But when a package is emerge I receive via email notice as in subject line: "...merged on localhost.localdomain"
eg: package dev-vcs/git-2.26.2 merged on localhost.localdomain with notice

Which file define "${HOST}"
Re: merged on \${HOST} with notice" [ In reply to ]
On 17/01/2021 19:18, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
> I have in a new machine (as on all other boxes) in make.conf
> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with notice"
>
> In /etc/conf.d/hostname
> hostname="syscon3"
>
> But when a package is emerge I receive via email notice as in subject line: "...merged on localhost.localdomain"
> eg: package dev-vcs/git-2.26.2 merged on localhost.localdomain with notice
>
> Which file define "${HOST}"

Hello,

I suppose you had already rebooted after modify the file ?

Do you have Systemd ?

Regards,

Hogren
Re: merged on \${HOST} with notice" [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/21 12:59 PM, Hogren wrote:

> On 17/01/2021 19:18, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> I have in a new machine (as on all other boxes) in make.conf
>> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with notice"
>>
>> In  /etc/conf.d/hostname
>> hostname="syscon3"
>>
>> But when a package is emerge I receive via email notice as in subject line: "...merged on localhost.localdomain"
>> eg: package dev-vcs/git-2.26.2 merged on localhost.localdomain with notice
>>
>> Which file define "${HOST}"
>>
> Hello,
>
> I suppose you had already rebooted after modify the file ?
>
> Do you have Systemd ?
>

> Regards,
>
> Hogren

No, I did not rebooted the system. Do I need to?
I can not pin it down which file/setting it is.

When I receive emerge notice from my new system, both of them have "...merged on localhost.localdomain" instead of "hostname" eg. syscon3 syscon7 etc.
Re: merged on \${HOST} with notice" [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/21 12:59 PM, Hogren wrote:

> On 17/01/2021 19:18, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> I have in a new machine (as on all other boxes) in make.conf
>> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with notice"
>>
>> In  /etc/conf.d/hostname
>> hostname="syscon3"
>>
>> But when a package is emerge I receive via email notice as in subject line: "...merged on localhost.localdomain"
>> eg: package dev-vcs/git-2.26.2 merged on localhost.localdomain with notice
>>
>> Which file define "${HOST}"
>>
> Hello,
>
> I suppose you had already rebooted after modify the file ?
>
> Do you have Systemd ?

I forgot to mention, I use openrc
Re: merged on \${HOST} with notice" [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>I have in a new machine (as on all other boxes) in make.conf
>PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with notice"
[..]
>Which file define "${HOST}"

==== /etc/hosts ====
[..]
# IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname

127.0.0.1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost
::1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost
====

Use 'localdomain' as domain.tld if you don't have a domain.

HTH,
-dnh

--
Less is more or less more
Re: merged on \${HOST} with notice" [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/21 2:04 PM, David Haller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>> I have in a new machine (as on all other boxes) in make.conf
>> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with notice"
> [..]
>> Which file define "${HOST}"
>
> ==== /etc/hosts ====
> [..]
> # IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname
>
> 127.0.0.1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost
> ::1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost
> ====
>
> Use 'localdomain' as domain.tld if you don't have a domain.
>
> HTH,
> -dnh

THANK YOU! It is working.
Does placement of the name make a difference?
eg:
127.0.0.1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost

vs.
127.0.0.1 localhost syscon3 syscon3.domain.tld
Re: merged on \${HOST} with notice" [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 22:36, <thelma@sys-concept.com> wrote:
> Does placement of the name make a difference?

See the man page for details:
# man hosts

Regards,
Arve
Re: merged on \${HOST} with notice" [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>On 1/17/21 2:04 PM, David Haller wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, thelma@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>> I have in a new machine (as on all other boxes) in make.conf
>>> PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILSUBJECT="package \${PACKAGE} merged on \${HOST} with notice"
>> [..]
>>> Which file define "${HOST}"
>>
>> ==== /etc/hosts ====
>> [..]
>> # IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost
>> ::1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost
>> ====
>
>THANK YOU! It is working.
>Does placement of the name make a difference?
>eg:
>127.0.0.1 syscon3.domain.tld syscon3 localhost
>
>vs.
>127.0.0.1 localhost syscon3 syscon3.domain.tld

Yes. That's why I quoted the comment that the FQDN has to be first.

You can check with:

$ hostname
$ hostname -f

The former must give the short name ("syscon3"), the second one the FQDN
("syscon3.domain.tld").

HTH,
-dnh

--
>Wow, and everyone swears [Python]'s better than Perl. Wait, you don't say
>it's worse, never mind. -- Satya
The axis on which Perl sits is rotated 90 degrees with respect to the
rest of language-goodness-space. -- Garrett Wollman