Mailing List Archive

Xorg + DRI on G3?
Ive used Gentoo for years but never on PPC.

Im trying to get X up and running on an old G3 (B&W) Mac.

I have agp and drm enabled in the kernel:

$ dmesg | grep agp
Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones

$ dmesg | grep drm
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] Initialized r128 2.5.0 20030725 on minor 0

I have built the X server and all libs with dri enabled.

I have tried three ways to configure: first using xorgconfig; then with an
xorg.conf from when this machine ran FC6; and finally with Xorgautoconfig.

None of these has given me a working config.

Here's what I see when I run X:

$ startx
xauth: creating new authority file /home/ajai/.serverauth.3527

X Window System Version 7.2.0
Release Date: 22 January 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.20-gentoo-r5 ppc
Current Operating System: Linux eskimo 2.6.20-gentoo-r5 #3 Tue May 8
17:05:27 EDT 2007 ppc
Build Date: 22 May 2007
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 27 15:25:37 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(WW) ****INVALID IO ALLOCATION**** b: 0xfe002000 e: 0xfe0020ff correcting
(EE) end of block range 0xfdffffff < begin 0xfe000000

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Not sure why it says it can't find any fonts, but Im more concerned with
the "end of block range" error.

Re: Xorg + DRI on G3? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 27 May 2007 14:41:38 A. Khattri wrote:
> Ive used Gentoo for years but never on PPC.
>
> Im trying to get X up and running on an old G3 (B&W) Mac.
>
> I have agp and drm enabled in the kernel:
>
> $ dmesg | grep agp
> Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
>
> $ dmesg | grep drm
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [drm] Initialized r128 2.5.0 20030725 on minor 0
>
> I have built the X server and all libs with dri enabled.
>
> I have tried three ways to configure: first using xorgconfig; then with an
> xorg.conf from when this machine ran FC6; and finally with Xorgautoconfig.
>
> None of these has given me a working config.
>
> Here's what I see when I run X:
>
> $ startx
> xauth: creating new authority file /home/ajai/.serverauth.3527
>
> X Window System Version 7.2.0
> Release Date: 22 January 2007
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.20-gentoo-r5 ppc
> Current Operating System: Linux eskimo 2.6.20-gentoo-r5 #3 Tue May 8
> 17:05:27 EDT 2007 ppc
> Build Date: 22 May 2007
> Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>
> (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 27 15:25:37 2007
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (WW) ****INVALID IO ALLOCATION**** b: 0xfe002000 e: 0xfe0020ff correcting
> (EE) end of block range 0xfdffffff < begin 0xfe000000
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
> XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
> after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>

> Not sure why it says it can't find any fonts, but Im more concerned with
> the "end of block range" error.

The end of block range error is trivial and happens on most ppc macs. The
real problem is the XIO error. That usually happens when there is no driver
in the kernel for your video card, the driver is misconfigured, or the wrong
driver is used in xorg.conf. If the driver is fine, I would suggest trying
the following options in xorg.conf:

*Confirm that the driver name is correct
*Use DefaultDepth max of 16, you might try less
*Try lower resolutions ie 800x600 instead of 1024x768
*You might try turning drm off entirely

Good luck

Re: Xorg + DRI on G3? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 28 May 2007, David Gurvich wrote:

> The end of block range error is trivial and happens on most ppc macs. The
> real problem is the XIO error. That usually happens when there is no driver
> in the kernel for your video card, the driver is misconfigured, or the wrong
> driver is used in xorg.conf. If the driver is fine, I would suggest trying
> the following options in xorg.conf:
>
> *Confirm that the driver name is correct
> *Use DefaultDepth max of 16, you might try less
> *Try lower resolutions ie 800x600 instead of 1024x768
> *You might try turning drm off entirely

Yes, the driver was the problem after all.

I have the basic stuff working now and wanted to report back here.

It turns out that I had "Apple UniNorth & U3 AGP support" configured as a
MODULE instead of built-in. Loading the module manually and running X got
the basic stuff working.

After more tweaking I now have 24bit color running at 1600x1200 ;-)