though I don't ever remember installing esound. So maybe it was
installed by emerging gnome or something like that.

--Mike S
Re: Sound [ In reply to ]
On Wed August 10 2005 19:48, Mike S wrote:

> ok I have many questions this time. I set this variable before but for
> get where it was. There is something that emerge can to to
> automatically write over existing configuration files. And when I first
> installed gentoo I set it to do that, not knowing how annoying it could
> be. Now I hope someone can help me in changing that back, as when I ran

You want to read the output of "emerge --help config". Right now.

After that, you should probably spend some relaxing time with "man make.conf"
and a cup of your favorite non-alcoholic beverage.

Regarding sound, I know better than to try to help. :( My sound is touchy
at best; just when I seem to have everything working I'll find that xine
can't play sound but mplayer can, or they both can but KDE desktop sounds
don't work any more while XMMS does. (I've also resolved not to ask for help
with this until I migrate from devfs to udev, which failed the first time I
tried it.)

--
// Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@amessage.info :: PGP 50238D9E
//
Re: Sound [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:48:34 -0700, Mike S wrote:

> ok I have many questions this time. I set this variable before but for
> get where it was. There is something that emerge can to to
> automatically write over existing configuration files. And when I
> first installed gentoo I set it to do that, not knowing how annoying it
> could be. Now I hope someone can help me in changing that back, as
> when I ran emerge world a lot of settings were deleted, some of which
> have been easy to change, and some not.

The variable is CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK, set in /etc/make.conf. It sound
slike you set it to "/etc", which is a dangerous thing to do, especially
when you emerge a baselayout update and your fstab and passwd files get
overwritten. Comment out the setting in make.conf, or set it to contain
only directories where you know it is safe for emerge to overwrite files.
I have it set to "/etc/init.d".

--
Neil Bothwick

The trouble with the world is that everybody in it is three drinks behind.
Re: Sound [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:48:34 -0700, Mike S wrote:
>

>>ok I have many questions this time. I set this variable before but for
>>get where it was. There is something that emerge can to to
>>automatically write over existing configuration files. And when I
>>first installed gentoo I set it to do that, not knowing how annoying it
>>could be. Now I hope someone can help me in changing that back, as
>>when I ran emerge world a lot of settings were deleted, some of which
>>have been easy to change, and some not.
>>

>The variable is CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK, set in /etc/make.conf. It sound
>slike you set it to "/etc", which is a dangerous thing to do, especially
>when you emerge a baselayout update and your fstab and passwd files get
>overwritten. Comment out the setting in make.conf, or set it to contain
>only directories where you know it is safe for emerge to overwrite files.
>I have it set to "/etc/init.d".

well I checked the /etc/make.conf file, and yes you were right (almost)
I am not sure what the difference is, but I am sure that I will find out
sooner or later, instead of CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK variable set to
something I had CONFIG_PROTECT="-*". So for the time being I just
commented that line out, and will maybe change it once I learn more
about it.

I will investigate the difference between CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK and
CONFIG_PROTECT and see what the difference is (if any), or if they are
merely the same variable with different names, which I have noticed on
some distributions happens because of multiple developers not all
keeping up to speed with each other. Though from what I have see so far
gentoo is one of the more professional distributions and that will
probably not be the case.

Thanks Neil,
--Mike S
Re: Sound [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:57:36 -0700, Mike S wrote:

> well I checked the /etc/make.conf file, and yes you were right
> (almost) I am not sure what the difference is, but I am sure that I
> will find out sooner or later, instead of CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK variable
> set to something I had CONFIG_PROTECT="-*". So for the time being I
> just commented that line out, and will maybe change it once I learn
> more about it.

A wise move. It is not a good idea to add settings you don't fully
understand to a system-critical config file :(

> I will investigate the difference between CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK and
> CONFIG_PROTECT and see what the difference is (if any), or if they are
> merely the same variable with different names,

In fact, they are complete opposites of each other. See man make.conf for
more details.

CONFIG_PROTECT = [space delimited list of dirs]
All directories that are defined here will have "config file
protection" enabled for them. For more information, please see
`emerge --help config`.

CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK = [space delimited list of dirs] All directories that
are defined here will have "config file protection" disabled for
them. For more information, please see `emerge --help config`.

--
Neil Bothwick

Me? FAT? No, just horizontally disproportionate...