Mailing List Archive

Mac disk partitions
Im installing Gentoo on an old B&W G3 Mac which had another distro on it.

According to mac-fdisk it appears to already have a boot partition on it.
So can I skip the creation of a boot partition and use the existing one?

Command (? for help): p
/dev/sda
# type name length base ( size ) system
/dev/sda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 ( 31.5k) Partition map
/dev/sda2 Apple_Bootstrap untitled 2048 @ 64 ( 1.0M) NewWorld bootblock
/dev/sda3 Apple_Free Extra 17847888 @ 2112 ( 8.5G) Free space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=17850000
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1: @ 64 for 23, type=0x1
2: @ 118 for 36, type=0xffff

(Yes, this Mac has SCSI disks ;-)

Re: Mac disk partitions [ In reply to ]
Hi

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 03:36:29PM -0400, A. Khattri wrote:
> According to mac-fdisk it appears to already have a boot partition on it.
> So can I skip the creation of a boot partition and use the existing one?

> /dev/sda2 Apple_Bootstrap untitled 2048 @ 64 ( 1.0M) NewWorld bootblock

This is the 800k bootstrap partition, used by yaboot alone (at least
within Linux) and not to be formatted or mounted anywhere. On PowerPC
machines, you shouldn't create a /boot partition. Read the docs, please.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/
Re: Mac disk partitions [ In reply to ]
On Monday 30 April 2007 15:36:29 A. Khattri wrote:
> Im installing Gentoo on an old B&W G3 Mac which had another distro on it.
>
> According to mac-fdisk it appears to already have a boot partition on it.
> So can I skip the creation of a boot partition and use the existing one?
>
> Command (? for help): p
> /dev/sda
> # type name length base (
> size ) system /dev/sda1 Apple_partition_map Apple
> 63 @ 1 ( 31.5k) Partition map /dev/sda2 Apple_Bootstrap
> untitled 2048 @ 64 ( 1.0M) NewWorld bootblock
> /dev/sda3 Apple_Free Extra 17847888 @ 2112 (
> 8.5G) Free space
>
> Block size=512, Number of Blocks=17850000
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
> Drivers-
> 1: @ 64 for 23, type=0x1
> 2: @ 118 for 36, type=0xffff
>

> (Yes, this Mac has SCSI disks ;-)

Quick answer is yes. Only problem is the system is somewhat limited to be
compiling everything. That will take forever. I would suggest using a build
system for the packages or using a distro with the packages compiled
already.

David
Re: Mac disk partitions [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Michael Hanselmann wrote:

> This is the 800k bootstrap partition, used by yaboot alone (at least
> within Linux) and not to be formatted or mounted anywhere. On PowerPC
> machines, you shouldn't create a /boot partition. Read the docs, please.

I figured it out but you really should go back and re-read my post. I did
not mention /boot anywhere and YES I DID read the docs so maybe you could
be a little less insulting next time?

From
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap3:

"Second, create an Apple_Bootstrap partition by using b. It will ask for
what block you want to start. Enter the number of your first free
partition, followed by a p. For instance this is 2p."

I already had what looked like a boot partition but I was asking here to
make sure I was doing the right thing by ignoring what the docs say in
my particular situation (which, as I mentioned, was a machine which
already had another distro on it).

Sheesh.

Re: Mac disk partitions [ In reply to ]
Hi!,

I've lost your first message so I don't know your specs but here is my
experience:
1) the bootstrap partition can be used by more than one distro, you
should place the various distro info in the yaboot.conf before running
ybin (it only has the binaries to make the booting process);
2) I have always used a /boot partition in PPC, either OldWorld and
NewWorld but formatted as ext2 as yaboot cannot read ext3 (at least on
the version I have);
3) The several kernels, initrd and System.map for every distribution
should be in /boot so it is better if you make it larger than usual;
you choose the distro by specifying the root partition and other
options (as listed in your yaboot.conf); in that root you will
designate the various partitions (specific for each distro or shared
by the distros)
4) copy the yaboot.conf to /boot everytime you run ybin to help you
share the boot conf.

Hope it helps.
bye!
G.

2007/6/6, A. Khattri <ajai@bway.net>:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Michael Hanselmann wrote:
>
> > This is the 800k bootstrap partition, used by yaboot alone (at least
> > within Linux) and not to be formatted or mounted anywhere. On PowerPC
> > machines, you shouldn't create a /boot partition. Read the docs, please.
>
> I figured it out but you really should go back and re-read my post. I did
> not mention /boot anywhere and YES I DID read the docs so maybe you could
> be a little less insulting next time?
>

> From
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap3:
>
> "Second, create an Apple_Bootstrap partition by using b. It will ask for
> what block you want to start. Enter the number of your first free
> partition, followed by a p. For instance this is 2p."
>

> I already had what looked like a boot partition but I was asking here to
> make sure I was doing the right thing by ignoring what the docs say in
> my particular situation (which, as I mentioned, was a machine which
> already had another distro on it).
>

> Sheesh.

abraxos,
Gerardo BV. Lisboa