it like a hard mask where they are known not to work?

TIA

Nick

Re: Missing Keyword [ In reply to ]
On 2/23/06, Nick Smith <nick.smith79@gmail.com> wrote:
> ive been wondering this for a while. i know how to deal with masked
> packages, beit keyword masked or hardmasked, but ive googled and
> googled, and cant seem to find or figure out how to deal with masked
> packages that are missing keywords. there is a nice document in the
> wiki that explains masked packages but it makes no mention to ones
> that are missing a keyword.
> what are you suppose to do to these files to get them unmasked? and it
> it like a hard mask where they are known not to work?
>
> TIA
>
> Nick

Add them to your overlay, and add the sparc keyword that way. If it
works, file a bug stating that package foo works on sparc.

Mike

Re: Missing Keyword [ In reply to ]

Re: Missing Keyword [ In reply to ]
On 2/23/06, Nick Smith <nick.smith79@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Add them to your overlay, and add the sparc keyword that way. If it
> > works, file a bug stating that package foo works on sparc.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > --
> >

> ok cool, how does one add something to his overlay?
>
> --

The overlay is used for user-controlled portage trees. By default,
there is no overlay defined, you'll need to uncomment PORTDIR_OVERLAY
in /etc/make.conf.

Make the directory, which the commented default is /usr/local/portage

You need to make the directory structure in the overlay so it's just
like in the standard portage directory. If you want to add virtual/foo
to your overlay in /usr/local/portage, you'd make the directory
/usr/local/portage/virtual.

Then, I do the easy way, which is 'cp -a /usr/portage/virtual/foo
/usr/local/portage/virtual'. This copies the full directory tree of
foo to the overlay.

Then, edit the ebuild you want to add a new keyword to. If I wanted to
add the sparc keyword to foo-1.0, I'd edit that ebuild, and then add
'sparc' to the KEYWORDS="" section.

After you've added the keyword, do 'ebuild foo-1.0.ebuild digest' to
update the digest with the updated ebuild.

You can now go ahead and emerge that version of the package.

HTH,
Mike