Mailing List Archive

xorg not working.
Yeah well, me again. Seems I'm the only one having trouble with PPC these
days.

I got Xorg 7.1, fluxbox, and KDE installed. After creating an xorg.conf with
Xorgautoconfig I quickly realized I indeed had the problem hinted at re: VGA
BIOS. So I ~ppc64 keyworded xf86-video-ati and emerged version 6.6.3 which
applies the patch that was also hinted at. The results are identical however.
X starts and is running, as is fluxbox, but there is nothing on my screen.
The only difference is that this time the power LED on my montor goes out
when I start X, whereas before it stayed on.

Also, there is a difference in Xorg.0.log: X now seems to think that I have a
second CRT monitor attached!?

(II) RADEON(0): Primary:
Monitor -- TMDS
Connector -- DVI-D
DAC Type -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
TMDS Type -- Internal
DDC Type -- DVI_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
Monitor -- CRT
Connector -- VGA
DAC Type -- Primary
TMDS Type -- External
DDC Type -- VGA_DDC

I have tried with the default xorg.conf that was generated, and I tried all
manner of tweaks that I gleamed from gentoo-wiki, "man xorg.conf", and "man
radeon". I have tried commenting and uncommenting individual "Options" from
xorg.conf but the result is always the same.

I have tried dropping down to 16 bit color depth and down to 1600x1024
resolution, with no joy.

Can anyone even confirm that they have gotten an 23" cinema display and a
radeon 9600 to work with Xorg? I would _really_ love to see your xorg.conf if
you have.

I don't know what else to say. There are no errors in my log (though there are
some warnings). If you want/need further information just let me know...

I have posted the log and my current conf file in my webspace:
http://badcomputer.org/xorg.conf.txt
http://badcomputer.org/xorg.log.txt

xorg-x11-7.1
mesa-6.5-r3
xf86-video-ati-6.6.3

PowerMac G5 2x 2.0GHz
Ati Radeon 9600
23" Apple Cinema Display

I would appreciate any ideas.

-d
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
darren kirby wrote:
> Yeah well, me again. Seems I'm the only one having trouble with PPC these
> days.
>
> I got Xorg 7.1, fluxbox, and KDE installed. After creating an xorg.conf with
> Xorgautoconfig I quickly realized I indeed had the problem hinted at re: VGA
> BIOS. So I ~ppc64 keyworded xf86-video-ati and emerged version 6.6.3 which
> applies the patch that was also hinted at. The results are identical however.
> X starts and is running, as is fluxbox, but there is nothing on my screen.
> The only difference is that this time the power LED on my montor goes out
> when I start X, whereas before it stayed on.
>
> Also, there is a difference in Xorg.0.log: X now seems to think that I have a
> second CRT monitor attached!?
>
> (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
> Monitor -- TMDS
> Connector -- DVI-D
> DAC Type -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
> TMDS Type -- Internal
> DDC Type -- DVI_DDC
> (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
> Monitor -- CRT
> Connector -- VGA
> DAC Type -- Primary
> TMDS Type -- External
> DDC Type -- VGA_DDC
>
> I have tried with the default xorg.conf that was generated, and I tried all
> manner of tweaks that I gleamed from gentoo-wiki, "man xorg.conf", and "man
> radeon". I have tried commenting and uncommenting individual "Options" from
> xorg.conf but the result is always the same.
>
> I have tried dropping down to 16 bit color depth and down to 1600x1024
> resolution, with no joy.
>
> Can anyone even confirm that they have gotten an 23" cinema display and a
> radeon 9600 to work with Xorg? I would _really_ love to see your xorg.conf if
> you have.
>
> I don't know what else to say. There are no errors in my log (though there are
> some warnings). If you want/need further information just let me know...
>
> I have posted the log and my current conf file in my webspace:
> http://badcomputer.org/xorg.conf.txt
> http://badcomputer.org/xorg.log.txt
>
> xorg-x11-7.1
> mesa-6.5-r3
> xf86-video-ati-6.6.3
>
> PowerMac G5 2x 2.0GHz
> Ati Radeon 9600
> 23" Apple Cinema Display
>
> I would appreciate any ideas.
>
> -d

Well, two suggestions here:

1. From the radeon man page:
Option "ReverseDDC" "boolean"
When BIOS connector informations aren't available, use this
option to reverse the mapping of the 2 main DDC ports. Use this
if the X serve obviously detects the wrong display for each
connector. This is typically needed on the Radeon 9600 cards
bundled with Apple G5s. The default is off.

