Mailing List Archive

ATI configuration?
I have a beige G3 desktop 233mhz with 512M ram that has an ATI chipset on
the motherboard and an ATI chipset in a PCI VGA card (which the monitor is
attached to). When I use xorgconfig I have to use fbdev as the ati choice
will not work on testing. This gives me a 1280x1024 screen which works well
on a 17” monitor, but the colors are all wrong.

When I use Xorg –configure I get a working configuration with the ati
driver, but the screen is (maybe) 640x480 and that’s it. I’ve tried merging
the two files in every combination I can think of, and am not getting
anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark M. Hart

Re: ATI configuration? [ In reply to ]
There is an ebuild Xorgautoconfig specifically for this purpose. The
generated xorg.conf needs some slight adjustments but seems to give good
results.

--
Kmail on Gentoo/PPC

RE: ATI configuration? [ In reply to ]
I'm new at this, and I don't know about ebuild yet. Can you give me a hint
about what I should do to get the Xorgautoconfig built?

Thanks!

Mark M. Hart
markmhart@gmail.com

--
Kmail on Gentoo/PPC

RE: ATI configuration? [ In reply to ]
I just did an emerge on Xorgautoconfig and ran the command, but the
xorg.conf file it makes doesn't work - it tells me that ATI(0) Adapter has
not been initialized, and Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
configuration.

It sets Mode 1024x768 at several depths, which I can live with, and default
mode of 16, which I can also live with. Now if I could just get it to work

--
Kmail on Gentoo/PPC

Re: ATI configuration? [ In reply to ]
I believe that either you are missing a driver in your kernel, or haven't
loaded it if set as a module.
On Thursday 04 May 2006 9:41 am, Mark M. Hart wrote:
> I just did an emerge on Xorgautoconfig and ran the command, but the
> xorg.conf file it makes doesn't work - it tells me that ATI(0) Adapter has
> not been initialized, and Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
> configuration.
>
> It sets Mode 1024x768 at several depths, which I can live with, and default
> mode of 16, which I can also live with. Now if I could just get it to work
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark M. Hart

Kmail on Gentoo/PPC

Re: ATI configuration? [ In reply to ]
RE: ATI configuration? [ In reply to ]
I got the fbdev version of the config file working by setting the default
depth to 16 instead of 24. This is an old 233 mhz box, and slow video isn't
going to make that much difference, I think. I would like to know at some
point how to get ATI video going with "real" drivers for my faster machine
when I move it from OS X to gentoo - maybe I have to compile it into the
kernel when I do my genkernel -menuconfig all command?

Thanks!

Mark M. Hart
markmhart@gmail.com