--
Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, freshy98 wrote:

> Does anyone have a SUN Blade 100 kernel 2.6.x config for me to use
> as a reference? I got a basic machine with a 500MHz CPU, 512MB RAM,
> SYM88201 SCSI card with a 9.1GB drive hooked up to it. I ditched the
> IDE drive obviously.

My experience, for what it's worth, is not so good running 2.6 kernels
on a Blade 100. I'd get (seemingly) random lockups anywhere from a few
hours to a couple weeks after boot. Admittedly, however, I haven't
tried since 2.6.10. The 2.4 series, on the other hand, has been very
reliable.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@madboa.com <> www.madboa.com
Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
Hmm, not nice.
Do you have a kernel config for a 2.4.x kernel for me then, or anyone else?

Tom

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, freshy98 wrote:

> Do you have a kernel config for a 2.4.x kernel for me then, or
> anyone else?

Sure:

http://www.madboa.com/geek/downloads/config-sunblade-2.4.30

Note that my Blade is completely headless -- I've never had a keyboard
or monitor attached to it. Other than that, and the fact that it's got
an Intel NIC in a PCI slot, it's completely stock.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@madboa.com <> www.madboa.com
Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
Quoting Paul Heinlein <heinlein@madboa.com>:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, freshy98 wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have a SUN Blade 100 kernel 2.6.x config for me to use
> > as a reference? I got a basic machine with a 500MHz CPU, 512MB RAM,
> > SYM88201 SCSI card with a 9.1GB drive hooked up to it. I ditched the
> > IDE drive obviously.
>
> My experience, for what it's worth, is not so good running 2.6 kernels
> on a Blade 100. I'd get (seemingly) random lockups anywhere from a few
> hours to a couple weeks after boot. Admittedly, however, I haven't
> tried since 2.6.10. The 2.4 series, on the other hand, has been very
> reliable.

i have been running a sunblade 100 since 2002 and never saw any kerenl problems
from debian including 2.6.8 an 2.6.12. i am currently using 2.6.13 built myself
from released upstream sources unchanged except a minor patch to remove "static
int errno;" when the build stopped in a few places places and made initrd.img
with yaird. no dramas and runs nicely. builds openoffice.org more or less
continuosly for 3 years now. only my cdrom does not work but that didnt work on
solaris either.

jim

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, freshy98 wrote:
>
> > Do you have a kernel config for a 2.4.x kernel for me then, or
> > anyone else?
>
> Sure:
>
> http://www.madboa.com/geek/downloads/config-sunblade-2.4.30
>
> Note that my Blade is completely headless -- I've never had a keyboard
> or monitor attached to it. Other than that, and the fact that it's got
> an Intel NIC in a PCI slot, it's completely stock.
>
> --
> Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@madboa.com <> www.madboa.com

Thanks a lot! Will work with it tomorrow evening.

Tom

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]

> Quoting Paul Heinlein <heinlein@madboa.com>:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, freshy98 wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have a SUN Blade 100 kernel 2.6.x config for me to use
> > > as a reference? I got a basic machine with a 500MHz CPU, 512MB RAM,
> > > SYM88201 SCSI card with a 9.1GB drive hooked up to it. I ditched the
> > > IDE drive obviously.
> >
> > My experience, for what it's worth, is not so good running 2.6 kernels
> > on a Blade 100. I'd get (seemingly) random lockups anywhere from a few
> > hours to a couple weeks after boot. Admittedly, however, I haven't
> > tried since 2.6.10. The 2.4 series, on the other hand, has been very
> > reliable.
>
> i have been running a sunblade 100 since 2002 and never saw any kerenl
> problems
> >from debian including 2.6.8 an 2.6.12. i am currently using 2.6.13 built
> myself
> >from released upstream sources unchanged except a minor patch to remove
> "static
> int errno;" when the build stopped in a few places places and made
> initrd.img
> with yaird. no dramas and runs nicely. builds openoffice.org more or less
> continuosly for 3 years now. only my cdrom does not work but that didnt
> work on
> solaris either.
>
> jim

Jim,

Could you give me a link, or mail your .config please?
I would like to try it out on 2.6.13.4 (vanilla-sources).

Also, where can I get this patch, or what file and where in this file do I
remove this line you mention?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net>:

> > >from debian including 2.6.8 an 2.6.12. i am currently using 2.6.13 built
> > myself
> > >from released upstream sources unchanged except a minor patch to remove
> > "static
> > int errno;" when the build stopped in a few places places and made
> > initrd.img
> > with yaird. no dramas and runs nicely. builds openoffice.org more or less
> Jim,
>
> Could you give me a link, or mail your .config please?
> I would like to try it out on 2.6.13.4 (vanilla-sources).
>
> Also, where can I get this patch, or what file and where in this file do I
> remove this line you mention?

Hi,
I dont know about gentoo but just like point out the default .config in the
upstream sources does work for me, in case that information will help. maybe a
patch is not needed with later versions, I will report soon.

I am not hiding, i just dont have the build anymore as not enough space, but i
will build the latest now and post the .config if you dont first. the "patch" i
mentioned is just some small changes i describe below.

