If it's working for everyone, it's a bit cleaner for us to standardize
on -r6 instead of -r4, we can bury for good a couple bugs, and so on.

Comments, complaints, problems actively solicited.
Regards,
Ferris
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@gentoo.org>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)
Re: xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 stable for sparc? [ In reply to ]
Hello Ferris,

Since I am not a developer I will reply to you in private.

When I have my Blade 100 installed I will try out this X11.org version using
the onboard ATI RageXL card.

I just need to get a kernel config first, but I will ask that in the
mailinglist it self.

Regards,

Tom Weustink

Re: xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 stable for sparc? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:51 +0200, freshy98 wrote:
> Hello Ferris,
>
> Since I am not a developer I will reply to you in private.

Actually, please reply on list. This is the general sparc list, not a
developers' list. :)

> When I have my Blade 100 installed I will try out this X11.org version using
> the onboard ATI RageXL card.
>
> I just need to get a kernel config first, but I will ask that in the
> mailinglist it self.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom Weustink

Regards,
Ferris
Re: xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 stable for sparc? [ In reply to ]
Initially I thought this worked great, but I've run into a snag.

Leaving my xorg.conf configured like it was initially (-r4, kernel 2.4),
I can't seem to VT-switch away from X. The ability to switch is, as far
as I can tell, simply gone.

Unless there's something that should have changed in xorg.conf in
regards to the keyboard driver with the new -r6 version, I'm stumped as
to what happened here.

FWIW, this is on an SMP U60, type 5 serial keyboard.

chance

Re: xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 stable for sparc? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 01:03 -0500, Chance Platt wrote:
> Initially I thought this worked great, but I've run into a snag.
>
> Leaving my xorg.conf configured like it was initially (-r4, kernel 2.4),
> I can't seem to VT-switch away from X. The ability to switch is, as far
> as I can tell, simply gone.
>
> Unless there's something that should have changed in xorg.conf in
> regards to the keyboard driver with the new -r6 version, I'm stumped as
> to what happened here.

Not that I know of, and this seems to be the case for me, too. Please
file a bug to this effect, assign it to x11@gentoo.org, and please put
me on the CC: list.

> FWIW, this is on an SMP U60, type 5 serial keyboard.
>
> chance
>

> Ferris McCormick wrote:
>
> >Are there reasons why this release should not go stable for sparc? I
> >don't see any problems reported against it, and I haven't heard of any
> >sparc problems with it (although, of course, it might be that no one but
> >me is running it anywhere).
> >
> >There is no urgency except for bookkeeping reasons, but this release
> >does end once and for all the confusion about what keyboard driver to
> >use for sparc, requires no hand patching to fix up sunffb, and so on.
> >If it's working for everyone, it's a bit cleaner for us to standardize
> >on -r6 instead of -r4, we can bury for good a couple bugs, and so on.
> >
> >Comments, complaints, problems actively solicited.
> >Regards,
> >Ferris

Regards,
Ferris