Mailing List Archive

[Fwd: Re: xorg-x11-7.1 (X-modular) is stable on sparc and in sync with x86.]
-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: xorg-x11-7.1 (X-modular) is stable on sparc and in sync
with x86.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:21:40 -0700

[off-list, since I'm not subscribed to it]

Ferris McCormick wrote:
> If you are running xorg-x11-6.8.2-r8 and are suddenly confronted with
> a huge update to 7.1 but do not wish to convert blind, you should be
> able to mask the upgrade in your /etc/portage/package.mask file, thus:
>> =x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0

You may also want to mask >=virtual/x11-7 since virtual/x11 is what
packages actually use in dependencies -- I'm not actually sure whether
this is necessary, though.

> But do not depend on this forever, because the xorg-x11-6.8.2 group will
> disappear at some point (and if you happen to be using 6.9.0, long term
> that is probably not a good strategy either).

Monolithic X is no longer guaranteed to receive patches for security
vulnerabilities, and there's already a denial of service with potential
code execution that's been fixed only in modular X.

Thanks,
Donnie
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>