Mailing List Archive

New install fails to boot.
Hi again.

Managed to muddle through the install (mostly) OK, but my kernel is not
booting. First of all, when building the kernel the guide says to use "make
vmlinux && make modules_install" so I faithfully followed the instructions.
This built me a kernel with no modules for some reason. So I built a new one
in the fashion I am accustomed to: I did "make && make modules_install". This
time my modules were made, and I copied vmlinux to /boot.

Then, when I tried using yabootconfig as in the manual it failed on me, saying
something like "failed to get required information. Did you use
yabootconfig --chroot" or somesuch. So I created a yaboot.conf manually,
using the guide as a model. I rebooted, and yaboot seemed to be working, it
gave me the menu and everything but Linux would not boot (more on this
later)..

So I booted the livecd again, and this time I
ran "yabootconfig --chroot=/mnt/gentoo" and this time it worked, but didn't
create a menu entry for OS X or to boot from the CD. So I mix and matched and
currently have this:

###########
boot=/dev/sda2

ofboot=hd:2

device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@7/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@0/disk@0:
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
root=/dev/sda4
partition=4
read-only

macosx=ultra1:3
enablecdboot
enableofboot
########

Info:
sda1 partition map
sda2 apple bootstrap
sda3 linux swap
sda4 linux '/'

sdb1 partition map
sdb2 apple bootstrap
sdb3 OS X

Again I rebooted, and all seems fine. It boots from a CD, it boots OS X just
fine, but the one constant throughout all my attempts is that when trying to
boot Linux, it prints this cryptic message and hangs:

found display :/pci@0,f0000000/ATY,SimoneParent@10/ATX, Simone_B@1, opening...

Since yaboot seems to be working fine otherwise, I am thinking this may be a
kernel issue, but truly I have no idea. Have I forgotten something important?
I can post the kernel config if you want to see it.

Does anyone recognize what may have happened here?

Thanks,
-d
Re: New install fails to boot. [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Got it working. I am not sure what I forgot but I used the kernel config from
here: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_a_G5

and it fired right up. Still some errors/warnings on boot, but I think I can
figure them out. Now to install X...

-d
Re: New install fails to boot. [ In reply to ]
> Again I rebooted, and all seems fine. It boots from a CD, it boots OS X just
> fine, but the one constant throughout all my attempts is that when trying to
> boot Linux, it prints this cryptic message and hangs:
>
> found display :/pci@0,f0000000/ATY,SimoneParent@10/ATX, Simone_B@1, opening...

This issue is almost always a result of not including the proper
Framebuffer drivers.

-Joe
Re: New install fails to boot. [ In reply to ]
quoth the Joseph Jezak:
> > Again I rebooted, and all seems fine. It boots from a CD, it boots OS X
> > just fine, but the one constant throughout all my attempts is that when
> > trying to boot Linux, it prints this cryptic message and hangs:
> >
> > found display :/pci@0,f0000000/ATY,SimoneParent@10/ATX, Simone_B@1,
> > opening...
>
> This issue is almost always a result of not including the proper
> Framebuffer drivers.
>
> -Joe

Hi.

I did make sure I included support for 'radeon framebuffer'. I noticed I did
not include support for USB monitor, so that may have been the culprit. In
any event, I am up and running now (thanks to the config I found at the wiki)
so all is good!

Just building kde now, and will attempt Xorg configuration tomorrow...

-d