I just download the tar.bz2 sources from mirror of kernel.org and

make menuconfig

to select the module i required for sound on sunblade 100, something like
snd_m5451 from memory.

That means the .config is the one provided in the sources. I have no idea if
that one is good for you. then

make

now it will crash and complain at a few times, the file name and line number is
mentioned in the error message, and just go into that file and comment out the
line that says

static int errno;

as you will see it is already in unistd.h then enter make again
i did that about three times.

now need to become root or equivalent then

make modules_install;make install (per the README)

the vmlinux is at the top directory. then rename it for example

mv vmlinux vmlinux.2.6.13

then make a initrd.img by this

yaird --verbose --output=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.13 2.6.13

then update the /boot/silo.conf in my case adding

image=/vmlinux-2.6.13
label=mylinux
initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.13

So it fairly well builds "out of the box" and i have sounds running nicely on my
sunblade 100 also video streams using vlc using windows streams but not real ;(

hope that helps. it is only describing my experience, it is not on gentoo, not a
guide or howto. but maybe it gives a clue to someone?

i will get the 2.6.13.4 and post my results. and i will post the .config too

thanks

jim
Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
Quoting jim@amarooas.com.au:
> Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net>:

> > Could you give me a link, or mail your .config please?
> > I would like to try it out on 2.6.13.4 (vanilla-sources).

Tom,

i got 2.6.13.4 sources and there is no .config !
But .config is created when I run make menuconfig
In my case it copied the existing config from /boot/config-2.6.13
It must have put that one there by make install I suppose.

So it is probably smart enough to figure what you need, except not the sound
module.
In my case the original default is just fine except i choose for sound

in the .config it is
CONFIG_SND_ALI5451=m

I figured out the required module by running lspci
<snip>
0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link
Controller Audio Device (rev 01)

I will mail you the .config off list

thanks

jim

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
<--> CUT
> hope that helps. it is only describing my experience, it is not on gentoo,
> not a
> guide or howto. but maybe it gives a clue to someone?
>
> i will get the 2.6.13.4 and post my results. and i will post the .config
> too
>
> thanks
>
> jim

I already got 2.6.13.4 emerged (vanilla-sources) so I will work on i
tomorrow evening.
I am not a seasoned Linux user, but I know and understand what you
described. So it should be ok for me to do.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net>:

> I already got 2.6.13.4 emerged (vanilla-sources) so I will work on i

I am still building but it seems the errno problem has been fixed in 2.6.13.4 ...

jim
Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net>:
> I already got 2.6.13.4 emerged (vanilla-sources) so I will work on i
> tomorrow evening.

This is about building a kernel for sunblade 100 but remember I am not on
gentoo, and am building upstream sources.

Maybe your build system takes care of all this stuff for you?

The main thing is that a .config is not needed, as it is generated from the
supplied sources and adapts itself to the build platform. It is OK for sunblade
100 "out of the box" subject to the following changes. Following updates and
corrects previous posts done from memory

In the end I got 2 errors.

drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c:41: error: static declaration of 'errno'
follows non-static declaration
include/linux/unistd.h:4: error: previous declaration of 'errno' was here

and the "patch" actually just edit the file to remove that line:

drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c
-static int errno;
+//static int errno;

Did same for drivers/sbus/char/bbc_envctrl.c

That is quite useless except to quickly continue the building. The end result is
a warning about those two modules during make modules_install.

WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.ko needs unknow
n symbol errno
WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/bbc.ko needs unknown sy
mbol errno

I will look for a bug upstream and file one if needed, meanwhile maybe it is
better for you to configure to avoid building those modules. Or maybe gentoo
handles this for you already.

If you have to do this next step make sure you do not overwrite anything!
make install did not work. I just renamed them vmlinux-2.6.13.4 and
System.map-2.6.13.4 and copied .config to config-2.6.13.4 and then copied those
into /boot.

and ran yaird from /boot
yaird --verbose --output=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.13.4 2.6.13.4

the i edit /boot/silo.conf by adding
image=/vmlinux-2.6.13.4
label=mylinux
initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.13.4

jim

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]

> Quoting freshy98 <freshy98@gmx.net>:
> > I already got 2.6.13.4 emerged (vanilla-sources) so I will work on i
> > tomorrow evening.
>
> This is about building a kernel for sunblade 100 but remember I am not on
> gentoo, and am building upstream sources.
>
> Maybe your build system takes care of all this stuff for you?

AFAIK the vanilla-sources ebuild are the plain sources fetched from
kernel.org without any "gentoo patches" added. That is done in/for the
gentoo-sources ebuild.

> The main thing is that a .config is not needed, as it is generated from
> the
> supplied sources and adapts itself to the build platform. It is OK for
> sunblade
> 100 "out of the box" subject to the following changes. Following updates
> and
> corrects previous posts done from memory

I didn't know "make menuconfig" build a default config for the used/chosen
arch. I know there are def_config files which I use for MIPS for example.
Could this be a Debian thing? Anyway, I will find out tonight.

