Mailing List Archive

after switched harddisk users can login no more
Hello. Recently I have replaced my old 160GB IDE harddisk with 320GB
SATA harddisk (using PCI VT6421 IDE RAID Controller), this is what I
did:
1. connect both old harddisk and new one to the PCI IDE Controller;
2. partition the new harddisk (because it is originally labeld as
MSDOS harddisk since I bought it, I partitioned it using MSDOS
partition table, a.k.a not sun disk label. I guess it's no
problem because this harddisk is not the booting harddisk);
3. all partitions are created in ext3, mount to /mnt
as /mnt/root /mnt/home etc
4. do "cp -avR" for each partition;
5. edit /etc/fstab to mount new harddisk partitions rather then old
harddisk;
6. reboot, it works, I can log as root, all services running fine
(including ftp etc)
7. remove old harddisk;

So far everything is smooth untill I found I cannot login the host
(named sappho) as anyone other then root.

yuliansu@esmeralda:~> ssh zhangweiwu@sappho
Password:
Last login: Wed Dec 13 00:51:51 2006 from 218.193.55.201
Could not chdir to home directory /home/zhangweiwu: Permission denied
/bin/bash: Permission denied
Connection to sappho closed.

yuliansu@esmeralda:~> ssh root@sappho
Last login: Wed Dec 13 00:52:07 2006 from 218.193.55.201
sappho ~ #

Strangely: it seems everybody do have permission to run /bin/bash

sappho ~ # ls -lh /bin/bash
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 693K Feb 9 2006 /bin/bash

This is rather strange, such thing never happend (have permission to run
but get "Permission denied") in my 6 years of using Linux. Can I get
some of your suggestions? Is it because I didn't label the harddisk with
sun disk label?

Re: after switched harddisk users can login no more [ In reply to ]
On 19:59 Wed 13 Dec , Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. Recently I have replaced my old 160GB IDE harddisk with 320GB
> SATA harddisk (using PCI VT6421 IDE RAID Controller), this is what I
> did:
> 1. connect both old harddisk and new one to the PCI IDE Controller;
> 2. partition the new harddisk (because it is originally labeld as
> MSDOS harddisk since I bought it, I partitioned it using MSDOS
> partition table, a.k.a not sun disk label. I guess it's no
> problem because this harddisk is not the booting harddisk);
> 3. all partitions are created in ext3, mount to /mnt
> as /mnt/root /mnt/home etc
> 4. do "cp -avR" for each partition;
> 5. edit /etc/fstab to mount new harddisk partitions rather then old
> harddisk;
> 6. reboot, it works, I can log as root, all services running fine
> (including ftp etc)
> 7. remove old harddisk;
>
> So far everything is smooth untill I found I cannot login the host
> (named sappho) as anyone other then root.
>
> yuliansu@esmeralda:~> ssh zhangweiwu@sappho
> Password:
> Last login: Wed Dec 13 00:51:51 2006 from 218.193.55.201
> Could not chdir to home directory /home/zhangweiwu: Permission denied
> /bin/bash: Permission denied
> Connection to sappho closed.
>
> yuliansu@esmeralda:~> ssh root@sappho
> Last login: Wed Dec 13 00:52:07 2006 from 218.193.55.201
> sappho ~ #
>
> Strangely: it seems everybody do have permission to run /bin/bash
>
> sappho ~ # ls -lh /bin/bash
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 693K Feb 9 2006 /bin/bash
>
> This is rather strange, such thing never happend (have permission to run
> but get "Permission denied") in my 6 years of using Linux. Can I get
> some of your suggestions? Is it because I didn't label the harddisk with
> sun disk label?

Try doing:
ls -ld /

Make sure the permissions on the root directory are 755 not 700.
Re: after switched harddisk users can login no more [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 December 2006 22:59, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> yuliansu@esmeralda:~> ssh zhangweiwu@sappho
> Password:
> Last login: Wed Dec 13 00:51:51 2006 from 218.193.55.201
> Could not chdir to home directory /home/zhangweiwu: Permission denied
> /bin/bash: Permission denied
> Connection to sappho closed.

Verify that /home is mounted and /home/zhangweiwu exists and is writable for
that user.
root doesn't use /home to login so that is likely the problem seeing as you
copied with the -a switch to preserve permissions.
hgg
Re: after switched harddisk users can login no more [ In reply to ]
在 2006-12-13三的 08:53 -0500,Will Simoneau写道:

> Try doing:
> ls -ld /
>
> Make sure the permissions on the root directory are 755 not 700.

I learnt a very good lesson this time! You are right, my root directory
is 700. After corrected that things start to work.

This is a very good lesson for all other beginners (though I am a stupid
old user): check permission for parent folders!

--
锐业软服(国内业务) http://www.realss.cn
Real SoftService http://www.realss.com