2. Try adding
Option "MergedFB" "false"
It looks like it's detecting both heads, not monitors attached to
both heads.

If that doesn't work, please let us know. :)

-Joe
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
darren kirby wrote:
> Yeah well, me again. Seems I'm the only one having trouble with PPC these
> days.
>
> I got Xorg 7.1, fluxbox, and KDE installed. After creating an xorg.conf with
> Xorgautoconfig I quickly realized I indeed had the problem hinted at re: VGA
> BIOS. So I ~ppc64 keyworded xf86-video-ati and emerged version 6.6.3 which
> applies the patch that was also hinted at. The results are identical however.
> X starts and is running, as is fluxbox, but there is nothing on my screen.
> The only difference is that this time the power LED on my montor goes out
> when I start X, whereas before it stayed on.
>
> Also, there is a difference in Xorg.0.log: X now seems to think that I have a
> second CRT monitor attached!?
>
> (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
> Monitor -- TMDS
> Connector -- DVI-D
> DAC Type -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
> TMDS Type -- Internal
> DDC Type -- DVI_DDC
> (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
> Monitor -- CRT
> Connector -- VGA
> DAC Type -- Primary
> TMDS Type -- External
> DDC Type -- VGA_DDC
>
> I have tried with the default xorg.conf that was generated, and I tried all
> manner of tweaks that I gleamed from gentoo-wiki, "man xorg.conf", and "man
> radeon". I have tried commenting and uncommenting individual "Options" from
> xorg.conf but the result is always the same.
>
> I have tried dropping down to 16 bit color depth and down to 1600x1024
> resolution, with no joy.
>
> Can anyone even confirm that they have gotten an 23" cinema display and a
> radeon 9600 to work with Xorg? I would _really_ love to see your xorg.conf if
> you have.
>
> I don't know what else to say. There are no errors in my log (though there are
> some warnings). If you want/need further information just let me know...
>
> I have posted the log and my current conf file in my webspace:
> http://badcomputer.org/xorg.conf.txt
> http://badcomputer.org/xorg.log.txt
>
> xorg-x11-7.1
> mesa-6.5-r3
> xf86-video-ati-6.6.3
>
> PowerMac G5 2x 2.0GHz
> Ati Radeon 9600
> 23" Apple Cinema Display
>
> I would appreciate any ideas.
>
> -d

Try Xorgconfig auto will not work for my mac I have Dual 1.8 17 Studio
also check the video ram amount That has helped to get X running fine
every time

Good Luck
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
> Try Xorgconfig auto will not work for my mac I have Dual 1.8 17 Studio
> also check the video ram amount That has helped to get X running fine
> every time

Well, as the author of Xorgautoconfig, what was the problem? :) Can
you post the config generated from each so I can fix it?

-Joe
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
Joseph Jezak wrote:
>> Try Xorgconfig auto will not work for my mac I have Dual 1.8 17 Studio
>> also check the video ram amount That has helped to get X running fine
>> every time
>>

> Well, as the author of Xorgautoconfig, what was the problem? :) Can
> you post the config generated from each so I can fix it?
>
> -Joe

Joe I need to get yaboot working first but will send info I wish i
could tell you what the problem was I think it was with the ram amount
In the Xorgconfig I have to use card # Nvidia 349 Then X will run
I will look though my notes for now I am installing 6.1 no doubt i will
have pleaty of problems
In this order Yaboot ........ Then getting X to work
Thanks for the work to bring Xautoconfig I will try it later today
Louis

Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
quoth the Joseph Jezak:

Thanks for the reply,

> Well, two suggestions here:
>
> 1. From the radeon man page:
> Option "ReverseDDC" "boolean"
> When BIOS connector informations aren't available, use this
> option to reverse the mapping of the 2 main DDC ports. Use this
> if the X serve obviously detects the wrong display for each
> connector. This is typically needed on the Radeon 9600 cards
> bundled with Apple G5s. The default is off.
>
> 2. Try adding
> Option "MergedFB" "false"
> It looks like it's detecting both heads, not monitors attached to
> both heads.

