Mailing List Archive

[Fwd: Re: emerging of silo fails]
on 09/17/2007 09:49 PM brant williams wrote the following:

> Which version of linux-headers are you running? Can you do an `emerge -
> -pv linux-headers` and show the output?

poseidon ~ # emerge -pv linux-headers

!!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
!!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:
default-linux/sparc/sparc32/2006.1

To upgrade do the following steps:

# emerge -n '>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.51'
# cd /etc
# rm make.profile
# ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc32/2006.1
make.profile

# This profile is deprecated and will be removed on or after November 1,
2007

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.26-r1 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
poseidon ~ #

> I have no experience with SPARC32, but 2.4 is a fine kernel, and not
> wholly different (from a user/administrator perspective) than 2.6. You
> have to use devfs instead of udev. .:shrug:.

sys-fs/devfsd-1.3.25-r9

> I know a little about running (Hardened) Gentoo Linux 2.4/2.6 on
> SPARC64, although I imagine it's not drastically different for the
> SPARCStation 5. So let's start with your kernel-headers version and go
> from there. Also, if you could post /usr/src/linux/.config and (if
> possible) any dmesg output, that'd be great.

See attached files (compressed).

I tried to change to kernel 2.6 (see attached 2.6-config) but, the
resulting image exceeded the bootable size, then I stripped it with:
# strip -R .comment -R .note vmlinux
(according to
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml?part=1&chap=7)
but still the boot process kept hanging on the kernel loading phase.

forgot to attach the files in the first place
...sorry