system hanging and only responding to pings, which was discusses earlier
this week on this list.

Philip
Re: Rebooting an E4500 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Philip Leonard wrote:

> I have an E4500 that boots just fine from powerup but when I try to do a
> 'shutdown -r now' or 'reboot' from Gentoo it always tries to boot from the
> network. I have boot-command and boot-device set properly in openboot but
> the 'reboot' seems to ignore this. I have tried the "fix" on the
> ultralinux.org site (http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_5_39) for this but
> my openboot PROM doesn't have a sunmon-compat variable. I want to implement
> a scheduled reboot to get around the problem of the system hanging and only
> responding to pings, which was discusses earlier this week on this list.

Do you have "diag-switch?" set to true or false? If it's set to true,
then it'll boot from "diag-device" rather than "boot-device". either turn
diag-switch? to false, or set the diag-device to what you want it to boot
from.

Skunky
Re: Rebooting an E4500 [ In reply to ]
>> I have an E4500 that boots just fine from powerup but when I try to do
>> a 'shutdown -r now' or 'reboot' from Gentoo it always tries to boot
>> from the network. I have boot-command and boot-device set properly in
>> openboot but the 'reboot' seems to ignore this. I have tried the
>> "fix" on the ultralinux.org site
>> (http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_5_39) for this but my openboot
>> PROM doesn't have a sunmon-compat variable. I want to implement a
>> scheduled reboot to get around the problem of the system hanging and
>> only responding to pings, which was discusses earlier this week on
>> this list.

> Do you have "diag-switch?" set to true or false? If it's set to true,
> then it'll boot from "diag-device" rather than "boot-device". either
> turn diag-switch? to false, or set the diag-device to what you want it
> to boot from.

'diag-switch?" is set to false

Philip
Re: Rebooting an E4500 [ In reply to ]
Is the physical switch or key set to "On" rather than "Diag"? The
physical switch will override the OPENPROM setting. You may need to
decode the icons. I think Diag mode is an open-ended wrench.

-Paul

Re: Rebooting an E4500 [ In reply to ]
The switch is in the "On" position. Same thing happens in the "Locked"
position. The sequence is "Off", "On", "Diag", "Locked".

Re: [SOLVED] Rebooting an E4500 [ In reply to ]
Philip Leonard wrote:
>>> I have an E4500 that boots just fine from powerup but when I try to
>>> do a 'shutdown -r now' or 'reboot' from Gentoo it always tries to
>>> boot from the network. I have boot-command and boot-device set
>>> properly in openboot but the 'reboot' seems to ignore this. I have
>>> tried the "fix" on the ultralinux.org site
>>> (http://www.ultralinux.org/faq.html#q_5_39) for this but my openboot
>>> PROM doesn't have a sunmon-compat variable. I want to implement a
>>> scheduled reboot to get around the problem of the system hanging and
>>> only responding to pings, which was discusses earlier this week on
>>> this list.

>> Do you have "diag-switch?" set to true or false? If it's set to true,
>> then it'll boot from "diag-device" rather than "boot-device". either
>> turn diag-switch? to false, or set the diag-device to what you want it
>> to boot from.

> 'diag-switch?" is set to false

Even though I had 'diag-switch?" set to false I went ahead and changed
'diag-device' to be the same as 'boot-device' and now a reboot works as
expected (or at least as I wanted). So the "fix" is to set both
'boot-device' and 'diag-device' to the same device or device alias.

Thank you to everyone for helping.

Philip