Mailing List Archive

Soundcard disable nic?
Well, I had hoped to start using the G5 as my main desktop. Towards those ends
I purchased an M-audio Revolution 5.1 soundcard, as it is listed as supported
under both OS X and Linux, and the onboard sound cannot handle my 5.1 speaker
system. I physically installed the card, fired up OS X, installed the
drivers, rebooted and tested. It works fine (as does networking).

I then boot up Gentoo to test it there. My initscripts start throwing errors
along the lines of "device eth0 does not exist". Networking fails. Indeed,
when I try "ifconfig eth0 up" it gives the same error: "eth0 does not exist,
confirm hardware and/or drivers".

Well, here's my dmesg:

# dmesg | grep eth0
eth0: Sun GEM (PCI) 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet 00:0a:95:8f:4c:50
eth0: Found BCM5421-K2 PHY
eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex

# grep /usr/src/linux/.config SUNGEM
CONFIG_SUNGEM=y

# lspci | grep Ethernet
<nothing>

So where did the nic go? Could this be a conflict with the new soundcard? The
nic is just the regular onboard that comes with the G5. Here is the lspci
output for the soundcard:

0001:06:03.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
[Envy24 PT/HT] PCI Multichannel Audio Controller.

Of course, the bloody soundcard doesn't seem to work either, but that's an
issue for after I get networking back.

Any ideas here? I can post output of other commands if you think it will help
(though I have to copy by hand because of the no-networking deal).

Thanks for consideration,
-d