seems it was built using gcc-3.2.xx

Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)
Re: Java on sparc [ In reply to ]
On 10/1/07, Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org> wrote:
> You might check out this forum thread:
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-547221.html
> This points to a blackdown-1.4.1 beta version for sparc. Whether or not
> it can be used on a system using a current compiler I do not know; it
> seems it was built using gcc-3.2.xx

My recollection of the problems that led to blackdown being masked in
the newer profiles is as below. Basically there were two main
problems that were noticed.

- Using a newer gcc and glibc than was in the 2005.x profiles caused
failures with blackdown (probably broken library dependencies).
- Even when it did work, there were problems on multi-processor
systems where applications would fail to build but worked just fine on
a single processor system

Jason Wever
Re: Java on sparc [ In reply to ]
Ferris McCormick wrote:
> You might check out this forum thread:
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-547221.html
> This points to a blackdown-1.4.1 beta version for sparc. Whether or not
> it can be used on a system using a current compiler I do not know; it
> seems it was built using gcc-3.2.xx
>
> Regards,

It was a couple of years ago, my memory is vague. The blackdown 1.4
version had problems building OpenOffice.org - random crashes at
certain modules, not properly reproducible. Also there were some
important security fixes I believe did not get done in the sparc
version. Then 1.4 just stopped working on my debian system - something
about shared libraries (libc?) not compatible, but I had already changed
to gcj at that stage so I did not pursue that. Blackdown had patches
for 1.5 but not enough people with know-how to help get it released.

My personal interest is about java for openoffice.org. The ooo-build
developers (incl redhat, debian & novell) have put patches upstream so
OOo builds and runs using ecj for java parts and gstreamer for the media
parts in OOo that would otherwise require the Java Media Framework (JMF)
that also is not ported to sparc last time I looked. And debian
provides an ecj for sparc. I don't know about the politics or licence
issues but it seems that gnu and the other distributions have all
committed to ecj?

thanks
jim