same like in the forum:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-430459.html?sid=d88bca7a09368b42113c1c47385ca134

and "Stack Underflow".

silo in aurora-2-beta seems to work. they use kernel 2.6.13 an a huge
initrd. But after starting kernel it says something like no CPUs found
(only one line). I'm not sure if this is the kernel or silo.

THX,

Sascha.

Re: Fire V490 / UltraSparc IV+ [ In reply to ]
Re: Fire V490 / UltraSparc IV+ [ In reply to ]
Hi Gustavo,

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Gustavo Zacarias wrote:
> Hi. We've never had a UltraSPARC-IV machine to test with.
> You can try my experimental ISO @
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~gustavoz/sparc/experimental/
> It's based on silo 1.4.10 and while it does not cut it for many machines
> models it might do in your case. It has 2.6.15+patches and
> 2.4.32+patches to try.
> Feedback more than welcome!

Thanks for your live-cd. But I'm sorry it didn't work (log written by
hand):

boot: gentoo24
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
loaded kernel version 2.4.32
virt)...

ERROR: Last Trap: Illegal Instruction

Error -256

------------------------------------

boot: gentoo26
Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
loaded kernel version 2.6.15
virt)...

ERROR: Last Trap: Illegal Instruction

Error -256

ERROR: Last Trap: Fast Instruction Access MMU Miss

ERROR -256
Stack underflow

------------------------------------

Can you tell me who's causing the error messages? SILO, openbootrom,
kernel?

THX,

Sascha.

Re: Fire V490 / UltraSparc IV+ [ In reply to ]
Sascha Lucas wrote:

> boot: gentoo26
> Allocated 8 Megs of memory at 0x40000000 for kernel
> loaded kernel version 2.6.15
> virt)...
>
> ERROR: Last Trap: Illegal Instruction
>
> Error -256
>
> ERROR: Last Trap: Fast Instruction Access MMU Miss
>
> ERROR -256
> Stack underflow

wrong (and maybe has patches).

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
Re: Fire V490 / UltraSparc IV+ [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Kumba wrote:
> Looks like it's silo in this case. You might want to post this to the
> sparclinux mailing list and see if anyone there might know what silo is doing
> wrong (and maybe has patches).

Thanks. If silo is responsible, what other possibilities do I have to load
the kernel? Please excuse, but it's the first time I'm working with sparc.
What about:

- boot rom: can it load and run the kernel from disk/cdrom without silo

- grub: solaris 10 now uses a patched grub (patch sent to grub folks).
something known/usable?

- boot net: the experimental tftpboot image... I will try this, but don't
know what the image is (just kernel+initramfs? for the case I need a
newer/other one)

Sascha.