> In the end I got 2 errors.
>
> drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c:41: error: static declaration of 'errno'
> follows non-static declaration
> include/linux/unistd.h:4: error: previous declaration of 'errno' was here
>
> and the "patch" actually just edit the file to remove that line:
>
> drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c
> -static int errno;
> +//static int errno;
>
> Did same for drivers/sbus/char/bbc_envctrl.c
>
> That is quite useless except to quickly continue the building. The end
> result is
> a warning about those two modules during make modules_install.
>
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.ko needs
> unknow
> n symbol errno
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/bbc.ko needs
> unknown sy
> mbol errno
>
> I will look for a bug upstream and file one if needed, meanwhile maybe it
> is
> better for you to configure to avoid building those modules. Or maybe
> gentoo
> handles this for you already.

What I do not understand is why you include SBUS stuff at all? The Blade 100
is PCI based and has no SBUS components?

> If you have to do this next step make sure you do not overwrite anything!
> make install did not work. I just renamed them vmlinux-2.6.13.4 and
> System.map-2.6.13.4 and copied .config to config-2.6.13.4 and then copied
> those
> into /boot.
>
> and ran yaird from /boot
> yaird --verbose --output=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.13.4 2.6.13.4
>
> the i edit /boot/silo.conf by adding
> image=/vmlinux-2.6.13.4
> label=mylinux
> initrd=/initrd.img-2.6.13.4

Never heard of yiard, but the Gentoo way seems fine to me.
After "make" we do "make image" to trim the vmlinux down to a more normal
size, then copy arch/sparc64/boot/image (could be /arc/sparc/sparc64/boot/,
but it has been a while since I compiled a kernel for sparc) to /boot. Same
goes for System.map and .config. All using version numbers and a symlink for
to System.map from System.map-version.
This is all described in the manual.

> jim

Tom

Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
jim@amarooas.com.au wrote:

> This is about building a kernel for sunblade 100 but remember I am not on
> gentoo, and am building upstream sources.
>
> Maybe your build system takes care of all this stuff for you?

The "build system" used for source trees used in portage primarily handles
unpacking, patching, and installing to /usr/src. After that, it's up to the
user to build the kernel themselves. We have an optional utility, genkernel,
for automating the kernel build system, but it's more commonly found in the
x86-side of things, and more used for building release media.

> The main thing is that a .config is not needed, as it is generated from the
> supplied sources and adapts itself to the build platform. It is OK for sunblade
> 100 "out of the box" subject to the following changes. Following updates and
> corrects previous posts done from memory

The .config file is actually generated by menuconfig after it runs. It
shouldn't exist in a properly cleaned tree (i.e., make mrproper). It's
generally created from the defconfig files that (iirc) are found in the
arch/<arch> directory under the kernel tree when the user selects it.

> In the end I got 2 errors.
>
> drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c:41: error: static declaration of 'errno'
> follows non-static declaration
> include/linux/unistd.h:4: error: previous declaration of 'errno' was here
>
> and the "patch" actually just edit the file to remove that line:
>
> drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c
> -static int errno;
> +//static int errno;
>
> Did same for drivers/sbus/char/bbc_envctrl.c
>
> That is quite useless except to quickly continue the building. The end result is
> a warning about those two modules during make modules_install.
>
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.ko needs unknow
> n symbol errno
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.13.4/kernel/drivers/sbus/char/bbc.ko needs unknown sy
> mbol errno

It sounds like drivers/sbus/char/envctrl.c needs a uniquely-named errno
variable, or someone should check to see if the one imported from unistd.h is
usable in that context.

After for the symbol references, EXPORT_SYMBOL usually fixes those, but I do not
believe it is applicable for variables.

> If you have to do this next step make sure you do not overwrite anything!
> make install did not work. I just renamed them vmlinux-2.6.13.4 and
> System.map-2.6.13.4 and copied .config to config-2.6.13.4 and then copied those
> into /boot.

2.6 kernels can have the config built in and visible as /proc/config.gz. Also,
you do use `make image` and not `make vmlinux` for sparc64 kernels, right?

> and ran yaird from /boot
> yaird --verbose --output=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.13.4 2.6.13.4

Initrd's are becoming somewhat deprecated by initramfs. There are a number of
ways to build/use this, though, so it can be a little bit trickier than an initrd.

--Kumba

--
Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees

"Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
Quoting Kumba <kumba@gentoo.org>:
> you do use `make image` and not `make vmlinux` for sparc64 kernels, right?

oops, i just did what the "README" and "make menuconfig" both said to do, that
was just "make".

So now i did "make image" and there are no errors, as those bad modules are not
built, although the same config is used.

hmmm...it ends like this:
kernel: arch/sparc64/boot/image is ready

thanks for the explanations!

jim
Re: Kernel 2.6.x config for SUN Blade 100 [ In reply to ]
I made a 2.6.14 kernel last friday night.
It built without problems (2.6.13.4 had the ati problems, 2.6.14 built
fine on this).

Now I need to set OBP correctly to boot from the SCSI drive.
Thought I had it set up ok, but appearently not :-(
Will check it out when I can.

Tom