Mailing List Archive

requesting setup help
I'm hoping to eventually (somewhat soon) pitch in on dual sparc32 2.6 work.

In the meantime, I'm working on settling in UP 2.6 on my dual ss20 ross box.

Running 2.6.12-rc4 seems stable from serial console or ssh,
but I'd like to clean up some basic items before I dig into trying
to help with SMP.

First oddity that I'm fighting is the attached keyboard is not mapped
correctly
at boot under 2.6, though worked fine under 2.4.30 SMP. I've
tried switching KEYMAP in /etc/rc.conf to
KEYMAP="sunt5-us-cz"
but that does not help. I've tried compiling the sun keyboard as both a
module and integral to the kernel unsuccessfully. Note this is not under X.
Just simple kernel/console configuration. I am recompiling xorg from
scratch
under 2.6 in order to pick up any kernel anomalies there, but that will take
a couple of days to compile. When it is finished I can try it's
keyboard setup
to see if it works better than straight console.

Second oddity is that netdate is not working because its sending out bad
or missing CRC checksums in the UDP packets. I have most checksums, etc.
turned off in the kernel to minimize the kernel size. Do I need to turn
something
in particular on in the kernel in order to get the sparcstation 20 box
to send
out properly checksummed UDPs?

Thanks,
Heitzso

Re: requesting setup help [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:15:04 -0400
Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com> wrote:

> First oddity that I'm fighting is the attached keyboard is not mapped
> correctly
> at boot under 2.6, though worked fine under 2.4.30 SMP. I've
> tried switching KEYMAP in /etc/rc.conf to
> KEYMAP="sunt5-us-cz"
> but that does not help. I've tried compiling the sun keyboard as both a
> module and integral to the kernel unsuccessfully. Note this is not
> under X. Just simple kernel/console configuration. I am recompiling
> xorg from scratch
> under 2.6 in order to pick up any kernel anomalies there, but that will
> take a couple of days to compile. When it is finished I can try it's
> keyboard setup
> to see if it works better than straight console.

In 2.6, the kernel now interprets all keyboards from all architectures
using x86 style keymaps. If you either change the KEYMAP type to
"us" or command out the KEYMAP line, this should fix your problem.

> Second oddity is that netdate is not working because its sending out bad
> or missing CRC checksums in the UDP packets. I have most checksums,
> etc. turned off in the kernel to minimize the kernel size. Do I need to
> turn something
> in particular on in the kernel in order to get the sparcstation 20 box
> to send
> out properly checksummed UDPs?

This may be a bug. An issue like this came up recently in #gentoo-sparc
on IRC and it wasn't conclusive what the problem was as it wasn't always
able to be reproduced. The initial theory is that it has something to
do with SBUS based network controllers (though only sunhme was actually
tested) in the later 2.6 kernels.

Jason Wever
Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead
Re: requesting setup help [ In reply to ]
Heitzso wrote:
> Second oddity is that netdate is not working because its sending out bad
> or missing CRC checksums in the UDP packets. I have most checksums, etc.
> turned off in the kernel to minimize the kernel size. Do I need to turn
> something
> in particular on in the kernel in order to get the sparcstation 20 box
> to send
> out properly checksummed UDPs?

What network card are you using? A few other people have seen a similar problem.
IIRC, we narrowed it down to sbus hme in 2.6.x, although, we didn't test lance.

Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
Re: requesting setup help [ In reply to ]
>>Second oddity is that netdate is not working because its sending out bad
>>or missing CRC checksums in the UDP packets. I have most checksums, etc.
>>turned off in the kernel to minimize the kernel size. Do I need to turn
>>something
>>in particular on in the kernel in order to get the sparcstation 20 box
>>to send
>>out properly checksummed UDPs?
>>

>What network card are you using? A few other people have seen a similar problem.
>IIRC, we narrowed it down to sbus hme in 2.6.x, although, we didn't test lance.

That is my combination -- sbus/hme and 2.6.x

I could test with lance if that is useful. Shouldn't be hard to setup and
run the test if that information yields something useful.

I could also fall back to 2.4 and test there, again if the data from the
test would be useful.

Assuming problem shows 2.6/hme but not 2.4/hme then it is
a problem in 2.6 hme driver (?) or how the 2.6 hme driver
interacts with other supporting 2.6 kernel code.

