I'd like to install Gentoo on an empty 25GB slice (s7) on a Blade 100. I want to dual boot Gentoo and Solaris 10 (Solaris is already installed). s0-s6 are in use by Solaris: s0 /, s1 swap, s2 "backup" or "whole disk", s3 /tmp, s4 /opt, s5 /export/home, s6 /opt. The 25GB slice (s7) is the only remaining slice, so I'd like to use the existing swap slice (s1) for both Gentoo and Solaris. Does anyone know if that will work? (And maybe also use s3 for /tmp for both Gentoo and Solaris?)

If that won't work, I have an old HD that I could install for swap but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

-- TT

Re: reuse Solaris swap slice for Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Under Gentoo, you can use the command swapon,

if its an ide drive swapon /dev/hda2

scsi drive : swapon /dev/sda2

;)

Re: reuse Solaris swap slice for Gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 08:54:57AM +0200, Romain wrote:
> Under Gentoo, you can use the command swapon,
>
> if its an ide drive swapon /dev/hda2
>
> scsi drive : swapon /dev/sda2

well that is only the half truth,
linux relies on preformated swap devices,
so you have to issue (for example)

mkswap /dev/sda2

you could make some sort of boot script like
(simplyfied)
(i would not put /dev/sda2 in fstab because it
will fail if the swap device is not formated)

mkswap /dev/sda2
swapon /dev/sda2

anyhow, I don't know if solaris uses the,
swap device raw, or preformated.
If it uses the device raw, then you just need,
the script for linux und leave the solaris settings
as they are. If it is preformated, you will have
to preformat it before solaris tries to use it.

regards klaus