appreciated.

Best,
alden
Re: ibook PCMCIA [ In reply to ]
Alden Huang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was just curious if anyone had experience using their ibook (dual-usb
> model) with a pcmcia wifi card that is not a lucent orinoco/airport. I
> have a card which fits neatly (without having to do anything ridiculous
> with a dremel =), but I just can't seem to get it to even detect.
>
> I really have no experience with anything PCMCIA on linux, and I cant
> even get the computer to show that something is there and plugged
> in....although I'm sure its a card supported; it's just a re-badged prism2.
>
> Although the LEDS on the card light up when I plug it in, cardctl
> returns no socket() or something like that...nothing shows up under the
> boot cd loading with the dopcmcia option either.
>
> Am I missing something just obvious and stupid? any help would be
> appreciated.
>

> Best,
> alden

Airport (carried in the Pismo, iBook G3 and TiBook) is basically a
cut-down PC Card slot. There's just enough logic to get Airport and
similar PC Cards running. Prism2 isn't an Orinoco, so of course the
system won't know what to do with it. Trying to use a PC Card in this
slot might have worked on the Pismo or TiBook, but since the iBooks
don't possess a full-fledged PC Card controller, you're completely screwed.

PowerPC Airport Extreme is a similar setup, only it's MiniPCI and uses
Broadcom chipsets. In both cases, it's a cost reduction measure.

Sorry to disappoint you.
--michi

Re: ibook PCMCIA [ In reply to ]
Yeah, i kind of figured as much after a little while...

"/Am I missing something just obvious and stupid?/" Yes.

Thanks for your help, though, nonetheless =)

~alden