I could poke around in there (2.6 hme module code) if that's useful.

Heitzso
Re: requesting setup help [ In reply to ]
Jason Wever wrote:

>On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:15:04 -0400
>Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com> wrote:
>

>>First oddity that I'm fighting is the attached keyboard is not mapped
>>correctly
>>at boot under 2.6, though worked fine under 2.4.30 SMP. I've
>>tried switching KEYMAP in /etc/rc.conf to
>> KEYMAP="sunt5-us-cz"
>>but that does not help. I've tried compiling the sun keyboard as both a
>>module and integral to the kernel unsuccessfully. Note this is not
>>under X. Just simple kernel/console configuration. I am recompiling
>>xorg from scratch
>>under 2.6 in order to pick up any kernel anomalies there, but that will
>>take a couple of days to compile. When it is finished I can try it's
>>keyboard setup
>>to see if it works better than straight console.
>>

>In 2.6, the kernel now interprets all keyboards from all architectures
>using x86 style keymaps. If you either change the KEYMAP type to
>"us" or command out the KEYMAP line, this should fix your problem.

Thanks. Set to "us" and that fixed it. Did I miss this in the
gentoo sparc quick install doc or the handbook? If it isn't
there I'll be glad to write up a couple of lines for insertion
if that would be useful to help others as people migrate start
migrating over to 2.6 series kernels.

>>Second oddity is that netdate is not working because its sending out bad
>>or missing CRC checksums in the UDP packets. I have most checksums,
>>etc. turned off in the kernel to minimize the kernel size. Do I need to
>>turn something
>>in particular on in the kernel in order to get the sparcstation 20 box
>>to send
>>out properly checksummed UDPs?
>>

>This may be a bug. An issue like this came up recently in #gentoo-sparc
>on IRC and it wasn't conclusive what the problem was as it wasn't always
>able to be reproduced. The initial theory is that it has something to
>do with SBUS based network controllers (though only sunhme was actually
>tested) in the later 2.6 kernels.

Responding to another email on this, offering to test variations
to help narrow down or start digging in the code.

Re: requesting setup help [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:13:44 -0400
Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Set to "us" and that fixed it. Did I miss this in the
> gentoo sparc quick install doc or the handbook? If it isn't
> there I'll be glad to write up a couple of lines for insertion
> if that would be useful to help others as people migrate start
> migrating over to 2.6 series kernels.

We haven't put it in the install documentation yet as we haven't felt
comfortable enough with the stability 2.6 series on sparc and sparc64 to
suggest it to most users.

However, it is referenced in Ciaran McCreesh's "2.6.x Kernels on
Gentoo/Sparc HOWTO" at http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/docs/sparc-2.6.x/

Jason Wever
Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead
Re: requesting setup help [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:07:17 -0400
Heitzso <heitzso@growthmodels.com> wrote:

> I could test with lance if that is useful. Shouldn't be hard to setup
> and run the test if that information yields something useful.

No testing has been done with sunlance so far, so feel free.

> Assuming problem shows 2.6/hme but not 2.4/hme then it is
> a problem in 2.6 hme driver (?) or how the 2.6 hme driver
> interacts with other supporting 2.6 kernel code.

The problem appears to be related to 2.6 only (tested using 2.4.30 on an
SMP Ultra 2 and it worked no problem). Not exactly where in 2.6 this
started but we have one report of 2.6.5 working as expected (so presumably
sometime after that).

Jason Wever
Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead
Re: requesting setup help [ In reply to ]

>>Assuming problem shows 2.6/hme but not 2.4/hme then it is
>>a problem in 2.6 hme driver (?) or how the 2.6 hme driver
>>interacts with other supporting 2.6 kernel code.
>>

>The problem appears to be related to 2.6 only (tested using 2.4.30 on an
>SMP Ultra 2 and it worked no problem). Not exactly where in 2.6 this
>started but we have one report of 2.6.5 working as expected (so presumably
>sometime after that).

In the "silly question" category, does anyone keep a CVS
tree of the kernel that I could log/diff to track the changes to
this file? I know that git is now being used, but does the
current git tree track all changes to the *hme* files?

Thanks