I tried both of these ideas, separately and together. Seem to be getting
closer. Instead of a blank screen I get random coloured vertical bars on
parts of the screen. Still get this:

(II) RADEON(0): Primary:
Monitor -- TMDS
Connector -- DVI-D
DAC Type -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
TMDS Type -- Internal
DDC Type -- VGA_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
Monitor -- CRT
Connector -- VGA
DAC Type -- Primary
TMDS Type -- External
DDC Type -- DVI_DDC

Should note here, there is no VGA connector on the card. There is a DVI
connector (the one I am using) and the one that looks like DVI, but bigger,
ADC I think?

> If that doesn't work, please let us know. :)
> -Joe

Still no joy. Sorry for taking so long to get back to the list, I had to go
out...

-d
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
quoth the Louis Hey:

> Try Xorgconfig auto will not work for my mac I have Dual 1.8 17 Studio
> also check the video ram amount That has helped to get X running fine
> every time
>
> Good Luck

I gave it a shot, but it didn't work. The xorg.conf that Xorgautoconfig came
up with was much superior...

-d
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]

darren kirby wrote:
> quoth the Joseph Jezak:
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
>> Well, two suggestions here:
>>
>> 1. From the radeon man page:
>> Option "ReverseDDC" "boolean"
>> When BIOS connector informations aren't available, use this
>> option to reverse the mapping of the 2 main DDC ports. Use this
>> if the X serve obviously detects the wrong display for each
>> connector. This is typically needed on the Radeon 9600 cards
>> bundled with Apple G5s. The default is off.
>>
>> 2. Try adding
>> Option "MergedFB" "false"
>> It looks like it's detecting both heads, not monitors attached to
>> both heads.
>
> I tried both of these ideas, separately and together. Seem to be getting
> closer. Instead of a blank screen I get random coloured vertical bars on
> parts of the screen. Still get this:
>
> (II) RADEON(0): Primary:
> Monitor -- TMDS
> Connector -- DVI-D
> DAC Type -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
> TMDS Type -- Internal
> DDC Type -- VGA_DDC
> (II) RADEON(0): Secondary:
> Monitor -- CRT
> Connector -- VGA
> DAC Type -- Primary
> TMDS Type -- External
> DDC Type -- DVI_DDC
>
> Should note here, there is no VGA connector on the card. There is a DVI
> connector (the one I am using) and the one that looks like DVI, but bigger,
> ADC I think?
>
>> If that doesn't work, please let us know. :)
>> -Joe
>
> Still no joy. Sorry for taking so long to get back to the list, I had to go
> out...
>
> -d

Alright, one more thing to test, can you try adding:
Option "UseFBDev" "boolean"
With either false or true?

Stick with it, we'll get it working ;)
- -Joe
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
quoth the Joseph Jezak:

Good morning Joseph,

> Alright, one more thing to test, can you try adding:
> Option "UseFBDev" "boolean"
> With either false or true?

> Stick with it, we'll get it working ;)
> -Joe

Yeah!!!

That's the one. Added "UseFBDev" "true" and it fired right up. Thank you so
much for the help. Interestingly, I accidentally deleted the xorg.conf that I
had modified (I just woke up, no coffee yet), so the one that ended up
working was another stock Xorgautoconfig generated one with only the above
line added.

Again, thanks so much, I really appreciate it. ;)

-d
Re: xorg not working. [ In reply to ]
Louis Hey wrote:
> Joseph Jezak wrote:
>>> Try Xorgconfig auto will not work for my mac I have Dual 1.8 17
>>> Studio
>>> also check the video ram amount That has helped to get X running fine
>>> every time
>>>

>> Well, as the author of Xorgautoconfig, what was the problem? :) Can
>> you post the config generated from each so I can fix it?
>>
>> -Joe
>>
> Joe I need to get yaboot working first but will send info I wish i
> could tell you what the problem was I think it was with the ram
> amount In the Xorgconfig I have to use card # Nvidia 349 Then X
> will run
> I will look though my notes for now I am installing 6.1 no doubt i
> will have pleaty of problems
> In this order Yaboot ........ Then getting X to work
> Thanks for the work to bring Xautoconfig I will try it later today
> Louis

Joe just install 2006.1 on ppc64 Xautoconfig worked the first time
yaboot was simple this time just had to add ofboot=hd:2 to Yaboot
config and wow reboot login and start x
Louis