Mailing List Archive

OT: From gentoo to Solaris
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
gentuxx wrote:
> I'm running into an issue where the installer doesn't recognize the
> drive layout of the "big" drive I have in there now. Is there a way
> with the gentoo-sparc InstallCD that I can reset the CHS settings in the
> partition map to something the (uber-picky) Solaris install script would
> recognize?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

Running that from the Gentoo CD will clear off the disklabel created by fdisk.
Then the Solaris installer can choose whatever settings it wants for the drive.

Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
Today's lesson in political correctness: "Go asphyxiate on a phallus"
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 08 October 2006 09:40, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
>
> Running that from the Gentoo CD will clear off the disklabel created by
> fdisk. Then the Solaris installer can choose whatever settings it wants for
> the drive.

To be clear on this, solaris will then right a new partition table and all
your data will be lost.

If you aren't fussed about losing all the data then just run 'format' from the
solaris console window after the installer craps out recognising disks and
slices.

Hamish
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
gentuxx wrote:

> I've tried this, except I think I used "bs=1024". Still no joy.

Drop the bs= and count= bits, and let dd overwrite the entire drive with 0's
until it runs out of space. Might take a few hours, so pop a movie into the DVD
player and kick back while dd wages a scorched earth campaign on the drive.

If Solaris refuses to work even after that, then it's broke, and it will just
further prove that Linux is superior, for t3h win.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
On 10/7/06, gentuxx <gentuxx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have an Ultra5 that I was running gentoo on (quite happily I might
> add). But a recent project requires that I switch it to Solaris
> (preferably 10, but 9 would work too).
>
> I'm running into an issue where the installer doesn't recognize the
> drive layout of the "big" drive I have in there now. Is there a way
> with the gentoo-sparc InstallCD that I can reset the CHS settings in the
> partition map to something the (uber-picky) Solaris install script would
> recognize?

What size is the drive? If it's over about 130GB, you could be running
into a problem with the archaic IDE controller on that Ultra 5.

Mike
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
Re: OT: From gentoo to Solaris [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, gentuxx wrote:

> > What size is the drive? If it's over about 130GB, you could be
> > running into a problem with the archaic IDE controller on that
> > Ultra 5.
>
> It's 120GB. Solaris "sees" 114GB.

It's the old question: is a "megabyte" 2^20 bytes or 10^6 bytes?
Marketers like base 10 because they can report bigger megabyte counts
on their hard drives, but many engineers still see everything in base
2.

Hard drives, even in sizes greater than 100G, are still measured in
megabytes. So a drive with 1200 base-10 megabytes (120G) only counts
as 1144 base-2 megabytes (114G).

(1200*(10^6))/(2^20) = 1144

The disparity is even wider if you do battle at the next level up: is
a gigabyte 2^30 or 10^9? In that case, the 120G HD is only 111G:

(120*(10^9))/(2^30) = 111

Reminds me of Tom Lehrer's semi-classic "New Math":

Now, that actually is not the answer that I had in mind, because
the book that I got this problem out of wants you to do it in
base eight. But don't panic! Base eight is just like base ten
really - if you're missing two fingers! Shall we have a go at
it? Hang on...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@madboa.com <> www.madboa.com