there are always security patches going into the trunk.
>
>> What I do (can't remember exactly because my live system hasn't been
>> upgraded since forever :-) is copy .config from the old kernel to the
>> new, and then is it "make oldconfig"? Either way, it configures the
>new
>> kernel using the old config file so all my local-specific stuff is
>kept.
>
>This is what I do as well. If you don't want to be prompted for new
>symbols, instead accepting the defaults, you can use "make
>olddefconfig" instead.
>
>> (I *THINK* your old config will still be left lying around - as a
>> locally modified file it shouldn't be cleaned up ...)

There is also an option to embed the config in the kernel and export it as /proc/config.gz

This keeps one from losing it or getting mixed up about what is actually running.

LMP